Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Cleaning Your Finds

Old 10-15-2018, 01:08 PM
Supporter

Default Dont Spend Hours Tumbling Coins

I see all kinds of posts on here all the time of people tumbling coins for hours on end, using all kinds of media etc.....I spend a total of 20 minutes period !! Banks arent giving prizes for the prettiest coins.

Separate silver clad from pennies first. Fill canister 3/4 with coins, add water just over coins, two table spoons regular morton salt, and lastly add a few splashes of CLR.....Tumble 20 mins and your done...No stones, no media of anykind...just coins and ingredients...works just fine, clean as can be in 20 minutes...Give it a try.
Attached Images

6 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:27 PM
Supporter

Sounds and looks good, especially without any media...I will give it a try. Thanks!

Oldest coin: 1760 Colonial Half Penny; Oldest US coin: 1796 Large Cent; Oldest US silver coin: 1861 Liberty Seat Dime; 2017 FTY Clad: $616.38; 2018 FTY Clad: $1,785.42
Most coin record amounts found on one single various of days: Quarters-165; Dimes-103; Nickels-53. 2019 FTY Silvers: 50

Old 10-15-2018, 01:43 PM
Supporter

very interesting.....

Old 10-15-2018, 02:18 PM
Elite Member

I haven't used CLR, but I agree that hours are not needed. It isn't a beauty contest, clean enough to pass the coinstar is all I need.

BCD

Old 10-16-2018, 01:38 PM
Supporter

Very Helpful! Very cool for you to post a super shortcut for the claddies! Here we are coming into prime time clad harvest season, a guy needs the super shortcuts...

I'll dump a little bit of CLR into my wash tub clad bucket in the trunk to knock the stink off before running finds through the CoinStar!...plus a guy needs to carry a smooth faced hammer to flatten out the mower strikes...and even a file, to knock off the rough edges...

I got rid of my twin barrel tumbler long ago..just too much time and effort for dirty clad...Hey its all money though, a guy has to be efficient and fast when it comes to clad!

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Old 10-16-2018, 01:43 PM
Elite Member

I often use CLR in my tumbler as well, stuff works good. Not tried it without the media (aquarium gravel) but may have to give it a whirl if I get out clad stabbing again anytime some. Been looking for old stuff lately in out of the way places, don't think I got $5 in clad all summer and nowhere near enough to fill the tumbler. That said, soccer season will be ending soon and I'll need to check if the sports fields have replenished themselves over the season.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by arw40 View post
I see all kinds of posts on here all the time of people tumbling coins for hours on end, using all kinds of media etc.....I spend a total of 20 minutes period !! Banks arent giving prizes for the prettiest coins.

Separate silver clad from pennies first. Fill canister 3/4 with coins, add water just over coins, two table spoons regular morton salt, and lastly add a few splashes of CLR.....Tumble 20 mins and your done...No stones, no media of anykind...just coins and ingredients...works just fine, clean as can be in 20 minutes...Give it a try.
What brand of tumbler are you using?

Old 10-18-2018, 05:23 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by MidTN View post
What brand of tumbler are you using?
All I have is a single barrel tumbler from Harbor Freight. Inexpensive and works great ! I have had it 6 years now.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:06 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by BufordCityDawg View post
I haven't used CLR, but I agree that hours are not needed. It isn't a beauty contest, clean enough to pass the coinstar is all I need.

BCD
Agree. Plus I normally don't stand and watch the drums spin

Squad Leader: Team Cupcake

Old 12-07-2018, 03:10 PM
Elite Member

Default Dont Spend Hours Tumbling

Originally Posted by arw40 View post

arw40,

Sorry for late reply. I just came across your post recently and will try your method for coins going to the bank for bills.

Thanks much !
ToddB64

Teknetics Gamma 6000, Tesoro Bandido II µMax and Compadre, Whites Classic II, Garrett Ace250 and Pro-Pointer AT, Vibra-Probe 580, Cen-Tech Pinpointer, Lesche Digger, Tabdog Digger Replica I made, RatphonesMax Headphones, Janster Coin Probe.

Old 12-07-2018, 03:18 PM
Elite Member

Location: Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and Kansas

Not sure how this will do on my clay encrusted coins but I will give it a try.

Sincerely, the opportunist."

Old 12-08-2018, 03:22 PM
Athletic Supporter

I use CLR all the time, but I've always used media. I'll now try without. Thx.

R5

Old 12-08-2018, 08:44 PM
Supporter

I'm getting a tumbler soon, as I will be up to 5000 coins in a month or two. I always read the tumbler threads and thought "Seems like the other coins are...media themselves". I'll try it both ways when I get going. Thanks for the post!

Old 12-15-2018, 02:05 PM

Default Dont Spend Hours Tumbling Coins

What I learned today: DON’T add muriatic acid to the tumbling liquid. I ran a batch of copper and zinc pennies today and thought, “CLR is an acidic mixture. Let’s take it to the next level and add a wee bit of muriatic acid instead of CLR and see what happens.”

Well, things did get clean fast. But any flaw in a zincoin turned into black craters, an edges of a few were eaten away. But on the other hand, the copper pennies are super clean. Kind of an unnatural color, but they should go through the Coinstar machine just fine.

Old 12-30-2018, 01:49 PM

You might try vinegar in the tumbler. It is safe and won't hurt your septic tank. Don't use it on the good old finds though. It is too rough for old copper. Sometimes I use 1/2 vinegar to 1/2 water with a few drops of Dawn dish soap.

Old 01-04-2019, 03:26 AM

Thumbs up Well done, arw!

Thank you for this thread, arw.

You have shown me the proverbial better mousetrap...CLR!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:13 PM

Anybody know why they are adding the Salt? I would think the water would dissolve the salt and not add much in the way of benefit. What am I missing?

Ray

Old 02-13-2019, 11:55 PM

Maybe giving those copper ions coming out off the green crusty stuff something to bond to. (The Chlorine anions). I imagine, though, the copper is dissolved in water as CuOH, and I'm not sure if Cu2+ would have a greater infinity for Cl-

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 02-14-2019, 02:59 PM

Does this work for crusty pennies too?

Old 05-12-2019, 08:56 PM

I tried this today. The coins are clean, but they are pink. Is there any way to get rid of the pink color?