Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Coinshooters and Relic Hunters

Old 01-26-2006, 09:29 PM

Default wheaties with no good signals

my bro. and i have been to an old site detecting, the problem is we both been getting very jumpy signals.. mainly signals like penny, dime one way to very jumpy signals the other way. so when we dig it we end up many times digging up a wheatie. the soil is mainly very dark [ good digging soil] but i was wondering about reducing my sens. a little to settle down the jumpy signals.
any imput would be gladly accepted..
idxwodd

Old 01-26-2006, 10:32 PM

How deep are the pennies? I get this on deeper coins in the deeper end of things.

scott

Old 01-27-2006, 12:56 AM
Forum Chipmunk

Wheats and dimes are very close in response on a metal detector. Sounds like yours is working fine to me?

Old 01-27-2006, 02:33 PM

Have to agree with Okie, my machine the tones are the same for both pennies and dimes.................

SteveK

Old 01-27-2006, 08:52 PM

the pennies are around 4 inches down. i have dug many pennies deeper with more solid signals than this particular area. i don't recall having such erratic signals on coins not down very deep. sometimes i have to pinpoint in all -metal because i can't get any signals from front to back . is there a easy way to find out how much of this is just soil conditions.
thanks for responding
idxwodd..