Finding locations

tag1260

OK. Is there a sort of rule of thumb that ells you an area is worth going into or not? How do you find good locations. Thanks

OK. Is there a sort of rule of thumb that ells you an area is worth going into or not? How do you find good locations. Thanks

balls! and a "gat" to protect yourself! i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I just go where no human has ever gone before and I got very good at finding what nobody has ever lost!

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

I relic hunt, so for me it comes down to finding old maps and checking them against new ones for old homes, farms, etc. It's how I landed on some unknown skirmish site that's civil war.

But if you're looking for empty lots around town, just be careful of sites that look like they have had earth works done (like a house pad). If a newer house was torn down or the dirt was laid and nothing was built, you could be talking about several feet of dirt added to the original lot.

If it is an area where people have regularly walked in the past, or maybe known locations where food trucks have always stopped or snow cones stands, of course these need to be grassy places, also depends what you are looking to find, clad or older coins, or relic hunting.

Also places where they have carnivals or festivals/fairs/flea markets on grassy areas, our town has a yearly festival and our state has a state fair, but both are on paved areas so no digging those places :lol:

my rule of thumb (and i don't tell this to many, so lean in real close): there's ground that is diggable.

Thanks everyone. I guess there's no method to this madness of picking spots.

ok tag there are proven methods.

drive around and spot empty lots with large old hardwood trees with an area in the middle big enough for a house. Before air conditioning, people built homes under hardwood trees. cool in summer, warmer in winter because om the winter they lost the leaves and let more sun on the house.

some even have driveways from the road.

Use historicaerials.com to find old topo maps which indicate occupied dwellings with a black square or rectangle.

ones with just a black outline are out buildings. they also show old roads that many not be roads now. can easily find current location by copying the lat/long and pasting into google earth. You can also use google earth to follow roads and look for old empty lots with big hardwood trees. Look from above for suspects and switch to street level to get a driver's eye view. Often you can read the for sale sign and contact the realtor for permission. I have a 100% record of getting permissions this way.

You can use the historic aerials fader/slider to compare to current aerial photo. if on public land or discarded land you can usually hunt without permission.

Get to know some older Masons in your area. They have a wealth of knowledge of what once was in your area. eg, old schools, churches, carnival or fair sites, swimming holes etc.

Any place in the past where people congregated is ideal.

One guy had a neighbor and she told him of an older woman who was in the habit of throwing coins in her back yard in the 1930's. so when she ran out of money, she went out back and searched the grass for coins to buy milk, eggs and bread. He followed up, found the house and got permission and found hundreds of silver coins.

good researching on rainy cold days or during heat waves and drought can be productive. You should always have 2-3 prospective sites lined up.

One guy had a neighbor and she told him of an older woman who was in the habit of throwing coins in her back yard in the 1930's. so when she ran out of money, she went out back and searched the grass for coins to buy milk, eggs and bread. He followed up, found the house and got permission and found hundreds of silver coins.

Thats got to be the craziest coin story I've heard!..lol. I've seen people throw pennies but ....

I just go where no human has ever gone before and I got very good at finding what nobody has ever lost!

This is actually very astute and bears some consideration...Ya see, We are hunting Humans through the fog of time, so it benefits us to understand Human preferences and travel patterns..Humans as a whole are very lazy and frail and prefer certain kinds of terrain over others...The EASY path! Theres still places in every Country and State where no human foot has EVER trod, on account if its too damn hard and theres no reason to go there! Ya gotta think like a Human!

Louis and Clark for instance, they took the easy route, they cut through Mountain saddles and stayed close to waterways...they didnt go straight over the top of the Rockies in a straight line! They crossed rivers at shallow points...They camped in certain favorable areas...they didnt bed down in a swamp like a deer if they didnt have to....

Same with a Park or a ballfield or beach...People take the easiest path, sometimes they want to be in the Sun, sometimes in the shade, generally traveling with the prevailing wind at their back....never too far from the parking lot or the concessions or the toilets! Food N water baby...

Lets say theres a N-S stretch of beach with an access and with the prevailing wind out of the North, most folks head S downwind to set up for the day...

So with this in mind, we look at terrain even via the satellite and say to ourselves..."Where would I go if I were a Human?"..."Where would I build a house in this valley or set up to camp? Where would I cross this river, stream or creek? Whats the easiest way around this Mountain? Where would I set up my chairs to watch my kid play soccer on this field?

Then you go there and fire up your rig and check for evidence...Humans also throw off a lot of metallic junk, they always have, and the junk leads the way to keep you on the trail...then, after you get really good on tracking Humans, you start asking yourself what is this junk telling you?

You tracked them down, now lets profile the quarry! The junk will tell you! Is it a Man or a Woman, what Demographic, what age, Married or Single? Smoker or non? When were they here? and why?

This is where the fun begins....You can really get to know a person through the fog of Time and what they were doing here on this specific spot 100 yrs ago...Or last Year, or last weekend, or yesterday...Humans are easy to track..so thats how you find hunting locations...You study Mankinds interaction with topography and think like a Human.....

Last edited:
This is actually very astute and bears some consideration...Ya see, We are hunting Humans through the fog of time, so it benefits us to understand Human preferences and travel patterns..Humans as a whole are very lazy and frail and prefer certain kinds of terrain over others...The EASY path! Theres still places in every Country and State where no human foot has EVER trod, on account if its too damn hard and theres no reason to go there! Ya gotta think like a Human!

Louis and Clark for instance, they took the easy route, they cut through Mountain saddles and stayed close to waterways...they didnt go straight over the top of the Rockies in a straight line! They crossed rivers at shallow points...They camped in certain favorable areas...they didnt bed down in a swamp like a deer if they didnt have to....

Same with a Park or a ballfield or beach...People take the easiest path, sometimes they want to be in the Sun, sometimes in the shade, generally traveling with the prevailing wind at their back....never too far from the parking lot or the concessions or the toilets! Food N water baby...

Lets say theres a N-S stretch of beach with an access and with the prevailing wind out of the North, most folks head S downwind to set up for the day...

So with this in mind, we look at terrain even via the satellite and say to ourselves..."Where would I go if I were a Human?"..."Where would I build a house in this valley or set up to camp? Where would I cross this river, stream or creek? Whats the easiest way around this Mountain? Where would I set up my chairs to watch my kid play soccer on this field?

Then you go there and fire up your rig and check for evidence...Humans also throw off a lot of metallic junk, they always have, and the junk leads the way to keep you on the trail...then, after you get really good on tracking Humans, you start asking yourself what is this junk telling you?

You tracked them down, now lets profile the quarry! The junk will tell you! Is it a Man or a Woman, what Demographic, what age, Married or Single? Smoker or non? When were they here? and why?

This is where the fun begins....You can really get to know a person through the fog of Time and what they were doing here on this specific spot 100 yrs ago...Or last Year, or last weekend, or yesterday...Humans are easy to track..so thats how you find hunting locations...You study Mankinds interaction with topography and think like a Human.....

Humans suck lol. Follow the deer trails, that’s what humans do. They cheat off nature [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom