Why are these in SW Arkansas?

JaycePSimmons

1FB0371E-7D78-47E1-9AF5-4A6D1970BB07.jpg

Three truly amazing finds for Arkansas or any state.
You just never know what unexpected great finds are there until you dig.

I live in Northwest Arkansas, and have found many revolutionary and war of 1812 buttons, and of course loads of civil war items.

I always attributed the earlier stuff to be from veterans who had eventually moved further West, and to the fact that good metal buttons were a premium when people were making their own clothes, and were likely kept and re-used in many cases.

Just my thoughts, but i do know my Grandparents, who were born around 1900, still saved buttons off of worn out clothing to reuse later.

I live in Northwest Arkansas, and have found many revolutionary and war of 1812 buttons, and of course loads of civil war items.

I always attributed the earlier stuff to be from veterans who had eventually moved further West, and to the fact that good metal buttons were a premium when people were making their own clothes, and were likely kept and re-used in many cases.

Just my thoughts, but i do know my Grandparents, who were born around 1900, still saved buttons off of worn out clothing to reuse later.

I always figured that and also the pride someone had from fighting in those wars. They may have kept them as a memento. Think of all the funeral buttons, election buttons, etc that you find. That was a big deal for a lot of people back then to have buttons showing relation or respect to something.

Buttons were cut off the dead and sometimes the wounded for souvenirs.
Brig. General William Barksdale, former U.S. congressmen, was wounded on
July 2, 1863 in the peach orchard at the battle of Gettysburg. The federal troops laid him in the yard of the Joseph Hummelbaugh farmhouse because he was deemed to be fatally wounded. He died the next day and overnight federal troops cut buttons and insignia off his clothes for war souvenirs while he was dying.
Buttons can be found in unusual areas for many reasons.

Last edited:
I'm in hope Arkansas in sw Arkansas and have found a war of 1812 regiment of rifleman button at a home place off the southwest trail

Maybe this will help with you search for the confederate camp.randolph is a ghost town 7 miles north of Bradley The 2 flag symbols are Confederate camps between there and Lewisville. If you could locate these ford's you can find the camps. This is from a Confederate cartographers journal.

Attachments

• Compress_20221102_070238_8721.jpg
    Compress_20221102_070238_8721.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 233
Maybe this will help with you search for the confederate camp.randolph is a ghost town 7 miles north of Bradley The 2 flag symbols are Confederate camps between there and Lewisville. If you could locate these ford's you can find the camps. This is from a Confederate cartographers journal.

Thanks for the info! I live minutes away from those fords I believe. How would I go about getting a look at that journal? I see you’re from Hope. I think I may have met you one day when I was detecting either at Fair Park in Hope or behind the post office in Buckner. Only time I’ve ever ran into other detectorists around here.

Back
Top Bottom