Nova Caesarea coin

VestaHill

Hi Everyone!

I am a long time browser, but first time poster in the north eastern US. I've been metal detecting for about 2 years now, fulfilling a life long dream from when I was a child and would see people on the beach looking for "treasure."

I have mainly metal detected my property which is a tenant farm from circa 1850, but have to say I am very grateful for the amount of finds I have discovered.

This is my latest and something I never thought I'd find here since the house post dates this coin by about 70 years.

I had never even known of this coin's existence until I researched it. Prior to the Federal mints, the U.S. had several states mint coins. This is a penny minted in New Jersey between 1786 and 1790.

Anyone have any tips on how to clean it up more even though it is toasted. I know cleaning of coins can be subjective, but I was hoping to at least get it in a little better shape if possible. I've attached my photo, plus a photo of one in better condition. Thanks!

Attachments

• NC copy.jpg
    NC copy.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 448
  • img.jpeg
    img.jpeg
    53.3 KB · Views: 378
  • reverse.jpeg
    reverse.jpeg
    58.7 KB · Views: 382
Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. That's an outstanding find. I hope there are other pieces of history there.

Ken

Wow man that is amazing!

I don't know if I would clean that, although it would always but me wondering if there was more detail hiding under the crust.

If I did I'd try distilled water and a toothpick and see what happens. Be aware that sometimes the crust is what holds on any details and when you clean it, you can lose details.

Good luck and congrats!

Hi Everyone!

I am a long time browser, but first time poster in the north eastern US. I've been metal detecting for about 2 years now, fulfilling a life long dream from when I was a child and would see people on the beach looking for "treasure."

I have mainly metal detected my property which is a tenant farm from circa 1850, but have to say I am very grateful for the amount of finds I have discovered.

This is my latest and something I never thought I'd find here since the house post dates this coin by about 70 years.

I had never even known of this coin's existence until I researched it. Prior to the Federal mints, the U.S. had several states mint coins. This is a penny minted in New Jersey between 1786 and 1790.

Anyone have any tips on how to clean it up more even though it is toasted. I know cleaning of coins can be subjective, but I was hoping to at least get it in a little better shape if possible. I've attached my photo, plus a photo of one in better condition. Thanks!

All the cleaning I have ever done made my coins worse. I would leave it alone and enjoy the coin as it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suppose I would try a little boiling peroxide and a toothpick.
If it got better, I would do a little more.
If not, I would leave it alone.

Just put it in a small glass/corning bowl with 2" of peroxide.
Put it in the microwave (yes with the coin in it) for 20 seconds.
Watch it bubble, let it cool for 60 seconds.
Then scrape gently with the toothpick.

Thanks all! I may just leave it as is - maybe someday I'll be brave enough to try the peroxide method.

It looks perfect the way it is now. Any further cleaning will probably wipe out further details. Congrats of the nice find- you might be able to further classify that as to which Maris it is.

Back
Top Bottom