• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Old bottles. Does anyone know anything about these bottles or maybe a date range?

You must be in California as per those counties in your profile.
The first and second bottles, hard to tell but I would guess 1920s. Where the seam stops is a factor in dating most bottles (but not always). The Carter Ink probably 1915-20 or so. That last one is quite modern.

Last edited:

The first and second bottles, hard to tell but I would guess 1920s. Where the saem stops is a factor in dating most bottles (but not always). The Carter Ink probably 1915-20 or so. That last one is quite modern.

Awesome! Thanks!

Deus Rules!!

The first and second bottles, hard to tell but I would guess 1920s. Where the saem stops is a factor in dating most bottles (but not always). The Carter Ink probably 1915-20 or so. That last one is quite modern.

I would agree with all of what glasshopper has said, I'm thinking the ink well is the oldest of the bunch, going by looks. Notice its sorta purple in color? Some bottles have a certain mineral (I cant remember which at the moment- possibly manganese?) that when exposed to sunlight for extended periods of time, it will actually slowly turn purple. Cool bottles!

You’re right, Jeff... it was manganese. It was used as an agent to make the glass clear, but when that clear glass was exposed to ultra-violet light, the glass gradually turned purple, or SCA (Sun Colored Amethyst). Bottle companies stopped using Manganese sometime after 1900, as it was a strategic element used in the manufacturing of stainless steel and other processes. I don’t remember what they replaced it with as a clearing agent.
Some unscrupulous bottle dealers would artificially ‘purple’ their clear glass to increase the value of their bottles. Not sure I got all the details of this 100%, but that is my understanding from my reading on the subject.
Jim

Last edited:
You’re right, Jeff... it was manganese. It was used as an agent to make the glass clear, but when that clear glass was exposed to ultra-violet light, the glass gradually turned purple, or SCA (Sun Colored Amethyst). Bottle companies stopped using Manganese sometime after 1900, as it was a strategic element used in the manufacturing of stainless steel and other processes. I don’t remember what they replaced it with as a clearing agent.
Some unscrupulous bottle dealers would artificially ‘purple’ their clear glass to increase the value of their bottles. Not sure I got all the details of this 100%, but that is my understanding from my reading on the subject.
Jim

10-4 there's an antique mall in Niles, Michigan with a dealer who has a bunch of fake purpled glass. Many of the bottles would have been nice if not for that. I cringe everytime I see that worthless junk.

Back
Top Bottom