Simplex New Coil Question

Dodge92

First, apologies if I have missed the answer somewhere here. I looked on Nokta's website and there are no detailed answers. Question is simply: what is the application differences between the two new small coils?

Dodge92: said:
First, apologies if I have missed the answer somewhere here. I looked on Nokta's website and there are no detailed answers. Question is simply: what is the application differences between the two new small coils?
A very good question, and I feel the main answer is more related to a consumer's psychological appeal of the two coils. It's more on how we each interpret their likelihood to help us out for whatever task or type of hunting we do. no different that picking any other search coil, and probably related to some of the reasons manufacturers make their coil selection to be assigned duty as a 'standard' coil. I have my decisions having tried both coils.

1st.. Both search coils they brought out ARE a smaller-size than the big standard 11" DD coil. However, I do NOT consider them to be a "small" coil size. They are a mid-sized search coil that do help us out with less coverage that we need for hunting in some trash or confined spaces.

2nd.. The "application" would be up to the end user, but since the standard coil is the larger-size, round 11" DD coil, then there could only be a few considerations to make:

a.. Is a smaller-SIZE coil lighter-weight?

b.. Does one of the new coils balance better than the standard coil?

c.. Does a coil provide a better 'fit' in-and-around problem trash, or structures, dense weeds and brush, or building rubble?

d.. In the end, does the consumer feel there is a 'functional or useful purpose' for the coil compared with the standard coil?

e.. For those who own and use more than one detector, does the Simplex + and a new coil choice 'complement the working detector outfit' compared with other detectors and their 'assigned' search coils?

My New Coil Observations and My Coil Choice:

For the record, I'll let folks know that I have never enjoyed owning multiple search coils and making frequent in-the-field search coil changes. I also don't like to own more than two coils, if that many, for any particular make or model detector. Most o the time, when I evaluate a detector I am also evaluating the available search coils to find if a detector mode, and perhaps a particular coil, provide me with a good answer to 'a' thru 'e' above. If I find a good detector and coil match, I just keep the best search coil mounted full-time. At least with most detectors I enjoy using.

I've owned my first Simplex + since way back last November and have been, and still am, hoping for a smaller-size search coil for the Simplex +. I round-shaped coil in the 4½" to 5½" diameter, and nothing larger than 6" in diameter. I dedicated SMALL coil to best handle the very dense ferrous debris sites that a lot of avid Relic Hunters encounter, and it would also help a Coin Hunter deal with intense modern trash, work closer to metal structures and be handier for working in and around heavy brush, etc.

Sadly, and a surprise to me, was that it took Nokta / Makro a long time to offer any accessory coils for this model, and all we got, so far, were two mid-size choices. The round-shaped 8½" DD and the elliptically-shaped 5X9½ DD.

A good friend bough both coils and he opened them at my house and we checked them out. Right from the start I didn't like the appearance of the round coil for two reasons:

It was heavy compared with most search coils we are offered today. Much heavier than I thought to be comfortable.

The rod-mount 'ears' are not positioned at or close to the center of the coil, but are too far to the rear. That results in a nose-heavy balance and 'feel' and also makes the coil easier to get bumped out of a flat-to-the-ground alignment.

Then I checked out the elliptically-shaped DD coil, which is their open-frame 5X9½" design. I noted this:

► The rod-mount point was closer to center-axis, like the same appearing coils I have for my Nokta CoRe or Nokta Relic, and that was a good thing.

► In-hand, and with the other two to heft and compare, the 5X9½ DD Simplex + coil seemed to feel just a little heavier. That was possibly because I was anticipating a lighter-weight coil for the comfortable-shaped Simplex +.

But mounted on the end of the rod and worked at a proper rod-length and comparing it with the standard 11" DD coil, I felt the 5X9½ DD was definitely the better-balanced and more comfortable coil of the two, and its size would also likely afford me the better in-the-field performance of the two.

I immediately called my dealer friend and changed the order I had already placed with him. I cancelled the round 8½" DD coil and only purchased the 5X9½ DD elliptical coil. I had also already purchased my 2nd Simplex + from him because I do like this model with the round 11" DD coil as my only big-coil ready set-up for hunting the wide-pen grassy areas in a large park, or some low-trash older private yards. it's also good to grab if I search a plowed farm field, or pasture or rangeland area, or should I go work a freshwater beach.

My primary-use Simplex +, that is part of my Daily-Use Team and travels in my vehicle, keeps the 5X9½ DD coil mounted full-time and it is working very well for me. Terrific in modestly-littered areas and very comfortable to use, so that leaves me in a good mood because I am having fun.

Just my thoughts, observations and personal decision. We each get to make our own.

Monte

PS: Still holding out hope the good folks at Nokta / Makro will make a decent smaller-size coil for us. That I'll mount on the other Simplex + because I mainly work very densely-littered sites and smaller-size coils are a must.

Thank you Monte. Exactly what I was looking for!

I can’t tell you the technical differences between the two coils, but I can tell you what the 9.5 x 5 will do for your Simplex. First and foremost is the stability. The machine is a lot less chatty with the smaller coil. In most cases you can run almost wide open and it is very quiet. I’ve been hunting local parks with it hunting for clad. My clad counts have increased a good bit per outing. You can move quickly and coins ring out pretty clearly so it does very well. The smaller coil is not much lighter but balances really well and allows you to get a bit closer to fencing, walks and such without interference. Also the smaller coil obviously is a lot easier to maneuver in tight spaces. :D

Diabolik: said:
First and foremost is the stability. The machine is a lot less chatty with the smaller coil. In most cases you can run almost wide open and it is very quiet.
I agree, my Simplex + w/5X9½ DD handles well as is very quiet. That said, I seldom have an issue with my 1st Simplex + that wears the standard 11" DD coil.

Both are very quiet performers, and I have all of my Disc. modes save at full Sensitivity, and I am only rejecting the first Discriminate segment in the Beach mode so I am hearing a lot more targets in any mode. I only reduce the Sensitivity if there is EMI present, and that is seldom, and most often only with the 11" DD coil.

I really enjoy my daily routine hunts with the Simplex + and 5X9½ DD as in most places I am dealing with a lot of trash. It's one of my quietest-running detectors.

Monte

The round 8.5" DD Simplex coil works as quiet as the 5x9.5 coil and a bit harder to pinpoint with.

The 8.5" coil is deeper up to 2" on some coins.

The 5x9.5 coil is somewhat better in trash.

The coils are a bit heavy for their size compared to other brands. They need some extra weight to keep them from floating up like a beach ball when water hunting.

The round 8.5" DD Simplex coil works as quiet as the 5x9.5 coil and a bit harder to pinpoint with.

The 8.5" coil is deeper up to 2" on some coins.

The 5x9.5 coil is somewhat better in trash.

The coils are a bit heavy for their size compared to other brands. They need some extra weight to keep them from floating up like a beach ball when water hunting.

Sven has described them accurately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom