Eq battery replacement

Battery related question here. Should you ever allow the Nox battery to run really low before recharging or is there no benefit to doing that? I know Li-Lion batteries should not suffer from battery memory but just curious.

Steve

Right, no memory. And the Nox should shut down before the battery gets so low that the battery might get damaged, just like a cellphone. In fact, I'd say treat it like a cellphone. No benefit to "full" discharge, no harm either.

They say these type batteries can be recharged 300-500 times, but that's only to "significant loss" of capacity, 50% maybe? It's not like it just up and dies. Lots of little charges are slightly beneficial over fewer full charges. Keeping charge level between 20% and 90% is slightly beneficial. Tesla cars use similar batteries, and their owners have figured all this out because they don't want to fork out thousands for a new battery. For a Nox, it's not gonna hurt that much. Charge it however works best for you.

Keeping it on the charger vs taking it off when full...depends a lot on the charging circuit. It's probably fine to leave it on there, but since these batteries self-drain so slowly, I take it off. No big deal if I leave it on there a week instead of a day, it'll be fine. I wonder what the manual says...

From the manual:
Battery Maintenance -- Lithium-ion battery performance may degrade if unused for long periods of time. Fully charge the battery at least once every 3–4 months to prevent this from occurring.

It doesn't specifically say but this implies to me DON'T leave it on the charger forever.

Did I miss where ML lists their battery and price? As far as peeling back the shell, I'll wait till somebody posts a video including that experience. Seems like there'd be a vid by now. Thanks.

I bought an equinox battery from ebay, link was given to me by another forum member. Comes from the UK. Installation was easy and it works great. I think it was around $40. Not sure if minelab is selling batteries or not.

https://parts.minelab.com/category-s/270.htm

Yep, but thats just the procedure for swapping in a new ML battery. What is being discussed is purchasing a non ML battery and wiring it ourselves.

There is a part number for that battery complete with the leads so they act like they are available for purchase.
To find one you have to go to their dealer search page which I did and the few I looked at had an external battery pack, (about $42), but none showing this single battery replacement.
Couldn't be more than that external pack...probably less.
A few still could have it or could get it, maybe.
When the day comes when original owners batteries start failing at a good clip many will probably stock this part, I bet.

Back
Top Bottom