• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Apex review video

Nice video. I have found the same results. The Apex really is an Ace detector. It doesn't do anything great. It is just an ok all around entry level detector. The depth is not very good. In my soil here in Nebraska it reaches 4-6 inches at best. Signals get so iffy past 6 inches you really have to do a lot of investigating and then it is really a 50/50 shot still on trash vs treasure. The separation is not great either as you said. It really struggles in iron and for a coil that size it should do better IMO. If you put a smaller coil on it depth is going to suffer. Put a bigger coil on it to improve depth and the separation is going to suffer. So in my opinion you are better off just sticking with an AT Pro if you want a Garrett machine. Or simplex or vanquish if you want another brand in that price point that will perform better. I have been using my Apex and comparing to my Equinox 800 which really isn't a fair comparison but it really highlights the Apex's short comings. The Equinox separates so much better even with a larger coil and has double the depth capabilities.

Hopefully Garrett will continue to improve their SMF depth and separation and put it in an AT series machine at a higher price point that can compete with Equinox, Anfibio, and other mid to high end machines.

I watched both videos, and I was left 'un'-impressed.

The fellow needs to calm down and not talk so briskly. He also ought to sweep a search coil in a more 'normal' sweep-speed fashion and not so briskly. Also, he needs to know his detector and settings before he makes a video. He says it has Iron Audio adjustment and then he adjusts is the Iron Volume level. That's different.

Also, he kept using the ZERO mode and said he turned 'On 'Iron Audio, but that was also wrong. The Garrett Apex, like some other Garrett models, has an Iron Audio feature or function, but it does not work when in the ZERO mode. It works when there is some rejection or Discrimination used, such as if in the Jewelry or Relic mode where the Iron range is mostly rejected.

If in the ZERO mode without any rejection in play, then you already HEAR the Iron Audio tone range and can adjust the Volume level of that. The Iron Audio push-button simply selects a momentary Iron Audio response to potential problem iron when it is being rejected.

Using that button-activated feature in the ZERO mode doesn't assign it an Iron Audio response, but instead produces an errant higher-tone response out of the ferrous-range. Therefore people hear a better-sounding audio tone and think the detector has some magic, deep-seeking ability when using the ZERO mode. Wrong.

So to be a better video, it should show likely performance as if the detector encountered a target using a normal sweep speed, and do it with the proper settings, not an improper selection.

I've watched over a half-dozen videos since the Apex release where the video maker didn't know the proper function of the settings used, and that gives incorrect information. And for the record, I own and use over a dozen detectors and the Apex is handling a lot of typical iron trash encounters quite well, and it also has good separation abilities compared with other detectors using a similar size and type search coil.

Monte

I agree with Monte most these guys doing youtube videos really seem like they don't know what they are doing and the problem is the real beginners believe them

I agree with Monte most these guys doing youtube videos really seem like they don't know what they are doing and the problem is the real beginners believe them
A fellow was here today and I had to demonstrate for him to explain why he was getting good signals on nails and other iron junk that 'sounded' good. He had watched a different video about a week ago that had the same error. He did that they said in the video for settings, but never read the manual to understand the controls.

It took a good minute or two do have him turn the detector on and sweep over a couple of targets with the metal covered up. Then to let him know how to have the Apex work correctly, all he had to do was turn Iron Audio 'Off' because he was using the Zero mode. Wow! It worked correctly and he could hear the iron and the coin separately, and all it took was pressing one button that he should not have activated in the first place.

One future model 'upgrade' or 'change' would be to make the Apex and other models NOT have the Iron Audio function selectable when in the ZERO mode. That would cure all the problems we've seen in too many videos.

Monte

PS: I encouraged the fellow take some time, print out the Apex Owner Manual, and read it, all of it, cover-to-cover. Take notes, then call if he has questions.

Wow, i was gonna get one but i seen my buddys x terra 705 do much much better than the apex .X terra prices are down to $499.00 so i purchased one,thanks for the reviews my friends.

Wow, i was gonna get one but i seen my buddys x terra 705 do much much better than the apex .X terra prices are down to $499.00 so i purchased one,thanks for the reviews my friends.
I had the X-Terra 30, 50 and 70, and have used my Minelab Dealer friend's 705. It is not nearly s good all-around as the Garrett Apex ... or many other detectors as a matter of fact.

From Minelab the Vanquish 540 is a better detector than the X-Terra 705. The Apex worked so well my friend is going to pick up the Garrett detector line.

x terra 705

I had a x terra 70 back in 2007 and i liked it a lot and found many coins with it.I gave it to my daughter and purchased a cz3d model 1021 as i still have and use it. I was hearing so much neg about the vanquish and the apex i went back to what i used years ago.I couldnt get the x terra 70 new any longer so i purchased the 705. Im happy with it as it finds silver coins easy at ten inches in my mild soil. I will wait about 6 months until i can get more reviews on the apex then i may try one. For now my cz3d and the 705 will work just fine.i may sell my 3d with my 12 inch coil and go for the nox 600.(maybe)

The 705 is a great detector with a LOT of options and is just purely pleasurable to use. My favorite coils are 9" 3khz concentric, the 10.5 DD and the 9.5 x 5.5 18.75khz DD.
Run it in what they call all metal and it is much faster. It will read deep targets with good vid and has many other qualities others don't know.

Loved the 705 as well, decent detector for hammered silver.

The 705 is a great detector with a LOT of options and is just purely pleasurable to use. My favorite coils are 9" 3khz concentric, the 10.5 DD and the 9.5 x 5.5 18.75khz DD.
Run it in what they call all metal and it is much faster. It will read deep targets with good vid and has many other qualities others don't know.

Back
Top Bottom