Amazing early Montana Detecting! Morgan Silver Dollar, 34 Silvers!

I haven't done much dirt fishing since the 70's and I am blown away at the amount of silver you and others are still finding today- well done!!! :wow:

Thank you Compass! There is still a lot of Silvers on private property, and that is where I seek permissions.

You showed all your stuff the last 50 years, what did you find the last few days !!!!

kidding...

Hah! Thank you Tinhorn! A good detecting time for sure!

Congrats to you and your friend Jason on some incredible hunting.

That Morgan dollar is such a beautiful coin.

Pretty amazing couple of days and some super recoveries. Curious about the curb strips . Did they appear to have been narrowed over the years? So many in my town used to big and wide with old trees. Over the decades, the city has narrowed them or removed them completely to make the streets wider. I have done most of the pre WWII area strips that still appear original and a good number of the same areas yards and although I do find some silver, they are never that productive. Looks like I will need to travel a bit! The ground here is borderline diggable . The first couple inches are frozen so replacing the plug to look good after you pry it up is a bit of a challenge. Amazingly, we are headed back to the upper 40s and low 50s this week --no snow in sight.

The man's got a monopoly going on up there in Montana! You keep posting pictures like this and your going to start a 21st Century Silver Rush on your home State :shock:

Congrats to you and your friend Jason on some incredible hunting.

That Morgan dollar is such a beautiful coin.

Thank you Estima8tor! Yep, that Big Shiny is a pretty coin!

Pretty amazing couple of days and some super recoveries. Curious about the curb strips . Did they appear to have been narrowed over the years? So many in my town used to big and wide with old trees. Over the decades, the city has narrowed them or removed them completely to make the streets wider. I have done most of the pre WWII area strips that still appear original and a good number of the same areas yards and although I do find some silver, they are never that productive. Looks like I will need to travel a bit! The ground here is borderline diggable . The first couple inches are frozen so replacing the plug to look good after you pry it up is a bit of a challenge. Amazingly, we are headed back to the upper 40s and low 50s this week --no snow in sight.

Hi Todd, thank you! The town we were in, the curb strips looked original, cut concrete edges (older) the trees were centered in the strips, and the grass level, except where new lawn was put in, were pretty much level with the older looking sidewalk. This was in a 1930-40's neighborhood. The curb strips definitely had been detected before, not a lot of old coins but some silver and wheat cents had been missed, and a lot of clad dropped in the last 10-15 years or so, that is my estimate on the last time these strips were hunted. And yeah, that frozen ground upper 3" does make it tricky to get that plug back into place!

What a start to the year! Great story and pics! Thanks for sharing, and CONGRATS!

Thank you Ben! Wishing you another great year too!

The man's got a monopoly going on up there in Montana! You keep posting pictures like this and your going to start a 21st Century Silver Rush on your home State :shock:

Thank you Silverhorse! I guess there is a reason the Montana State Motto is "Oro y Plata" - silver and gold!

What a great collection of finds! Could the HFCC piece be from a community college?

What a great collection of finds! Could the HFCC piece be from a community college?

Thank you Iggyks! I'm not sure, community colleges are a fairly recent thing, last 50 years or so. I was thinking perhaps "country club" or some sort of private organization, but just don't know yet.

When I saw the title mention a silver dollar I thought someone had renewed your old post. Silly me. What is it with you guys and all those silver dollars. My goodness. Big attaboy to your buddy. Well LTS, I'm glad to see your still able to hunt and living up to your name big time. Just some outstanding hunting and congrats on the boatload of silver and all the other goodies.Those tokens are sweet and the sterling pendant is awesome. Good luck, Mark

When I saw the title mention a silver dollar I thought someone had renewed your old post. Silly me. What is it with you guys and all those silver dollars. My goodness. Big attaboy to your buddy. Well LTS, I'm glad to see your still able to hunt and living up to your name big time. Just some outstanding hunting and congrats on the boatload of silver and all the other goodies.Those tokens are sweet and the sterling pendant is awesome. Good luck, Mark

Thank you Mark! For sure, the Big Silvers seem to be found here in Montana. I was very happy with the results of the hunt, and am going out tomorrow back to the same town to take advantage of some warm weather, even if things go half as well that will be wonderful!

If I had to guess, because of the makers marks and shield style, I would say English. No matter what, that is probably one of the most gorgeous pieces of jewelry I've seen on here. I'm hoping come late summer early fall on doing some traveling. I want to get to most of the western states and see all the sights before its too late, lol. All of course depends on the virus situation. I'd love to get to Montana and do some mding with you boys. I'm an old bat but I'm a lot of fun to be around, well at least I think I am...lol

Actually on further inspection (lol) and some sleep, I do believe that is a watch fob. Did some poking around and saw some close to what you have. Once again what a fabulous find.....

Oh my goodness ! That's fantastically amazing ! That's a year or more worth o silver for me, and you guys tallied that in a couple, with a bucketlist Morgan to boot ! Keep up the good work !:cool: and thanks for sharing !

Back
Top Bottom