Got an interesting detector on the way...

Crumble

Elite Member
Forum Supporter
I'm fascinated by mine detectors lately, thinking they may be the key to finding tiny gold (chains) in the wet sand.

My Minelab F3 works great, slightly more sensitive than the Infinium, but still not sensitive enough for those thin chains... the F3 is a PI.

The new one that is on the way is the CEIA CMD:

http://www.ceia.net/groundsearch/detail.aspx?a=3

This is a Multi-Frequency VLF, with very high sensitivity to small items. The discrimination is strange though, instead of giving a different tone according to the metal composition, apparently the tone depends on the mass of the object... interesting...

I can't seem to find much more info than that, I guess we shall see... stay tuned.

Attachments

• CMD3.jpg
    CMD3.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 8,998
  • CMD_kezben.jpg
    CMD_kezben.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 6,730
Last edited:
Very cool. I like the way it folds up. It would be nice if the battery life was longer (6-8 hours?) Hope you got a good deal on it. I saw it retails for about $5000? It looks like it's heavy duty military quality. Very nice!

Got it for about 1/10 the retail price. Its designed in italy. Waterproof to 3 meters...

If you are looking for a PI, mine detectors are a pretty killer deal, especially the f3 which I got for $500 as well... and it beats the Infinium.

Last edited:
Very cool, it looks like somthing your avitar would carry!

I wish you the best on your quest!

<*)))>{

Got it for about 1/10 the retail price. Its designed in italy. Waterproof to 3 meters...

If you are looking for a PI, mine detectors are a pretty killer deal, especially the f3 which I got for $500 as well... and it beats the Infinium.

Do you have to get the pin out to wire a pair of headphones to it? Or do they come with it and have a waterproof connection?

Do you have to get the pin out to wire a pair of headphones to it? Or do they come with it and have a waterproof connection?

Headphones come with it, it's a one ear earpiece kind of thing.

Attachments

• cmd earpiece.jpg
    cmd earpiece.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 6,088
That baby is built like a tank.....DAMN SON!! :lol: g/l ;)

http://www.ceia.net/groundsearch/pdf/CEIACMDbrochureUS.pdf

:D

I've been trying to find the owners manual, but it's impossible... it's available on the CEIA website but have to register and wait for permission... screw that.

For anyone interested, the link below is a PDF of a very in depth comparison between like 10 different mine detectors including the F3, and the MIL-D1 (older non-compact model of CMD). One shocking thing about the tests, is that the PIs seem to gain depth in soil vs. in air, like a lot of us have been claiming.

http://www.lu.lv/materiali/bibliote...and evaluation of metal detectors (STEMD).pdf

The Vallon VMH3 mine detector seems to have the best performance, but I've never seen one for sale at a reasonable price...

Last edited:
I love it when hunters don't listen to internet hype and try new equipment. That is what this hobby is all about, doing something that "everyone" else on the beach is not doing. I truly hope your quest is successful. How many others have tried new model mine sweeps? After all that IS how currently mental detecting started..WWII mine detectors. Then hobbyist started waterproofing them and that is where we are today.

Nice to see someone trying to get back to our roots with new technology....Good for you!!

Looks like the Bigfoot coil.....Good Luck CM..........

It has to be military grade. I do not think you can buy one yet, for civilians use. It's small and compact and has very sensitive ranges, OD color too. Nice unit. The price $$$$$. (:-O)

It has to be military grade. I do not think you can buy one yet, for civilians use. It's small and compact and has very sensitive ranges, OD color too. Nice unit. The price $$$$$. (:-O)

Yeah it's awesome being able to buy a $5,000 machine for $500 since nobody really knows anything about them, that is until I need accessories or repairs... $$$. My Minelab F3 for example, they offer a 17" mono coil for it... for the small sum of $1,000... for a coil. Extra earpiece for the F3... $250... ouch. Needless to say, that machine isn't getting any upgrades... but man I would love to see how it performs with a 17" mono...

I love it when hunters don't listen to internet hype and try new equipment. That is what this hobby is all about, doing something that "everyone" else on the beach is not doing. I truly hope your quest is successful. How many others have tried new model mine sweeps? After all that IS how currently mental detecting started..WWII mine detectors. Then hobbyist started waterproofing them and that is where we are today.

Nice to see someone trying to get back to our roots with new technology....Good for you!!

Yeah, I'm always in the search for that hidden gem. Pretty soon I'll probably start making PIs, so I can tweak the machine to be as sensitive as possible for my conditions.

More pics:

Attachments

• cmd1.jpg
    cmd1.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 6,099
  • cmd2.jpg
    cmd2.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 6,141
  • cmd3.jpg
    cmd3.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 6,436
  • cmd4.jpg
    cmd4.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 5,966
  • cmd5.jpg
    cmd5.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 6,058
Last edited:
that is insane! man, that thing looks like it will have some power with the tough construction,,,best of luck with it and let us all know how it works out,,,,very interesting

Back
Top Bottom