• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

How Did Some Things Get Lost?

Martin_V3i

Elite Member
I found a Kennedy half dollar in the wood chips of a small tot lot yesterday. It wasn't a fresh drop but it was shallow, and it was tarnished. I just makes me wonder, how someone could lose a Kennedy half in the wood chips in a tot lot. When I saw the TID number, I naturally thought something above a quarter but it really surprised me to actually find a half. Someone must have a story about losing it. It wasn’t shiny and only an inch or two deep. Maybe a child’s tooth fairy money? I haven’t carried a half dollar in many years.

Too bad we can't know the path things take to get where we find them.

In the same woodchips under a tree in a park, I found a very large homemade solid aluminum dice, a large and very old chrome plated locket, and some old looking military medal? that I can't identify. They weren't even close to each other. To this day, I'm still thinking WTH?

Yes, wondering about how some of the finds got to where they did, is part of the fun :)

I have found a lot of odd things in tot lots. What I figure is that some kid took it from his Dad's collection and brought it to school to show off and lost it.

I found this mint 1957 wheat in a tot lot I'm sure got there that way.

Attachments

• 1957.jpg
    1957.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 298
I also have found a Kennedy half in a totlot at a ballfield and also wondered how you lose something that big? I guess kids hang upside down and don't hear it drop outta their pocket. Odd another one didn't see it before me. It also had "woodchip tarnish" so it wasn't really fresh dropped. :?:

Some things like live shotgun or rifle shells, i figure were dropped in the snow. But I doubt the playgrounds get much action in the snow.

I also have found a Kennedy half in a totlot at a ballfield and also wondered how you lose something that big? I guess kids hang upside down and don't hear it drop outta their pocket. Odd another one didn't see it before me. It also had "woodchip tarnish" so it wasn't really fresh dropped. :?:

Do kids carry half dollars, or even coins these days? I can't remember the last time I ever carried a half dollar, unless I'd found one and brought it home. It just seems odd.

I knew someone who left tips in half dollars. They coin roll hunted halves for silver. My Grandfather lived in Texas and always carried a dollar coin. He said if you got a dollar you aren't ever broke. I still have the Ike dollar he was carrying . As far as tot lots and beaches i have found several fresh dropped wheat cents. Gets confusing since we use wheat cents to locate silver coins. On a beach if you found a wheat a little old you'd think it came out of the dunes from a storm. You usually never think they could be fresh dropped wheats. A friend of mine still carries a Walker i gave him about 10 years ago.

I have also found a half in a tot lot, in about the same conditions that you describe. Every now and then, modern dollar coins come up (presidential/Sacagawea, not really found in circulation much). Foreign coins also happen to me at tot lots quite a bit.

Like someone said, I think 99% of the time it's kids bringing in "unusual" coins to show and tell, but then they lose interest and hang upside down on the monkey bars, so we clean them up!

I found a Kennedy half dollar in the wood chips of a small tot lot yesterday. It wasn't a fresh drop but it was shallow, and it was tarnished. I just makes me wonder, how someone could lose a Kennedy half in the wood chips in a tot lot. When I saw the TID number, I naturally thought something above a quarter but it really surprised me to actually find a half. Someone must have a story about losing it. It wasn’t shiny and only an inch or two deep. Maybe a child’s tooth fairy money? I haven’t carried a half dollar in many years.

Too bad we can't know the path things take to get where we find them.

There's no way to know how coins or other objects get lost. A week ago I found a brand new looking 1976 Kennedy Bicentennial half dollar right on the surface and earlier in the year I found THREE Susan B. Anthony dollar coins all on top of the ground at a soccer field. And.....I've found a couple of Ike Dollars recently and those coins are a headscratcher as to how they got lost.

Attachments

• IMG_1088.JPG
    IMG_1088.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1529.JPG
    IMG_1529.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1438.JPG
    IMG_1438.JPG
    169.1 KB · Views: 91
There's no way to know how coins or other objects get lost. A week ago I found a brand new looking 1976 Kennedy Bicentennial half dollar right on the surface and earlier in the year I found THREE Susan B. Anthony dollar coins all on top of the ground at a soccer field. And.....I've found a couple of Ike Dollars recently and those coins are a headscratcher as to how they got lost.

That is amazing! If coins could just talk.

Back
Top Bottom