About ready to sell my detector and start bird watching

petejc

I don't get to the beaches very much cause I live in Harrisburg, Pa. It's 3 hrs. to Rehoboth area..Anyway was down over the weekend and tried my best at Rehoboth and Lewis beaches....I found 2 clad quarters.... I know my Nox 600 is working cause I buried a dime and a quarter about 8 inches each and Nox picked them up...I just can't do well at the beach....End of rant.

I take up bikini watching when the detecting ain't so good at the beach.

That's why I try to bring some snacks and a good book...when things aren't going so great (and it happens to all of us), I just like to kick back and relax...

Never really a bad day at the beach. Couple hunts ago i found a nickel and two zincs. Ocean sounded awesome though and smelled great! That being said, i know what's down below them when the sand moves. You sometimes zigged when you should have zagged as they say. Other times everything goes right. I did see a weird object barely covered in sand. Kicked it out and turned out it was a ticked off ghost crab that went running down at some people. The :lol: was the best part of that hunt!

Been hitting the lake near me as the water recedes, have found gold and silver in the past, last year and this, nada, but I’m going to keep on it because it’s what we do :lol:

That said, nothing wrong with bird watching, Kingbird Highway, a good read, I still like to do that.

I've got some high-end water machines and i moved 300 miles from the beach. How do you think I feel?

You need not get to discouraged we all have good and bad day at the beach. This year I have seen several 2-4 hour hunt with only a couple if not just one coin to show for my endeavor. Then comes a glory day with 5 rings. It is the hunt, search, thrill, view etc. that make the hours detecting worth every minute. It sure beats sitting on a couch, watching the ridiculous show and bad news. Today's detecting is nothing like it was 40+ years ago, neither are the detectors. Enjoy every moment, I do!

I have about a 60 mile round trip the the nearest beach, but there are quite a few in that range and I manage to do pretty well, like anything else, you get what you put into it and you have to manage your expectations, there are days you will be skunked, perhaps more often than not.
If you are not going to make an effort ground detecting, which you can do about anywhere, then yeah this is not the hobby for you.

There is a lot more to beach hunting than meets the eye and I am still learning after years of detecting. Being 3 hours away from the beach certainly makes it more challenging too. :yes:

Beach detecting from three hours away would be challenging.

Knowing the beach and how it changes is half the battle and you have to keep up with it. Reading tide/surf reports will give you clues, but you have to know what to look for and how those tides might impact the beaches you detect.

With that, Covid and La Niña (on the left coast) has taken its toll. Without two years of decent beach erosion and beach-goer deposits, things have been scarce. Still, a few of us have been able to hit it at the right time. Sometimes it’s just one day and then the beach sands back in.

i take up bikini watching when the detecting ain't so good at the beach.

best advice i've read on the forum

5BD35A26-D8BF-4B4A-B82F-2D2F499960AF.jpg

No cats were harmed during the photoshop of this image.

2008 to 2012 A friend and me did the drives to OC MD..2 hours 20 minutes, several times a year. I averaged about 25 gold a year. I found the best hunting to be, July 15 to Sept 15th or only if there was a event. Like a coastal storm, or something that was not normal. All of the other trips down, I was lucky to find much at all.

So off season hunting those areas one really does need to live near the beach, be retired, and able to go on a whim....... to put yourself in the right spot for gold.

And it could be........Earl (SurfMaster) keeps those places cleaned out. :yes:

I'm in the same situation...i have about an hour and a half advantage but it's still not close enough to warrant the drive unless there's some other reason to go. But the detector comes along on every beach vacation, just in case. I've never found anything gold (in 15 or 16 vacations). Did find a thin silver ring once. But we rarely go to the same area twice so...yeah, it's hard to learn how to read a beach if you never see the same one again. I did get an equinox two years ago, so I can get in the water now. Hopefully that will be a game changer. Now I just need to convince the Mrs. to fly to the gulf coast of Florida the day after hurricane goes through.

Obn

Let me swing one of your AQs this winter , you know Il.take good care. Of it , doesn't look like a new PI is coming out the last quarter, and Fisher let's me down again :mad:

Steve,
Would like that very much...however I am really very sick right now...aches and pains big time...I may have covid

Hope you recover quickly!

I am lucky to live just 20 miles from several Lake Michigan beaches. Some hunts are great and many are a bust. But hope springs eternal and many things are dropped in the sand on busy summer days.

Steve,
Would like that very much...however I am really very sick right now...aches and pains big time...I may have covid

Pete,
It's going around and I don't think Covid. I have been sick for the past 5 days also and I think it's just a bad cold.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom