School me on jewelry and gem testers

Diga

Elite Member
I've got a decent amount of jewelry that isn't marked. Despite coming from damp ground, these jewelry items aren't corroded and could be either gold, silver, platinum, or plated.

What are you using to test these items for metal content and gem identification?

If an unmarked item tests as, let's say, 14kt gold, how do you know that it's not 14kt plated?

Gold purity testers are chemical based and you have to scratch into the jewelry to test, so that would detect any plating as the base metal would be scrap.

Don't think there are any general "gem testers" but cheap diamond testers are simple and fairly accurate https://www.amazon.com/Accuracy-Diamond-Tester-Professional-Jeweler/dp/B06Y2MT175/ How you would id a legit ruby/sapphire ect I don't know, probably have to go to a professional jeweler.

Unmarked jewelry being legit is pretty rare, but possible. Odds are stacked against you, if they fail the gold test then it is safe to assume the gems are bogus as well.

Thank you Xxray. That's good info.

The diamond tester will definitely come in handy :)

I ordered the diamond tester that Xxray posted.

Does anyone have any comments regarding the various gold/silver/platinum testers that can be found on Amazon?

Gold purity testers are chemical based and you have to scratch into the jewelry to test, so that would detect any plating as the base metal would be scrap.

Don't think there are any general "gem testers" but cheap diamond testers are simple and fairly accurate https://www.amazon.com/Accuracy-Diamond-Tester-Professional-Jeweler/dp/B06Y2MT175/ How you would id a legit ruby/sapphire ect I don't know, probably have to go to a professional jeweler.

Unmarked jewelry being legit is pretty rare, but possible. Odds are stacked against you, if they fail the gold test then it is safe to assume the gems are bogus as well.

I don't know if it is accurate or not, but I have noticed the tester Norma Svet uses goes up one bar on colored stones, all the way on diamonds.

I've got a decent amount of jewelry that isn't marked. Despite coming from damp ground, these jewelry items aren't corroded and could be either gold, silver, platinum, or plated.

What are you using to test these items for metal content and gem identification?

If an unmarked item tests as, let's say, 14kt gold, how do you know that it's not 14kt plated?

Just get an acid test kit and Diamond tester, don't bother with a gem tester because man made gems like a ruby or sapphire will test good just like a natural stone...

I have this one below it was $198.00 today they are over $400 dollars not worth it...

Attachments

• P1010479.jpg
    P1010479.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 141
Just get an acid test kit and Diamond tester, don't bother with a gem tester because man made gems like a ruby or sapphire will test good just like a natural stone...

Ok. The diamond tester will suffice.

I looked into the acid test kits. I'm not so sure about their reliability though. Oh well. Like Xxray said, if it's not marked, it's probably not legit. I'll order the kit that tests for gold, silver, and platinum.

How would a jeweler test a ring? Using the same acid test kit that everyone else uses? lol

I looked into the acid test kits. I'm not so sure about their reliability though. Oh well. Like Xxray said, if it's not marked, it's probably not legit. I'll order the kit that tests for gold, silver, and platinum.

How would a jeweler test a ring? Using the same acid test kit that everyone else uses? lol

I have found old gold unmarked that turned out to be gold....

I have seen those electronic gold testers in action they are not as accurate as acid is...

https://www.amazon.com/Jewelry-Appr...D6L3BWF/ref=pd_lpo_2?pd_rd_i=B09D6L3BWF&psc=1

If you haven't ordered a diamond tester yet get one that will tell you its a diamond or Moissanite a regular diamond tester will test positive if its Moissanite

I have sold a lot of gold that was not marked but past the acid tests. ARA paid me for them so I'm guessing it was good.

Example found just a while back. Found no stamps but tests as 18k gold.

Attachments

• 4-3-2022-gold.jpg
    4-3-2022-gold.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 135
  • 4-3-2022-gold-2.jpg
    4-3-2022-gold-2.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 136
I have found old gold unmarked that turned out to be gold....

I have seen those electronic gold testers in action they are not as accurate as acid is...

If you haven't ordered a diamond tester yet get one that will tell you its a diamond or Moissanite a regular diamond tester will test positive if its Moissanite

That electronic one that Detector posted looks sweet :) Either way, based on what you and Detector have said, then I'll definitely be testing my unmarked stuff. I'll watch that video a little later.

Apparently, the one that Xxray posted, and the one I ordered (and just cancelled lol), will give a positive on Moissanite. Any recommendation for another?

I have sold a lot of gold that was not marked but past the acid tests. ARA paid me for them so I'm guessing it was good.

Example found just a while back. Found no stamps but tests as 18k gold.

Ok, thank you :) Are you acid testing, or using the electronic tester? Both?

That electronic one that Detector posted looks sweet :) Either way, based on what you and Detector have said, then I'll definitely be testing my unmarked stuff. I'll watch that video a little later.

Apparently, the one that Xxray posted, and the one I ordered (and just cancelled lol), will give a positive on Moissanite. Any recommendation for another?

Watch this it shows you which ones are good....https://diamondtester.org/moissanite/

I had a friend who used the electronic testers never got 10k or 14k readings always hit on 12k or something higher than 14 like 16k I said screw that I go with my acid tests... buy what you are comfortable trying...

I use both. As Cfmct stated the electronic are good to verafy marked gold, but I trust the acid test more.

Attachments

• Gold-Test-1.jpg
    Gold-Test-1.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 118
I checked out the Moissanite article. I think there needs to be a warning on that link that says, "Do not click on this link if you suffer from heart problems......":D I most definitely wasn't expecting those kind of prices!

I'll get the full acid test kit and the regular diamond tester to start out.

Thanks again everyone. Your info was very helpful :)

I like using both because sometimes the acid test is hard for me to read. Sometimes it is not really obvious if the acid is affecting the gold or not. I figure if it passes both there is a really good chance it is solid.

I've also noticed on both the acid and electronic test a plated piece will turn colors where you touch it to the acid. A solid piece seems to not be affected by dipping in acid at all.

I currently have about 7 pieces that are not marked but test as solid gold.

What is the reason why some pieces aren't marked?

Also, I was thinking of testing my marked pieces as well, because I'm suspecting that fake marked pieces exist as well. Correct?

Also, I was thinking of testing my marked pieces as well, because I'm suspecting that fake marked pieces exist as well. Correct?

Before 1900 it was not required to put a stamp on precious metals. Some of the pieces I have are just that. Pieces. I've got a, what I believe to be, 18k Rolex watch link. No mark, but tests as 18k.

Lots of fakes out there as well. I've gotten several. The funniest one is a 14k marked ring, that is obviously plated, but the maker's mark is unique LOL.

Attachments

• 12407.jpg
    12407.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
I checked out the Moissanite article. I think there needs to be a warning on that link that says, "Do not click on this link if you suffer from heart problems......":D I most definitely wasn't expecting those kind of prices!

I'll get the full acid test kit and the regular diamond tester to start out.

Thanks again everyone. Your info was very helpful :)

:lol:

My gem tester needs a new pen they want what I paid for the entire unit... not worth it to me

I have found custom made rings that were not marked... here are a couple sings that are not marked... first one is 22k custom...

Second is a unmarked 2 plus carat 6 ray star ruby ring... I have more unmarked rings... I hunt areas looking for old gold, I am not a fresh drop hunter when I find one its a mistake lol...

Attachments

• user32_pic73225_1479207503.jpg
    user32_pic73225_1479207503.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 114
  • user32_pic81033_1573221573.jpg
    user32_pic81033_1573221573.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 106
I don't know if it is accurate or not, but I have noticed the tester Norma Svet uses goes up one bar on colored stones, all the way on diamonds.

Don't think its accurate, you can get a bar to go up touching anything. Diamonds have very specific heat transfer properties, and these testers are geared towards that.
[I used to watch Nora but got mad at her and unsubscribed when she went spear fishing for exotic fish, haven't seen any of her vids in months]

Yep, same acid kits.
They have to scratch into the metal to find out if its plated or not, and to establish purity. [Can usually tell plating just by eyeballing] but if you want to be certain, have to test it.
I never tried it, looks simple enough. I have a jeweler friend who does the testing for me.
The exceptions I have found in my experience of legit gold not being marked is black hills gold ,, Though no doubt amateur crafted jewelry can also be unmarked and legit. Hallmarking jewelry has been in use for centuries, so its always heavy odds when you find something that looks good but is not hallmarked.

Back
Top Bottom