Howdy from Texas

Tricky D

I've been viewing the posts on the friendly forums for several years and finally decided to sign up.

I've been an electronic hobbyist since my teenage years. I actually built my first detector in the early 70's from scratch using a schematic diagram from a book in my local library. I used an antenna coil from an old 5 tube AM radio mounted on a broomstick as my search coil. The circuit was a Beat Frequency Oscillator that produced a steady tone. When a metal object got near the coil, the tone changed pitch. It worked 'kind of' I found mostly cans with it.

In the 80's I bought a Radio Shack detector for $5 at a garage sale and got good enough with it to find loose change.

Several years ago, I picked up a used Ace 400 and was surprised how much I was able to find with it. My wife was on the sideline about the hobby until I found my first diamond ring. It was just her size! That Christmas Santa brought me a Nox 800 and it is amazing. I'm retired and go out a couple times a week when the weather is nice. I spend most of my time in city parks and playgrounds. I did get my first permission this past year and joined a local metal detecting club. Looking forward to enjoying the hobby more.

Welcome from CT. Great story about your first detector build. Best of luck with that Nox. Happy Hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome - I'm also in Texas (north of Fort Worth). Like you, I started out as a kid with a small RS detector back in the early 80's or maybe late 70's, I don't remember. That's all history and I've been detecting pretty much ever since. Not sure where you are but let me know if you ever need a hunting partner...

Back
Top Bottom