Kay was Okay

Compass

Forum Supporter
Actually, Hurricane Kay was wonderful to me! Prior to Kay I was having a very slow year for gold finds but she changed all that in 1 week.
I know that Kay was disappointing for some but as KOB pointed out, a few beaches had massive amounts of sand movement making for some ideal hunting conditions.
I think I hunted about 6 nights in the last 8 days and even though I encountered several other hunters, there were enough targets to go around. I found an amazing number of gold jewelry items but most were below 2 grams and nothing even close to being a "honker". Many targets were hiding in and around the black sand making them more difficult to find, even with my pulse detectors. On one hunt I used my Equinox but the black sand was making the Nox so chatty that I was getting a headache. My Nox's TID's were pretty useless as virtually all targets registered as negative numbers until I got them out of the holes. In the early morning light of one hunt I spied a thin gold bracelet laying on top of the black sand - a 14K Italian beauty in perfect condition. Here is a picture of the best finds from that one 4 hour hunt:
picture.php

and a picture of all the "K" from the week:
picture.php

GL&HH!

Great hunting George... what was your total take? per piece...
Thanks Craig, Average weight of under 2 grams per piece.

Looks like it was fun.
Fun but hard work and a little stressful. Very little sleep this week and worried about other hunters getting there before me and worried about getting back there before the fill sand returned.

WOW George!! :wow::shock:

KAY was very good to you!!
Thanks Ron, Yes, it was the most amazing and surreal week of detecting that I have had in 50+ years.

Wow is right
Yes, I thought I was dreaming but I knew that wasn't possible because I didn't sleep last week! :lol:

Last edited:
Holy smokes. Great report coming from CA. Makes me wonder if I shouldn't have been scouting south-facing beaches in my part of CA. Not sure if "Kay" swells made it this far north or not. Ssshheeesshh I'm getting lazy ! :lol:

Great hurricane hunt! Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Way to get in there and get the gold man, congrats! Thanks for the drool pics!
Thanks GS, I haven't had a week like this in...well never. Pretty much all my choices and plans worked out better than expected. :yes:

K, looks like some good hunting to me.
Thanks Detector, With so many targets I tried a few different things out and tried to be more efficient.

Thanks KOB, Every one of my gold finds was smaller than the gold ring you posted a couple days ago. Hope I'm not doing something wrong!

Holy smokes. Great report coming from CA. Makes me wonder if I shouldn't have been scouting south-facing beaches in my part of CA. Not sure if "Kay" swells made it this far north or not. Ssshheeesshh I'm getting lazy ! :lol:
Thanks Tom, My surf reports didn't really imply much hurricane swell north of Orange County. My report also said if the swell direction was more SW than SE we may have seen TOH (triple overhead) surf! :wow::shock:

Also, I love the pose of the gold on the scale ! Ka-Ching !!
I posted that picture partly for your benefit but also to demonstrate how small most of my gold finds were. We have had single gold chains and even rings that weighed more than all my week's gold put together. :yes:

Congrats on your fantastic success !
Thanks SS, It was hard, even painful, work at times but these conditions don't come around all that often.
Great hurricane hunt! Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Scalz, No hurricane weather to speak of, just the swell along with a great tidal swing.

OUTSTANGING! Way to go on hunting the conditions!
Thanks Beachhunt1, Even after decades of metal detecting I'm still learning and certainly learned a lot this past week! :yes:

Thats one heck of a haul!! And looks like you stayed on it with out a break!! Congrads on the nice pile! :yes:

:dingding::dingding::dingding: I think that may be more pieces than my entire year right there! :wow:

All that so cal gold is looking đź‘Ť good.
Thanks Metal, It was a surreal week with every hunt seemingly better than the previous one. :yes:

Congrats on each and every one of those golden finds!
Thanks LNCB, Each one was special and not taken for granted.

Thats one heck of a haul!! And looks like you stayed on it with out a break!! Congrads on the nice pile! :yes:
Thanks OBN, I tried to be efficient and took my breaks or traveled to other beaches during the high tides. I knew that conditions like this don't come around often so I tried not to be satisfied and kept pushing on.
:dingding::dingding::dingding: I think that may be more pieces than my entire year right there! :wow:
Thanks Felix, Prior to Kay I don't think that I had more than 5 pieces of gold for the year. In my wildest dreams I wouldn't have expected to quadruple that amount in one week.

Back
Top Bottom