electrolysis setup

botics

Where can I find a how to guide on electrolysis setup for metal detecting finds? I’d like to see what members are doing and what their electrolysis setup is like.

Thanks.

Yup! Positive to the sacrificial metal. If you don't want to worry about suspending something in a bucket you can use an iron bar and keep it off to the side. I just like the bucket for smaller items because then I don't have to turn or rotate them. Seems to make things quicker. For the sword, I buy short sticks of rebar at home depot for a couple $$ each and throw them away when they rust out.

b734aefe6d7352ed46ca7ebec4a5e183.jpg

That power supply should work. Here's the exact one I bought

DC Power Supply Adjustable (30V 10A), Eventek Variable Switching Regulated Digital Power Supply with Alligator Leads US Power Cord (30V 10A) https://a.co/d/ilbzQoZ

I cannot thank you enough. I just bought the metal bucket and ordered the same DC power supply.

How many feet are the positive and negative cables? I'm assuming you used banana to alligator clips?

I cannot thank you enough. I just bought the metal bucket and ordered the same DC power supply.

How many feet are the positive and negative cables? I'm assuming you used banana to alligator clips?

The leads are pretty short and the alligator clips don't open wide. Also since they rust, I make my own. I use the leads with the machine to plug into it, then run a length of wire from the alligator to the item and use a larger alligator clip that home depot sells. That way as they rust I just throw them out. It's probably $8 for new clips and they're a little bigger and better.

As a side note, run this out doors. Gases do come from the water. Lucky for me I can keep the machine inside and run the wires out of the slider to my buckets.

The amp/volt settings will increase in relation to each other. I usually turn amps all the way up, then slowly increase the volts. I mostly watch the bubbles to see where it's at, I think generally I wind up around 6 volts if it's a thicker piece of iron. If the item is thin, maybe 2 or 3. The reason I go lower on thin metals is the older iron may have little gaps or internal issues. What I found was when it runs at higher settings those will open up and cause more good iron to fall off. When I first got into it I started keeping more iron junk in the field and just practiced.

What are your safety concerns? I have the metal bucket in a plastic one to prevent leaks on the porch. The buckets are outside, machine is inside. Keep the machine off while you're touching anything. It's really a safe system, low voltage and amps.

Nah. Safe handling practices. Always off when I touch anything, only touch with one hand, unhook a lead before I touch water etc. No worries at all.

Back
Top Bottom