• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

why would anyone add weight to their detector?

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
I cannot understand why anyone would want add these clips to put a pinpointer on your detector.

It will add weight, and screw up the balances.

Can you not put your pinpointer on your belt or in your jeans pocket like I do?

Next thing you know they will be attaching their hand trowels and Lesche or Predator shovel and soon outweigh the CTX3030.:roll:

Attachments

• pinpointerclips.jpg
    pinpointerclips.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 641
I see a guy at night who has flashlights mounted to his. Drives me nuts seeing him swing the coil in the distance. No idea why you need to watch a coil swinging on flat sand for hours? Youtube maybe?

I often wondered that same exact question, I use a z link sometimes and I can feel that little bit of weight difference so I could only imagine a carrot setting on the machine to boot. I absolutely hate x1 probes on anything,when I get a machine used and it has one it's the first thing to hit the classifieds..

The added convenience might be worth the extra weight.

To each their own.

At my age weight is more a factor than it was 20 years ago. I swung many of the old metal boxes built like a tank so even today I am fine swinging the E-Trac.

The location may not be the best but often good balance can make a detector easier to swing and control. Sometimes adding weight adds better balance.

A lightweight detector will feel heavy if the weight isn't balanced right. The equinox is a perfect example of this. I have more arm fatigue using the equinox than my old explorer SE, which is probably double the weight of the equinox. I have no issues hunting with a heavy machine if it's balanced correctly...

I keep my pinpointer on my belt, however I have wondered about using one of those and positioning it at the end of my Equinox to work as a counterweight to help the balance.

The weight of the detector isn't near as much a bother to me as compared to the coil's weight. That being said I always carry my pp in my hand with the digger. Faster access and never lose it.

Reactions: KOB
A lightweight detector will feel heavy if the weight isn't balanced right. The equinox is a perfect example of this. I have more arm fatigue using the equinox than my old explorer SE, which is probably double the weight of the equinox. I have no issues hunting with a heavy machine if it's balanced correctly...

Very well said. Both my old SE Pro and Etrac do fine, but in reality, so does my two Equinox detectors. I really don't dwell on weight much at all. That is just me maybe.

Detector weight

At my age weight is more a factor than it was 20 years ago. I swung many of the old metal boxes built like a tank so even today I am fine swinging the E-Trac.

The location may not be the best but often good balance can make a detector easier to swing and control. Sometimes adding weight adds better balance.

Those Coinmasters and Goldmasters back in the day were indeed the big Berthas and battery gobblers of their day that produced great finds. Still impressive to look at even today when I see one being advertised for sale. What were the earliest detectors that you started using back in the 1970s?

Last edited:
Jim just take your velcro holster and mount it to the side of
arm rest using the holster strap. This will do to try it out.
But the holster moves a lot causing it to wear very quickly
Those factory stitches will fail crazy fast

I keep my pinpointer on my belt, however I have wondered about using one of those and positioning it at the end of my Equinox to work as a counterweight to help the balance.

here is my EQ800 set up. Since this pic was taken I have upgraded the shaft and cuff but my new set up is the same. i think it is a big help balancing out the weight of the 11 " coil.
I have advancing Dunlap's disease so I don't want a lot hanging on my belt.

Attachments

• Nox counter balance turned.jpg
    Nox counter balance turned.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 473
A lightweight detector will feel heavy if the weight isn't balanced right. The equinox is a perfect example of this…

Exactly this….balance can be at least as important as overall weight. I put a carbon fiber shaft on my Equinox, which saved weight…but then I stuck a counterweight and a heavy aftermarket cuff on the back which actually makes it heavier than stock. Despite the extra weight, the machine is easier to hold and swing because of the improved overall balance.

Even if the detector is already well balanced, as long as that pinpointer and sheath Maxxkatt used as his example is mounted at or close to the center of gravity also, the impact on balance would be negligible.

Granted, I understand age and physical condition play a role for folks. Right now, adding a few ounces or even a pound or more to the detector really doesn’t matter to me (assuming the detector stays balanced)…I’m not even sure I would notice. I can swing a machine all day and not think twice about it. But talk to me in 10 or 15 years, and I’ll probably have a different opinion!

Looks good MT, how is it held on?
The nylon holster came with the Garrett Propointer. It is held to the Equinox original arm cuff with zip ties thru the slots in the cuff.
After I upgraded to the Detect-Ed cuff and carbon fiber shaft, I was able to clamp the belt holster under the arm cuff clamp. It was tight , you need to be careful not to cross thread the screws and tighten them evenly , a little at a time, alternating screws as you go. If anyone s interested, I can take a couple of close up pics and post them.

Dual purpose counter weight! I'm going to try that with my pro-find. Usually carry digger and pinpointer in left hand or stick PP in a pocket , this looks slick.

I had a 12 gauge shotgun that was muzzle heavy, I took a brass shotgun shell. filled it with lead and placed it in the screw hole in the stock. It was heavier but balanced better and didn't feel near as heavy.

Back
Top Bottom