• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Legend owners: Major update v1.08 is now in the hands of the testers.

Diga

Elite Member
This is the update for the features that the users requested.

Highlights:

1) Manual Iron Bias control.

The Legend currently has a high iron bias preset setting. This significantly hinders its performance. Newer users wouldn't even know of the coins they missed, but experienced users would. For example, I recently hunted an old exhibition grounds that has a long strip of ground in which about 8" has been removed. They're putting in new buildings, extending the parking lot, etc. Anyway, most of the strip has almost nothing, but one end of the strip was full of old rusted nails and a lot of coins. I've now pulled out 19 silver coins which mostly dated from 1900-1930, and 11 large cents. Many of these coins were right beside 1, 2, or even 3 rusted nails. For this type of site, any detector should be run wide open (no filters or discrimination), and listen for the high tones. Even a hint of a high tone, means a coin almost every time...provided your tone breaks are set accordingly. Despite digging these coins that were often surrounded by nails, I estimate I'm missing at least 30% of the coins due to the high iron preset. The new iron bias control will have settings from 1 to 8. The default is 8 and is what the Legend is currently set at with its preset (like I said, very high). Please see the You Tube link at the bottom of this post.

2) Pitch tones for those that prefer VCO sound.

3) Mute button.

4) Selected setting will now blink for easier settings navigation.

5) A third SMF mode. It has something to do with moist ground / coke, and is mainly for the U.K. users.

6) Audio gain option to boost low signals.

7) The last discrimination pattern you used in any mode, will be remembered when you switch between modes. Previously when you switched modes, the discrimination pattern defaulted to the Custom pattern.

8) Mineralization indicator.

I've seen 2 tester videos in regards to the iron bias and pitch tones. One was from History Revisted, and the other from Iffy Signals. Here is the short video by Iffy Signals, and it's a great demonstration of what I am talking about when it comes to how important a manual iron bias control is. With the manual iron bias control and the pitch settings, the Legend will match the performance of the Deus 2 (especially in iron), and at a fraction of the cost. Plus, the Legend's warranty is transferrable, their warranty covers water intrusion --cough XP??--cough--, and Nokta actually answers users questions. With that said, the Simplex never had a water intrusion issue, and the Legend's housing is the same as the Simplex.

Here's the short video showing how the legend was significantly hindered in iron, and sites with a lot of rusty bottle caps and other ferrous trash. The video also shows the new manual iron bias control, and the profound difference in performance that it makes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPsDF1yjovQ

Last edited:
I am not seeing a proper ID why would i dig it in a trashy park .sube

I am not seeing a proper ID why would i dig it in a trashy park .sube

What ID a detector shows under that situation, depends on swing speed, coil size, the recovery setting, and if the good target is being honed in on and isolated. However, the audio always takes precedent (by far) over the ID in high iron sites.

Here is the complete list of 1.08 updates as far as I can remember (may not be totally exact on the details. I was distracted since I was watching the Colorado Avalanche win the Stanley Cup!!!!)

This update is being tested in the field currently. Will be released soon.

1. Iron Filtering from 1 to 8. Current 1.07 value equals setting 8 which will also be default in 1.08.

2. Iron Filtering Stability setting….fine tuner for iron bias when set to 1 through 7. Not active on default setting 8.

3. VCO “Tone Pitch” audio added to Park, Field and Beach.

4. Mute button (long press of frequency button)

5. Factory reset when in User Profile, long press Pinpoint button until FD.

6. Selected setting will blink (not just box around it blinking)

7. Audio Gain adjustment in Park, Field and Beach for boosting audio on weaker signals.

8. Third Multi setting M3 for use on wet ground, coke and conductive ground in Park and Field modes will lessen/eliminate 10 and 11 (ground) target ID responses

9. Last discrimination setting before shut down will be retained on startup.

10 Threshold tone frequency (pitch?) for Park, Field and Beach will be default 10 and Threshold tone improved.

11. Headphone and speaker audio can be ON at the same time for videos and training.

12. Sensitivity will automatically be lowered during the setting of Notches.

13. Mineralization indicator.

14. Audio during ground balance improved.

I think that is all……

Currently, no price increase.

10X5 and 12X9 coils coming soon.

Thank you very much Nokta Makro and all who made suggestions including tnsharpshooter who made some good ones (speaker and headphone simultaneous audio) in the beginning.

Last edited:
Thank you for the full list jmaclen :)

Once I get the 10x5 coil, I'll likely use it exclusively.

Thank you for the full list jmaclen :)

Once I get the 10x5 coil, I'll likely use it exclusively.

Same for me......that 10X5 aside from occasionally needing the 11" for maximum depth, will be an awesome everyday coil.

thanks for posting your summary!

Same for me......that 10X5 aside from occasionally needing the 11" for maximum depth.

Hmmm.

I'm thinking the 10x5 will go just as deep as the 11" concentric DD on coin size objects (especially with on edge and edged coins). Reason being, the tighter field of the 10x5, as well as the 11" being more prone to EMI and ground mineralization.

Hmmm.

I'm thinking the 10x5 will go just as deep as the 11" concentric DD on coin size objects (especially with on edge and edged coins). Reason being, the tighter field of the 10x5, as well as the 11" being more prone to EMI and ground mineralization.

I will do some serious in the field testing on coin sized and bigger 8" and deeper targets before making that assumption, just to be sure.

Agreed.

I normally don't like to assume, but in this case, I think the assumption arguments are strong. Well, they damn well better be, because I don't like changing coils :D

This is the update for the features that the users requested.

Highlights:

1) Manual Iron Bias control.

The Legend currently has a high iron bias preset setting. This significantly hinders its performance. Newer users wouldn't even know of the coins they missed, but experienced users would. For example, I recently hunted an old exhibition grounds that has a long strip of ground in which about 8" has been removed. They're putting in new buildings, extending the parking lot, etc. Anyway, most of the strip has almost nothing, but one end of the strip was full of old rusted nails and a lot of coins. I've now pulled out 19 silver coins which mostly dated from 1900-1930, and 11 large cents. Many of these coins were right beside 1, 2, or even 3 rusted nails. For this type of site, any detector should be run wide open (no filters or discrimination), and listen for the high tones. Even a hint of a high tone, means a coin almost every time...provided your tone breaks are set accordingly. Despite digging these coins that were often surrounded by nails, I estimate I'm missing at least 30% of the coins due to the high iron preset. The new iron bias control will have settings from 1 to 8. The default is 8 and is what the Legend is currently set at with its preset (like I said, very high). Please see the You Tube link at the bottom of this post.

2) Pitch tones for those that prefer VCO sound.

3) Mute button.

4) Selected setting will now blink for easier settings navigation.

5) A third SMF mode. It has something to do with moist ground / coke, and is mainly for the U.K. users.

6) Audio gain option to boost low signals.

7) The last discrimination pattern you used in any mode, will be remembered when you switch between modes. Previously when you switched modes, the discrimination pattern defaulted to the Custom pattern.

8) Mineralization indicator.

I've seen 2 tester videos in regards to the iron bias and pitch tones. One was from History Revisted, and the other from Iffy Signals. Here is the short video by Iffy Signals, and it's a great demonstration of what I am talking about when it comes to how important a manual iron bias control is. With the manual iron bias control and the pitch settings, the Legend will match the performance of the Deus 2 (especially in iron), and at a fraction of the cost. Plus, the Legend's warranty is transferrable, their warranty covers water intrusion --cough XP??--cough--, and Nokta actually answers users questions. With that said, the Simplex never had a water intrusion issue, and the Legend's housing is the same as the Simplex.

Here's the short video showing how the legend was significantly hindered in iron, and sites with a lot of rusty bottle caps and other ferrous trash. The video also shows the new manual iron bias control, and the profound difference in performance that it makes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPsDF1yjovQ

How many D2's have you seen with water intrusion ?

Last edited:
None, but it's too early to see how the pods and the coils will hold up.

Note that I said "XP?", because this is XP's first submersible control housing and wireless coil, and there are more than 1 red flags in regards to the water intrusion warranty.

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=297048

How many months has the D2 been out ? In the same time frame there were many Nox 800's that had already leaked. Also at this point in the Nox release we had seen multiple broken coils. Not so much with the D2.

Nokta makes a great product. I'm a huge fan of them. Curious as to why you had to fire a shot at XP ? I have a D2 and I haven't had any problems and I beach hunt 90% of the time.

How many months has the D2 been out ? In the same time frame there were many Nox 800's that had already leaked./snip/

I don't know if that's true, but even if the time frame you mentioned is correct, then the matter of units submersed in that time frame would be a big factor. In other words, in the same time frame, I suspect that a lot more Nox's were sold and submersed. In addition, there is the D2 coils, especially considering the wireless connection.

My comment about the D2 was a friendly elbow nudge for TSS, and for reasons that I'm sure most are aware of :). Also, my D2 comments are good information for those that are considering a D2.

Last edited:
How many months has the D2 been out ? In the same time frame there were many Nox 800's that had already leaked. Also at this point in the Nox release we had seen multiple broken coils. Not so much with the D2.

Nokta makes a great product. I'm a huge fan of them. Curious as to why you had to fire a shot at XP ? I have a D2 and I haven't had any problems and I beach hunt 90% of the time.

I’m glad people bring problems to the surface. Someone has to be the watch dog

None, but it's too early to see how the pods and the coils will hold up.

Note that I said "XP?", because this is XP's first submersible control housing and wireless coil, and there are more than 1 red flags in regards to the water intrusion warranty.

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=297048

Not trying to start an argument here, but the black XP coils have been waterproof for a long time so the only thing different about Deus ll coils is the 20 meter depth rating.

Also, the only ownership stipulations for the XP warranty are time (original sell date) and proof of actual ownership (receipt) for covered components. I have been the original and second hand owner of Deus, ORX and Deus ll components for a long time. Their warranty was transferable so I don’t know where the non-transferable idea came from. Maybe I missed it.

There were a handful of reports of Simplex water ingress issues that I read. Minuscule compared to the Nox.

Here it comes lol how dare you talk negatively about the D2! :laughing: thanks for sharing this info, great news!

You're welcome.

I knew I was sticking my neck out by showing any sort of constructive criticism toward the D2. Oh well.

TSS, where are you? :)Remember when you made that laughably ludicrous statement about how you thought the manual iron bias control would make the Legend worse? Now I'm sure I'm not the only one that thought your statement was ludicrous, but on the other hand, it was an understandable statement considering the source of the statement.

Jmaclen,

As you mentioned, it's not just about being submersible, but the amount of water pressure.

Hopefully someone can clarify the transferable warranty question, because like at least 1 other, I'm sure I read somewhere that the D2's warranty isn't transferable. Again though, note that I said, "XP" followed by a question mark.

I've never come across a Simplex water intrusion post on any forum or Facebook page. However, if there were a few, then the amount would be minuscule. When it's that minuscule, it's almost guaranteed that the water intrusion was housing damage caused by misuse...unlike the Nox, in which the water intrusion isn't being by caused by misuse.

Second hand XP Deus, Deus ll and ORX owners need their receipt from the entity they bought their XP from. Having a copy of the original purchase receipt for date and dealer and/or proof of product registration is good to have too.

As for the Legend using its adjustable iron bias being as good or better than Deus ll.......I am not going there until I see it with my own two eyes in person in the areas I hunt. Luckily for me I own and actually like the Equinox, Legend and Deus 2 so I can figure that out for myself.

I am not going to make any judgement like that based on someone's opinion, hearsay, second hand information or a YouTube arbitrary demonstration or wild hunt in mild dirt/sand.

Back
Top Bottom