A Reale Sweet Short Hunt

Chuck B

A friend at work just had some work done at his house, he had to move a retaining wall back a bit. He asked me to come over and check to see if the newly exposed area would produce anything (his house is on a corner and was built in the early 1900's). The picture is from earlier in the week, the dirt mound was gone this morning. Unfortunately, there was only a few modern pennies. It was a letdown for sure but nothing is guarantee. Luckily I had an existing permission on another corner house on the same street a block away. This house sits up off the street and the 2 sides facing the street slopes at a good pitch down to the sidewalk. A nightmare to mow to say the least. I had been there once before but had not had time to be thorough as I would have liked (hence the return). Anyway, I was not expecting much but on my first few swings I found what looked like a dogtag still on the chain. Turns out it was a blank planchet, no stampings. Continuing on I found the typical clad and then a decent signal which turned out to be an AA coin/token. A little later a beat up aluminum ring that says "Sweet". I got off the slope to hit some of the flat ground and after about 30 minutes I get a decent sounding signal but low VDI that bounced everywhere. About 3-4 inches down from a couple feet of the brick walkway I see a dirty thin silvery disc. I couldn't make it out at first and had to go to the car to use my phone to zoom in on it and take a picture to see it. Its a 1772 2 Reale. I could not believe it. Its worn and stained badly but its' my oldest coin to date! Thanks for looking and HH.

Attachments

• Resized_20220926_170951_1024.JPEG
    Resized_20220926_170951_1024.JPEG
    153.5 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_0766.JPG
    IMG_0766.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_0770.JPG
    IMG_0770.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_0771.JPG
    IMG_0771.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 312
Congrats on that beautiful 2 Reale! I hope to find one some day, though will probably have to head quite a ways east from where I live!

Oh man, that is beautiful! That is on my list, for sure. But seeing as I have yet to get 1800's silver, 1700's silver seems a stretch. :lol:

Congratulations on a great find!

Great save, congrats on the 250 + yr old Spanish silver 2 Reale. A real bucket lister for most. Well done. Mark

Congrats on that beautiful 2 Reale! I hope to find one some day, though will probably have to head quite a ways east from where I live!

Thanks LTS, It's my second Reale, honestly I never thought I'd ever get one. Both were in private property small lot residences built in the 1930's (different towns but close to me).

Great play-by-play. Great pix !

Thanks Tom. I usually leave the phone in the car, would have liked a pic with it in the ground.

Really, really nice finds! Thanks for sharing your story. I wish you many more great finds.

Thanks and same to you. HH

Great job!

Only 2 Reale I've got is so worn you can't see any date.

Thanks Detector. My other one was a small one with a barely readable date of 1807.

Oh man, that is beautiful! That is on my list, for sure. But seeing as I have yet to get 1800's silver, 1700's silver seems a stretch. :lol:

Congratulations on a great find!

Thanks. Persistence pays off, that and a good location and or getting lucky. :)

Great save, congrats on the 250 + yr old Spanish silver 2 Reale. A real bucket lister for most. Well done. Mark

Thanks Mark. It was unexpected but extremely welcomed.

Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

Thank you Digger

That is " huge ", congrats, the only Reale I see are from ( watching The Hoover Boys ), lol Congrats again !!!!! :kingdances::kingdances::kingdances:
too_

Back
Top Bottom