Dug a gold coin on the first hole.

Great find Larry! Still on my bucket list.
Can relate to your pregnant beach problem. Same thing 1500 miles to the Northeast after the remnants of Earl passed by offshore. The swells ended the entire ocean facing, south shore beach detecting season up here. Every target painfully deposited by summer tourists has been washed deeply down into the sand with only a minute strip of dry sand left up around the dune/wrack line left to hunt. Maybe Fiona will stir things up a bit,,, we gotta keep a positive outlook don't we?

Not me. I would just ask myself , Is it a gold coin ? Yes or no. ....

Wow Tom, was that really necessary? Everybody else had something encouraging to say.

Ouch. This discussion has come up before on md'ing forums : category of coin vs jewelry. It's not a topic that hasn't had the pro's/con's discussed before.

I'm game for them being counted as coins . Despite a bezel around them, or chain-clasp. It would mean I've got 17 instead of 16 gold coins. I got a dos pesos , as an earring (bezel around it) before. But never personally counted that as a gold coin.

So too do I know of 2 other guys around here, that if you asked them "How many gold coins have you found ?", they would clarify, in their count, "... XX as coins and x as jewelry ..." As if there's some sort of distinction ??

But ... yeah ... I guess this was the wrong time & place to bring up that *other* discussion. Sorry itsaring :(

Any gold coin on a beach is a rare find. Which made up for a rather bad hunt after walking a few miles. Much better than me as I only got sunglasses , an iPhone and a $93 parking ticket.
Ouch! I think our paid parking ends Sept. 30th, so the few tourists over winter will park and spend some money at the restaurants at the beach.

Great coin find. Haven’t seen one off the beach in some time that’s been shown at least. I’m jealous of course. Congrats
Thanks Dew!

Congrats on a rare find! I'm still looking for one of those.:yes:
Thanks! Hope you find one in the near future!

Sweet gold and nice photos, congrats!
Thanks SS!

Congrats on the goldie! Not much says it better than a gold piece/coin.
Thanks for the comment!

Congrats on the gold coin , U Da Man :kingdances:
Just lucky this week:lol:

Yay! Larry! Now I can quit feeling guilty on not selling you one of mine🥳
This one requires glasses to see:lol:

Outstanding find!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Rattlehead!

Boom!! Nice one itsa!!
Thanks Joe!

I would count that in the gold jewelry category. Not the gold "coin" category. Since that was made into recent-loss-jewelry.
Thanks Tom!

Not me. I would just ask myself , Is it a gold coin ? Yes or no. Bingo ! I wouldn't care about the history of how long its been buried. Or what's attached to it.
As long as it existed once as a real gold coin i'd count it.

Wow Tom, was that really necessary? Everybody else had something encouraging to say.
It's all good. If i eyeball find a gold ring i count it as well. It's like finding a Spanish Reale with a hole in it. Did someone actually lose it last year as Jewelry? Still a Reale!

Great find Larry! Still on my bucket list.
Can relate to your pregnant beach problem. Same thing 1500 miles to the Northeast after the remnants of Earl passed by offshore. The swells ended the entire ocean facing, south shore beach detecting season up here. Every target painfully deposited by summer tourists has been washed deeply down into the sand with only a minute strip of dry sand left up around the dune/wrack line left to hunt. Maybe Fiona will stir things up a bit,,, we gotta keep a positive outlook don't we?
Hopefully we get some movement without actually getting hit by any storms. It's rough swinging a detector non stop for half an hour without hearing anything. Gold luck out there!

Ouch. This discussion has come up before on md'ing forums : category of coin vs jewelry. It's not a topic that hasn't had the pro's/con's discussed before.

I'm game for them being counted as coins . Despite a bezel around them, or chain-clasp. It would mean I've got 17 instead of 16 gold coins. I got a dos pesos , as an earring (bezel around it) before. But never personally counted that as a gold coin.

So too do I know of 2 other guys around here, that if you asked them "How many gold coins have you found ?", they would clarify, in their count, "... XX as coins and x as jewelry ..." As if there's some sort of distinction ??

But ... yeah ... I guess this was the wrong time & place to bring up that *other* discussion. Sorry itsaring :(
No worries Tom. I got friends who count a gold chain and a Pendant as two gold finds. I don't, but that's just me. I also don't count silicone rings. Some do. Hopefully one day i will find some of those gold coins supposedly hammered into a mast to avoid Taxes and we can figure that one out. I'd just have to PM you in private since i won't be posting that one in public:lol:

Hmm...is somebody here trying to tell me my gold silicone rings don't count as gold or jewelry ? No wonder my counts are high. As I count them as both...

You could take a Zincoln, spray paint it gold, and I would count it as a gold coin. The chances of me ever finding a gold coin, in coin or earring form, is about zero, so I’ll take what I can get!
That beach hunting sure appears to take some patience, I’m not sure I could walk that far for so little. But I suppose the possibility of a great find exists, so it’s all good. Very nice coin/earring/coin earring!!:yes:

Hmm...is somebody here trying to tell me my gold silicone rings don't count as gold or jewelry ? No wonder my counts are high. As I count them as both...
If you look to the left of the ring in the photo, you see a ring type object. That is actually a piece they crimp the end of braided hair with. I suppose it could also be used as a ring:lol:

You could take a Zincoln, spray paint it gold, and I would count it as a gold coin. The chances of me ever finding a gold coin, in coin or earring form, is about zero, so I’ll take what I can get!
That beach hunting sure appears to take some patience, I’m not sure I could walk that far for so little. But I suppose the possibility of a great find exists, so it’s all good. Very nice coin/earring/coin earring!!:yes:
Used to be easier to keep your mind occupied looking for sharks teeth and shells while you swing and hear very little. They started putting in clean sand where i live so you seldom find even pretty shells anymore. I found a shell a couple weeks ago i gave to a tourist and they were excited like they won on a scratch off lotto ticket. Used to find big Whelk shells all the time and give them away. Now i can't even find one to put in front of my mailbox:no:

Huge congrats! A gold coin (whether made into a piece of jewelry or not) is at the top of just about any metal detectorist! I can understand the distinction Tom is making but I’d still be pretty happy with it.

Nice dig's Larry. Congrats on the "GOLD COIN". Hoping to get down your way this winter. Haven't been down since pre Covid. I still have your address, so don't be surprised to see me at your front door:yes:

Shazam! Great coin find!

Geo
Thanks Geo!

Huge congrats! A gold coin (whether made into a piece of jewelry or not) is at the top of just about any metal detectorist! I can understand the distinction Tom is making but I’d still be pretty happy with it.
Yeah not many will post the other type gold coins.

Excellent find!! Still looking for my first gold coin. Congrats!
One out there waiting for you somewhere's if Tom didn't get them all.

Nice dig's Larry. Congrats on the "GOLD COIN". Hoping to get down your way this winter. Haven't been down since pre Covid. I still have your address, so don't be surprised to see me at your front door:yes:
Welcome down any time Curt!

A very cool and scarce find. Congrats
Thanks Joe!

Nice gold save!
Thanks Kaufenanger!

Hey Larry, way to go on the gold coin. It has been sanded here. But plan on going out the on the end of the storm. Be safe and the you and Kap go and hit it like pirates should.

You as well! Hopefully it moves some sand without moving some house shingles.

Back
Top Bottom