My electrolysis results on an old brass button (before & after)

I am confused about this setup from the pictures.....also, Electrolysis is what the professionals use, including museums, who say that for proper electrolytic cleaning that there is before and after care, and that it should be done for 6-24 months before taking it out. With a proper setup I don't see how 5 minutes could hurt anything, except that, I thought I read that it should really only be used with iron or it could do more harm than good....Please don't quote me on this I could be wrong? I use the bucket technique with 6 anodes and a 12v/6a charger. I read the big boys use up to 200 amps but a low voltage for things like civil war cannons.

I think the long term electrolysis applies to items that have been in salt water, it takes awhile to cook that salt out.

I gotta admit I'm a little confused on connecting the positive and negative power source wires. Some articles I have read say that the positive wire needs to be attached to the item being cleaned and others say the positive wire must be attached to item being sacrificed. Can we get this cleared up?

Back
Top Bottom