Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Kellyco Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Research and Getting Permission

Old 09-18-2018, 06:43 PM
Explorer

Default Local research

Facebook can be a great tool if you can find the right group. Found a group for my town and asked where the old local swimming holes where. Now some I already knew, but a few where surprises. Needless to say I have a few spots lined up.
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2018, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Spartan84 View post
Facebook can be a great tool if you can find the right group. Found a group for my town and asked where the old local swimming holes where. Now some I already knew, but a few where surprises. Needless to say I have a few spots lined up.
That's such a good idea! Might have to get back on the 'book to try some different angles.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:54 PM
Elite Member

Awesome idea. Hope you find lots of old gold

Old 09-20-2018, 08:10 AM
Supporter

Its a very good strategy! When I hit an unfamiliar town...I zoom around with the satellite view.....I find an old school, cemetery, RR tracks, millpond etc...and then find the nearest swimming water...

downstream from the RR bridge over any little old creek has been an informal swimming hole for years...the creek never leaves the bed there downstream...

Any thing you can use to narrow down this huge Planet for hunting spots is helpful! Especially in America, where its only been inhabited by metal droppers for a relatively short time...coupla hunnerd years and in some towns a lot less than that...

But yeah, you gotta find the old swimming holes if you can! Folks didnt have AC! Not even in the 60's! So yeah...Super huge good thing to ask around and hear the stories!

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.