M16 Assault Rifle in own Backyard!

You'll likely have to inquire about it and request it's return. They aren't going to give it up otherwise.

The markings looks funny. I've never seen an M16 style rifle that said M16 Assault Rifle. They normally have M16-A1 or A2 and the manufacturers name.

Same here, I don't remember what the training rifles they used in swim qual said on them but it could be one of those.

basic

Recently I built a new shed foundation along with a shed to sit atop of it so that I have a place to store some man items. We've also been redoing the backyard as it is a city lot and just seems to be filled with broken glass all over it, so we've been hand picking it as we go.

Well today I stumbled across the motherload of glass shards and as I began to dig down and pick them up 1 by 1, I noticed a trash bag. I thought to myself, oh great, someone filled this bag full of bottles and glass and dumbed it here.

As I continued to work my way around the bag to the point of being able to free it, I noticed it still had some weight to it and as I began to dig it out, I peeled back the plastic and my eyes must have popped out of my head.

I saw the butt end of the stock and initially thought it was a toy, but as we worked it out of the dirt, it was heavy duty and like nothing I've seen as a kid. Now I'm clearly not an expert on it, but I thought it was weird that it was clearly marked M16 Assault Rifle by the magazine insertion point.

Anyone confirm if this is legit or not? I did have the police come out and they took it downtown for a closer look with forensics being involved, so who knows... but what a night!
while in basic we used viet nam era m16 a2. the handle dates it but the side should say armalite or (belive it or not) Mattel , who made them at the time for AR,Armalite

They must be real if there is a picture. LoL

Attachments

• jackalope1.jpg
    jackalope1.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 582
the rifle too

And from what info I've read, it was originally issued to Air Force troops as the AR-15. Modified by the U.S. Army, and designated the M16-A1, and initially hated by the Vietnam Veterans. (Small tidbit of trivia; The original manufacturer of the stocks and handguards was Mattel Toy Company.)

Roger
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20080724/1645011783.shtml

I know this is a semi-old thread but the place with the "assault rifle" markings is where the firearm manufacturer puts their stamp. For instance: colt, sig, anything. So that is certainly odd. The photos dont show me enough but the magazine release components certainly look functional as well as the bolt catch button. I cant see the charging handle, fire selector either. Were you able to cycle the action? In person i could tell you if this were an actual firearm in about 3 seconds. But given JUST the photos, and the lack of a manufacturer stamp on the magazine well, i would say that it is a replica firearm. But that begs the question: why bury it?

That lower part w the markings is called the "lower receiver" and by the ATF/govt, THAT part only is considered the "firearm." Therefore it needs to indicate its national origin and serial #. Otherwise, it probably is not real. I have fixed/sold/handled thousands of AR type rifles and never seen that marking.

AAAND I just saw it was already identified.... sorry folks, got excited about a modern firearm question.

Last edited:
while in basic we used viet nam era m16 a2. the handle dates it but the side should say armalite or (belive it or not) Mattel , who made them at the time for AR,Armalite

The VietNam era M16 was the A1 version , the A2 didn't start getting distributed until the 80s. At least in my AO anyway.

Back
Top Bottom