Equinox numbers start jumping around for no reason.

Underworld

Normally its a quiet machine, however out of the blue numbers start freaking out etc.. Anyone know why this happens? and what to do to keep it from happening?

My first time out, I noticed it was a stable machine.. but these hiccups bother me.

What I try to do is lower the sensitivity. (kind of helps)

And re-noise cancel. (doesnt seem to have any effect)

Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Edit: I would also like to note, it happened 4-5 times within 30-45 minutes.

Last edited:
Are you carrying a cell phone?? Are you close to electric lines a cell phone tower or other area that could cause EMI?? All things that can cause a problem.

First, check that the coil cable is not loose. Next, take it to another location to test. EMI can bloom up anywhere these days. My front yard used to be 99% stable. Nowadays, it's 60-70% stable in Multi unless I walk to back acres.

Try changing the frequency to 10khz and see if that calms it down. If so, it's surely EMI

It's always possible that you have a lot of debris in-between your coil cover and the coil if you've used it for a while, especially used in sand lots. Be tedious taking it off. It can break.

Thank you both, yes I carry a Cell phone,. however the first time I took it out, it wasnt effected by it. would be nice to keep it on, but should I turn it off?

I have cellular on my iwatch series 5 too,. should I remove it?

Thank you for the idea to change the frequency.. I will test that out next time. Thank you both very much!

I have always carried a cell phone in all of my years, and not once found interference caused by the phone. But, it certainly has some merit, since it keeps popping up in discussions. I really doubt it is your problem though.

Easy test...go outside and wave the phone around and see if you get spikes. Me? I will never go without my IPhone, for security reasons. Jm2c

Normally its a quiet machine, however out of the blue numbers start freaking out etc.. Anyone know why this happens? and what to do to keep it from happening?

My first time out, I noticed it was a stable machine.. but these hiccups bother me.

What I try to do is lower the sensitivity. (kind of helps)

And re-noise cancel. (doesnt seem to have any effect)

Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Edit: I would also like to note, it happened 4-5 times within 30-45 minutes.

Sounds like electromagnetic interference EMI. It can come and go, as well as be very localized to a spot and you move 15 feet and it's gone.

Next time it happens, cycle through the different frequencies to see what happens. If it changes based on the frequency, then it's likely EMI.

Sorry Underworld I had a brain fart. After I posted the question I was thinking Underworld sounded familiar. That's interesting you were at CDM and had the issue. When I had my Fisher F4 I would experience what I'm assuming is the same issue you have when I hunted CDM or the wedge every time a boat with radar was sailing thru the channel. I also had the problem when a plane was overhead taking off from SNA. It would happen enough times that I had no doubt that the EMI was coming from a boat or plane. But I've hunted that area with my nox and had no problem. That's one reason I gave up on my F4. I was thinking about hunting that area again but I think I cleaned it out last month.

Hey there Mike, its me.. New port beach man.. I was at Corona del mar last night.. doing a little night mission :)

Last edited:
Should include more info related to if it was wet sand, dry, water. And if there was a lot of black sand, rock etc.

Mike may be on to something with the radar thing. Either that or perhaps you're walking over some UFO spacecraft trash :laughing:

Underworld, This popped up in my brain last night. My machine was going nuts once and an icon showed up on the display I hadn't seen before while hunting in a small patch of wet black sand. The machine worked fine as I left the area. I did some research and in the nox documentation it stated that the machine may overload in black sand.

Underworld, This popped up in my brain last night. My machine was going nuts once and an icon showed up on the display I hadn't seen before while hunting in a small patch of wet black sand. The machine worked fine as I left the area. I did some research and in the nox documentation it stated that the machine may overload in black sand.

I don't know about the machine freaking out, but I sure freaked out when I saw that exclamation mark on my machine during it's maiden voyage into the water. Thought for sure it was a battery compromised error and got real :mad::mad: and packed up everything for the day :laughing:

were you in black sand?

You 2 guys might want to try around the volleyball courts. Firepits are good too , but can be tough. This advice is for using the Nox. In the wet , use a better machine if you got one. Mostly fresh drops at CDM. I been pounding it for 30 years and still find stuff.

Back
Top Bottom