Is female connector on headphone adapter waterproof?

pine3874

Elite Member
I have a headphone adapter for my Simplex and did an experiment by putting the 1/4" female connector and male headphone jack connected together under water to see if it would work and it did. There was no distortion or interference. Was just wondering if this could long term do any damage to the connectors? Both of the connectors are molded so no water can get into the wiring.

Attachments

• f1.jpg
    f1.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 482
Last edited:
I would use rubberized electrical tape that stretches and will develope a water-tight seal if you wind the tape with proper overlaps. I have done that and after a year of occasional use in the river or lake it seems to have not failed.

My detector has a plug to shut it of. Were it is upside down for start.

I would also seal this one with a bag or tape or something.
Electronics can handle some water and will not quickly damage after drying, as long as there are no false streams which short circuit.
But eventually you can never say that water and electronics together are good.

There are a lot of electrical devices that will work when wet but if you don't dry them out will corrode. I used to use 12 V light bulbs underwater in the salt water. We didn't attempt to water proof them and they worked just fine. However we rinsed them well with fresh water and dried them out before we used them again. It was for flounder gigging at night.

Back
Top Bottom