Another 1800's Coin Spill with Seated Liberty and Barber Dimes!

FreeBirdTim

Elite Member
Went back to the spot where I found three 1800's IHC's two days ago and hit the jackpot again! Pulled out six coins in a two foot area, including 5 from the 1800's. This spot is covered with tree branches, making it hard to swing my coil, so there may be more to find. Just have to get ambitious and drag them all away.

The first coin was an 1890 seated liberty dime, followed by 4 toasted IHC's and then ended the day with an 1896 Barber dime! The seated is very worn and the Barber is a little pitted, but still great finds. Three of the IHC's are in rough shape, but I can read an 1890 date on one of them. The last one, a 1900, cleaned up nicely with mineral oil.

Here's some pics. The in situ pics are fuzzy, but the coins were so cruddy out of the ground, you wouldn't have been able to ID them any way.

Attachments

• G0060194 (2).jpg
    G0060194 (2).jpg
    64 KB · Views: 713
  • IMG_0212 (2).jpg
    IMG_0212 (2).jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 671
  • IMG_0215 (2).jpg
    IMG_0215 (2).jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 670
  • IMG_0225.jpg
    IMG_0225.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 634
  • IMG_0234.jpg
    IMG_0234.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 636
Weird, how 3 of those cents are toast, while the 4th isn’t! Like it was lost decades after the first 3.

Thanks! Yup, that really nice 1900 IHC is a mystery. Maybe it was on edge in the ground? That might have helped to keep it in decent shape.

Looks like you have a great spot for 19th century coins and well worth the time to clear the brush outta the way,
Big Congrats on another great spill!

I think it is the chemicals in lawn fertilizer that eat up the copper coins.

Thanks, guys! I do find a lot of no date IHC's around here. The soil in the woods around here is pretty acidic, which eats up the coppers.

That's a nice dig. Good job. You know what you're doing. Great spot too.

Definitely some solid digs, congrats Tim!

Thanks, Jeff! I'm dying to go back there, but I'm going to wait for the next heavy rain to help those crusty IHC's pop! I'm thinking there might be a V nickel or two hiding in there as well. I'm going to hit it until I strike out a few times. Being stubborn is a good trait in metal detecting! LOL!

Back
Top Bottom