Young Metal Detector Finds Live Mortar Round

:laughing::laughing::laughing: What's the news?
Happens all the time overhere. I won't, but could find several articles about it if i wanted.

Can't avoid it as it can be laying around everywere. Even were no fights were, dangerous airplane 20mm heads can be found. Litterly everywere.

I do get it that kids get a detector. But i still don't get it that some of them may hunt WWII area, sometimes even with their parents.

Happens all the time overhere. ...

Ha, good point. If this was "news-worthy", you should hurry, drop everything, send the news-cameras to film some clips of the myriad of casings and cartridges at certain places I hunt. :roll:

And then ... what ? Raises awareness that all-these md'ing-yahoos shouldn't be out poking around ? :?:

The reality is: You couldn't get these un-exploded bullets/round to explode or be dangerous, even if you bashed on them with a hammer !

Happens all the time overhere.

I'm sure it's common in Europe but not in Middle Tennessee. The last major war in Tennessee was during the 1860's. The US Army did use areas near Lebanon, TN during WWII for training.

The reality is: You couldn't get these un-exploded bullets/round to explode or be dangerous, even if you bashed on them with a hammer !

Sorry, but there you are wrong. Do not underestimate these small things. Even those are made to damage and kill. Remind that it can only go wrong one time for you.

Especially small granades, hand granades, and mortar bombs (as this kid found) are a serious risk. This because their ignitors are simple and therefore unstable. And even more after years in the ground.
Those can go off by even turning almost nothing. Mostly not, but they can, and sometimes really do (read further). And know that such mortar is automatically set sharp when fired, so always tricky sensitive when a blind one.

If those which i mentioned above are found, those are almost always blown at the spot were the've been found, or nearby.
Big 17pdr's and 25 pdr's are usually discharged and taken with them. And even with those they first look if the ignitor (sometimes aluminum) are corroded gone. Those small ones never if not necessaire (like in a neighbourhood were they can not explode them).

I have found enough of them and got the services at it to know. Found all kind of granades from 20mm granades up to 25 pounders. I have hunted militaria, and i myself had to run away as such as you say "harmless" one started to smoke :shock: immidiatly after i put my spade in the ground. :shock: Never run so quick, leaving my spade behind, both without thinking.
Only contact with oxigen (digging!) can be enough to ignite certain ones (often WWII HE's).

If i may choose i will walk 100 yards with a 25 pounder, but that 20mm/handgr./mortar one i will refuse to touch, that dangerous.
Eventually bomb squad is active almost dayly for that old WWII stuff, and (still) each year!! at least one person get's killed by it. Only in my small country that is!

Wow that is scary. Glad they alerted authorities and no one got hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, but there you are wrong. Do not underestimate these small things. Even those are made to damage and kill. Remind that it can only go wrong one time for you.

Especially small granades, hand granades, and mortar bombs (as this kid found) are a serious risk. This because their ignitors are simple and therefore unstable. And even more after years in the ground.
Those can go off by even turning almost nothing. Mostly not, but they can, and sometimes really do (read further). And know that such mortar is automatically set sharp when fired, so always tricky sensitive when a blind one.

If those which i mentioned above are found, those are almost always blown at the spot were the've been found, or nearby.
Big 17pdr's and 25 pdr's are usually discharged and taken with them. And even with those they first look if the ignitor (sometimes aluminum) are corroded gone. Those small ones never if not necessaire (like in a neighbourhood were they can not explode them).

I have found enough of them and got the services at it to know. Found all kind of granades from 20mm granades up to 25 pounders. I have hunted militaria, and i myself had to run away as such as you say "harmless" one started to smoke :shock: immidiatly after i put my spade in the ground. :shock: Never run so quick, leaving my spade behind, both without thinking.
Only contact with oxigen (digging!) can be enough to ignite certain ones (often WWII HE's).

If i may choose i will walk 100 yards with a 25 pounder, but that 20mm/handgr./mortar one i will refuse to touch, that dangerous.
Eventually bomb squad is active almost dayly for that old WWII stuff, and (still) each year!! at least one person get's killed by it. Only in my small country that is!

Thanx for the correction. I was thinking of individual unspent bullets. But I did not make the distinction. You make valid timely points !

Back
Top Bottom