Newby in Central FLA

Fireplug

Do not own a detector yet, but wanted to research and see what is recommended. And hopefully learn the language and tips on how to have fun detecting.
Thanks for letting me join.

Welcome from Winnsboro, South Carolina !!!!

For members to offer possible suggestions on detectors it would help if they know if you will only be detecting on land or also in water, also what the price range you want to stay within.

:mder:_____:mder: _____:mder:_____:mder:

Welcome to the hobby from Forney, Texas.

There are a lot of very capable instruments on the market these days, and you don't have to spend a small fortune to get a good one. Just read all you can, ask questions, and do your due diligence...

fmdfwelcome.gif
... from the cold and snowy state of Minnesota!
lotsasnow.gif
trucksnow.gif
We're glad that you have joined us.
yes.gif
Happy hunting!
mds.gif

Welcome! My dad started with a Bojnty Hunter Quick Silver (~$100) and did pretty well considering but he has recently upgraded to a Minelab Vanquish 540 (~$500) and is just getting used to it. I started with, and still use, a Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro (~$200 on sale) and have found some pretty cool stuff. I think a lot of others have smartly recommended to start with a lower cost/gently used higher end detector to see if you're gonna really get into the hobby prior to dropping big money only to find out the hobby is not what you thought it would be.

Do not own a detector yet, but wanted to research and see what is recommended. And hopefully learn the language and tips on how to have fun detecting.
Thanks for letting me join.

Glad to have you on the forum! I've got a few articles to hopefully help you along in learning the hobby of detecting. Also, here's a list of the 12 most popular detectors via Kellyco (affiliate link). Hope you find what you're "looking for" (metal detecting pun) :p

Welcome from Siberia - I mean Michigan. For what it’s worth, I’m getting back into the hobby after a 10+ year hiatus. I just did about two months of steady research and decided on a Minelab Equinox 600. That said, my advice would be to start with something like the Simplex+. Seems like a very good machine at a relatively low price for someone new to the hobby. If it is something you find that you’ll stick with, you can upgrade later but MANY experienced people are sticking with it. Don’t hesitate to post your questions. Folks on here are uber helpful. Food for thought. Good luck and happy hunting!

Well, I came across a pretty good deal on FB Marketplace that I couldn't pass up. An old gentleman used it once and then had a heart attack and can no longer go detecting, so he sold me his Excalibur II for $800 and threw in a Garret Pro Pointer AT and 6″ Monster Stainless Steel Water Scoop both were unused. He also had a straight shaft that was not attached yet, I think I did well.

Back
Top Bottom