‘50’s Sci Fi

Wom 27

Elite Member
It’s been a year or two. My favorite James Whitmore scary movie on Turner classics, just starting, “ THEM “. Hope they follow it with “ The Day the Earth Stood Still “

I really enjoyed "Them!", but I've never seen "The Day The Earth Stood Still". One of my favorites is "When Worlds Collide".

-- Tom

It’s been a year or two. My favorite James Whitmore scary movie on Turner classics, just starting, “ THEM “. Hope they follow it with “ The Day the Earth Stood Still “

Both THEM and The Day The Earth Stood Still (the original not the remake) are quite possibly the best sci-fi movies of all time. I actually saw both those movies at the theater when they were released. I was only five years old when The Day The Earth stood Still was released and only thought it was a cool movie about robots from outer space. It was years later I saw it again and understood the message the movie was trying to convey. "Them" also had a message concerning nuclear energy.

Lots of greats back then. Can't forget The Blob with Steve McQueen. I also liked Creature from The Black Lagoon and Invasion of The Bodysnatchers.

I really enjoyed "Them!", but I've never seen "The Day The Earth Stood Still". One of my favorites is "When Worlds Collide".

-- Tom

You gotta see the original of "The Day the Earth Stood Still" Tom, it really holds up! Another is the first or original "Night of the Living Dead" which started the whole Zombie flick craze!

OK, one more..."The Thing"

You gotta see the original of "The Day the Earth Stood Still" Tom, it really holds up! Another is the first or original "Night of the Living Dead" which started the whole Zombie flick craze!

OK, one more..."The Thing"

I've seen the original "Night of the Living Dead", and I think I have it on DVD. I've seen "The Thing" (1951), and the remake from the 80's. The effects in the later one were great, but the story from 1951 was better.

As far as giant bug movies, I liked the one about the giant praying mantis ("The Deadly Mantis" (1957)) and giant grasshoppers/locusts ("The Beginning of the End" (1957)). The latter had a flaw that a nitpicker pointed out: Some grasshoppers were hanging around in midair because the shot was done with the model of the city in an aquarium.

BTW, "Return of the Living Dead" was funny!

-- Tom

True story: I was detecting a couple of years ago. Got a good hit....and dug into an ant nest! Got a 1945 Mercury dime though, and no bites. "Them" was on that night on TCM.

Coincidence?

The Day The Earth Stood Still is definitely a classic. If you want to see a couple of more modern SciFi/Horror movies, try The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra, or Fido, the best zombie movie ever. :shock:

If you’ve never seen ‘Plan 9 from Outer Space’, give it a try. A no budget laugher considered the worst movie ever made.

I love tacky Sci-Fi movies. Even if technically they weren't that good, I loved'em!!
Revenge of the giant Gila Monster and Colossal Man come to mind. Killer Shrew and The Tingler. Ooh that was a good one!!!

Bill

Back
Top Bottom