Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Old 10-25-2021, 11:48 AM
Elite Member

Just stick with it Katie. In time you wont even think much about it. You'll bend on one knee and dig faster and more accurate. But how you pinpoint is just a matter of what you like. I think I'm faster doing the wiggle back and forth over the target signal while pulling the coil towards my feet. The target is right off the tip of the coil. Iron, like an old rusty nail can throw that target a few inches off know matter what method you pinpoint with. I usually don't even look at the depth meter. I pull out the hand held pinpointer as I'm bending and quick scan over the signal and if it's not shallow enough to beep on the Garrett Pro pointer, I start digging a 4" to 5" plug. I'm usually within a couple inches if not dead on and like I said above, an old rusty nail can be off to one side to where I've had to widen the hole a bit. Coins though, I'm mostly right on or close. I use the hand held PP heavily. Good luck and have fun. Time, experience, osmosis is what its about. After a while you wont even think about it. tin.

Old 10-25-2021, 01:14 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by petejc View post
Martin,
I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer...That didn't help me much...Can you explain that again in another way....I'm 77 so the old brain is a little slow on the uptake...
I got "wordy", sorry. Maybe this video will possibly help a little. Send me a personal message if it doesn't.

Quickly though, is it the discrimination and non-discrimination mode that is mostly unclear?

I Googled "Minelab wiggle" to get that video. There is lots about the wiggle if you want to explore in Google. Hope all this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXRydo4lWhQ

Old 10-26-2021, 02:06 AM

Martin,
That video was very helpful...Thank you very much.I've been kind of doing that but just wasn't hitting the target very precise....I guess I just need some more practice....Thanks again....Pete

Old 10-27-2021, 11:08 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by CPT_GhostLight View post
Where I live, we are not allowed to dig plugs in city parks, so I use more of a surgical extraction method. I locate the target with the Nox. If it is shallow (about 4" or less), I'll just pinpoint it with my F-Pulse and insert a probe to verify the target's location and depth. Then I widen the probe hole about 1-2" diameter and pull out the target with my finger or some rubber coated forceps and squeeze the hole closed.

If the target is smaller or deeper than 4", then I usually pinpoint with the Nox, verify with the F-Pulse and probe, then cut a 3-4" slit in the sod and pull it open slightly to extract soil with a very thin trowel until the target is reached. Then I use 12" forceps to recover the target, replace the dirt, and close the slit.

These methods leave zero trace of disturbance on the grass and no troubles with my local parks department.
gotta believe you must be "damn good" doing that!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Old 10-28-2021, 11:51 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by KatieKat View post
Iím having some trouble with digging plugs and still being able to find the target. Usually it ends up being off center and my target is slightly to the left or right of my plug. How big do you normally dig them? Softball sized? Bigger? Smaller?
This is a great question! I would say 6 inches to start. Once you get better you can narrow that down. It just takes practice.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
405-206-9010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Authorized

Minelab partner of year 2012, Customer service awards '12 and '13.

Old 10-28-2021, 03:22 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by petejc View post
Martin,
That video was very helpful...Thank you very much.I've been kind of doing that but just wasn't hitting the target very precise....I guess I just need some more practice....Thanks again....Pete
Really dry soil conditions will bring the final target location inward sometimes, an inch or so, under the nose of the coil. It does that on shallow coins anyways.

Glad I may have helped.

Old 10-28-2021, 04:38 PM
Elite Member

I dig mine at least 12" round.

Old 10-30-2021, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by jmaryt View post
gotta believe you must be "damn good" doing that!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
It took quite a while to get it down, but it's our only choice if you want to detect the parks where I live. After doing it for a couple of years now, I've gotten pretty good at it and it allows me to get permissions in some "fancy" areas of town.

Old 10-31-2021, 10:55 PM
Elite Member

My last plug was 8 foot by 6 foot and still wasn't big enough.