Ice ice baby!!! (Repair & Appraisal Complete! 8/19)

8/19 UPDATE:
The results are in, and it's definitely alot better than I thought it would be. Just goes to show you, just getting out and keeping your eyes peeled can pay off sometimes. I don't plan on selling it anytime soon, I think a display of sorts is in the bracelets future. That's if I can keep it away from the wife long enough :lol: thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 20210819_134327.jpg
    20210819_134327.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 255
  • 20210819_145850.jpg
    20210819_145850.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 258
HOLY :gettinmoney: Score

Outstanding,congratulations

Man… what a sweet score, Jeff. You just earned a lot of get out of the house to detect points !!!!

You hit it outta the park with that one Jeff. Congrats. Mark

take a bow sir! congrats!

Sorry I missed this one, Jeff. What a stunning find! Going to be very hard to top that one!

$10,000!!!!!!:jawdrop::dingding:

Very nice! Of course replacement value and what it's actually worth are two different things

Steve

Very nice!

Amazing score!
Thanks everyone! Definitely my most valuable find so far, but surprisingly still not my favorite. The search begins for another! Good luck out there!

I've been following this thread and that was an awesome find!

But...
this has been gnawing at me, so I have to ask. If that was found in recent tire tracks on top of the ground, it was probably a recent loss. For that kind of value, it would probably have been reported lost. But as I understand it, items are reported as lost or stolen so that an insurance claim can be made. So if/when it turns up, it can be seen as perhaps 'stolen'.
Some valuable items have been recovered years later and the current holder of the item can be out whatever they paid because they are in possession of "stolen" property. I don't know - just seems like it could be a can of worms down the road.

In my state (Wis) people are required to report anything found with a value of over $100. If it is not claimed within 30 days, it belongs to the finder.

I guess I just have been contemplating the ethics of finding an item worth thousands of dollars while metal detecting. Any other thoughts or opinions?

It may not be a recent drop. We've had a ridiculous amount of rain this summer, so it could have been unearthed from erosion. Just my take on it...

My wife would not wear it, afraid SHE would loose it!
that's an awesome find. estate stuff in my income bracket. investment piece.

curious.... did you lay it out and see what it would ring up? in a pile or even show up laid out strait?

about the only things i eyeball are marbles.

I've been following this thread and that was an awesome find!

But...
this has been gnawing at me, so I have to ask. If that was found in recent tire tracks on top of the ground, it was probably a recent loss. For that kind of value, it would probably have been reported lost. But as I understand it, items are reported as lost or stolen so that an insurance claim can be made. So if/when it turns up, it can be seen as perhaps 'stolen'.
Some valuable items have been recovered years later and the current holder of the item can be out whatever they paid because they are in possession of "stolen" property. I don't know - just seems like it could be a can of worms down the road.

In my state (Wis) people are required to report anything found with a value of over $100. If it is not claimed within 30 days, it belongs to the finder.

I guess I just have been contemplating the ethics of finding an item worth thousands of dollars while metal detecting. Any other thoughts or opinions?

It may not be a recent drop. We've had a ridiculous amount of rain this summer, so it could have been unearthed from erosion. Just my take on it...

Thanks for looking fellas. I don't believe this was a recent drop, it was in horrible condition and highly worn, likely due to being run over, bulldozed, frozen, trampled by horses, you name it. It was probably 2-3" down in a tire rut (no telling how long the rut was there, though it looked somewhat recent), and the heavy rains the previous week was probably the only reason I was able to see it. I've returned jewelry in the past, if this find was maybe personalized somehow where I could maybe find an owner, then I would absolutely make the effort. If someone some day comes looking for it, and can prove previous ownership, I'd gladly give it back, for now its sits in my display case with my other prized finds. I personally feel no obligation to report anything, and I feel I earned this find, with persistence and perseverance! :lol: Just wish it was something I could at least wear :laughing: I'll keep looking :detector: Good luck, and happy hunting!

Back
Top Bottom