Am I weird...

NickelPlate

...for being obsessed with keeping all of my digging tools super clean? After I get home from a hunt I spotlessly clean all of my stuff until I get all of the dirt off everything. Even though I know I’ll be down in the dirt again the next day.:laughing:

Maybe it’s because I’m a newbie, but I always have been one to take really good care of my stuff.

Yup, you're weird. Joking! I can't wait to see all the pics of muddy detectors and accessories coming.

Hey, not a bad habit, I'd need to make sure the worst of it is off outside, anything I can do to keep from bringing mud into the house keeps me out of trouble with my wife :laughing:

I'm on a tight budget as far as hobby stuff, so I also try to take really good care of my stuff.

...for being obsessed with keeping all of my digging tools super clean? After I get home from a hunt I spotlessly clean all of my stuff until I get all of the dirt off everything. Even though I know I’ll be down in the dirt again the next day.:laughing:

Maybe it’s because I’m a newbie, but I always have been one to take really good care of my stuff.

Take care of your tools and they'll take care of you.

Yup, you're weird. Joking! I can't wait to see all the pics of muddy detectors and accessories coming.

MuddyMo took the words out of my mouth!

Do you wash the car or truck after each trip? You do? Ok then, you're not weird, just OCD... :roll:

Just a little ribbing.

I have never been known for keeping anything clean. My wife calls me a clutterbug. I only wash my vehicle a couple times a year. Even in the winter with all the Ohio salt. But I have been known to put my detector in the shower. Now that's weird.:crazy:

MuddyMo took the words out of my mouth!

Do you wash the car or truck after each trip? You do? Ok then, you're not weird, just OCD... :roll:

Just a little ribbing.

Don't judge me, but I bought my truck in November 2018 - and I haven't washed it yet.

Whenever I see this question my knee jerk reaction is YES. But no really you’re not. The weird thing for me is that I’m that with with everything but my md stuff. Though I did a thorough cleaning of the machine today. (I’m new to the md scene only hadn’t my machine for about a week.)

And like it was said take care of your tools and they’ll take care of you.

Don't judge me, but I bought my truck in November 2018 - and I haven't washed it yet.

Hey, I never seem to was our vehicles anywhere near as much as I'd like to, but when I do I try to go all out and do a paste wax by hand, I figure that way the car is more protected if it happens to be months before I wash it again :lol:

Hey, I'm not the only one who cleans my gear after a hunt! I like to take care of my things & make them last. :yes: When it comes to cleaning, I don't know that I'm as thorough as you are, but lately my routine has been to at least rinse my shovel & coil and take a damp paper towel to my pinpointer. So, if that is truly weird, then I guess we're in it together. :grin:

Only time I clean my gear is after a bad hunt. Including my clothes. I gotta wash the bad juju off. If I have a good hunt , I don't wash anything. I will keep wearing the exact same stinky clothes as well. Can't ruin the mojo. Sometimes this can go for a week or two.

Nope, and I save enough every year not washing my car to get a new paint job on my ride.
So, it’s all a “wash.”

Haha great replies folks! I probably am weird in more ways than one 🤪 but I’m going to keep cleaning my stuff regularly.

My maintanence regimen

For me, I'm trying to keep the electronics box/pointer reasonably dirt free, particularly where I need to put in batteries and make cable connections, if I expect these areas to maintain a good seal with the silicon grease to stay waterproof. I try to keep the loose dirt/caked mud off stuff, but some films of dirt and dust will adhere to stuff so I will occasionally wipe exteriors down and spray water on the tubulars, inside and on the threads of the locking collars when I break down the device for shipment/transport.
I also electrical tape the top of my pointer so I don't get dirt into the threads and battery housing area to maintain a good seal.
The digging tools/sieves usually have some light dirt/dust on them but aren't gross. I have a tall water resistant backpack from Outdoor Equipment that I use to keep my stuff in, including spare batteries, use manual/tips cheat sheet and MD hit markers so I can return to the spots when I decide to go into digging mode (I like to survey an area prior to digging and mark spots where there are good hits from primarily non-ferruginous targets). I need to get color coordinated markers to flag good shallow hits and downright plain old good hits that are deeper. Mixed signals drive me nutz(iron stuff attached to other metals or very close by)! That said, there are times that I do dig iron as an inveterate artifact/relic investigator. I seem to specialize in flat irons and cauldron fragments (Double, double, toil and trouble! Fire burn and cauldron bubble!)???

Last edited:
Sometimes I clean other times no, I am a tired and I procrastinate.
We all have issues to a degree, some more than others.😀

Only time I clean my gear is after a bad hunt. Including my clothes. I gotta wash the bad juju off. If I have a good hunt , I don't wash anything. I will keep wearing the exact same stinky clothes as well. Can't ruin the mojo.
Sometimes this can go for a week or two.

:laughing:

…...if you do that you won't have to worry about people social-distancing from you, and they'll likely stay way far away :laughing:

…...so you look something like this after 2 weeks in the same unwashed clothes ?
detecting_in__old_dirty_clothes.jpg

Nope, and I save enough every year not washing my car to get a new paint job on my ride.
So, it’s all a “wash.”

Hey, just get a big bottle of inexpensive car wash soap and wash it yourself, the bottle might last you a whole year for under $10 and you get free exercise from washing your car :lol:

I don't trust those automatic car wash brushes not to put fine scratches in the paint.

Back
Top Bottom