Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Research and Getting Permission

Old 05-20-2020, 12:47 AM

Default Texas Public Hunting Lands (Off-season)

Has anyone in Texas tried MD'ing in the Texas Public Hunting Lands?

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/...7000_0112a.pdf

They aren't State Parks, but are managed by Texas Parks & Wildlife. They are available for hunting, but you can also get a limited use permit for activities such as: Nature Observation, Camping, Hiking, Birdwatching, Fishing, Photography, Scouting, or OTHER.

I'm leaning towards just spending my $12 for the annual Limited use permit and just giving it a try. Worst case, I still have a bunch of places for hiking, camping and fishing.

Old 05-20-2020, 08:57 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by GwarFreeq View post
Has anyone in Texas tried MD'ing in the Texas Public Hunting Lands?

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/...7000_0112a.pdf

They aren't State Parks, but are managed by Texas Parks & Wildlife. They are available for hunting, but you can also get a limited use permit for activities such as: Nature Observation, Camping, Hiking, Birdwatching, Fishing, Photography, Scouting, or OTHER.

I'm leaning towards just spending my $12 for the annual Limited use permit and just giving it a try. Worst case, I still have a bunch of places for hiking, camping and fishing.
Seems like a good investment for 12 bucks. Good luck

Old 05-21-2020, 03:04 PM

I would contact Texas Wildlife & Management first. They are very strict in their rules. In your Map Booklet under General Conduct look at the words, Disturbs or removes plants, wood, rocks, gravel, sand, soil, shell, artifacts or other objects from public hunting lands without proper authorization.
They don't give warnings, they mean business. look before you leap. I would have already been hunting them. You might be able to get in touch with the land owner that leased it out to them and make separate arraignments if its a good location possibly. Good Luck.

Old 05-21-2020, 06:14 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by SPI Treasure View post
I would contact Texas Wildlife & Management first.
Agreed, they might have clause's that even make it illegal to leave the trail in the off season. That's how our Florida state owned hunting land was.

Old 05-21-2020, 11:10 PM
Elite Member

I would contact Texas Wildlife & Management first. They are very strict in their rules. In your Map Booklet under General Conduct look at the words, Disturbs or removes plants, wood, rocks, gravel, sand, soil, shell, artifacts or other objects from public hunting lands without proper authorization.....
I love it. I absolutely love it. If these type "catch-all grey boiler plate " verbiage means "no md'ing", then .... I got news for you : It's not just in this one location. It's EVERY SPECK OF PUBLIC LAND IN THE ENTIRE USA.

Because I guarantee you that: Such language exists in every single city and county and state and federal park EVERYWHERE. Yet.... oddly ... there are scores of show & tell posts where persons gleefully post their show & tell from (gasp) Parks. How can that be ? *Certainly* they must have "disturbed" and "removed" the "soil" blah blah.

And if/when you can find authority figures to say that you have fallen afoul of these things, then : CONGRATULATIONS : You are the latest victim of "No one cared till you asked" phenomenon.

....They don't give warnings...
Ok, what do they "give" ? Tickets ? Arrests? Jail ? Confiscations ? Then I'm sure you have examples (links) of these type things that occur for routine such-sites, where no-such-specific-rule exists. Right ? Please let me see the links. Me thinks we will hear the sound of crickets.

Old 05-22-2020, 08:16 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
I love it. I absolutely love it. If these type "catch-all grey boiler plate " verbiage means "no md'ing", then .... I got news for you : It's not just in this one location. It's EVERY SPECK OF PUBLIC LAND IN THE ENTIRE USA.

Because I guarantee you that: Such language exists in every single city and county and state and federal park EVERYWHERE. Yet.... oddly ... there are scores of show & tell posts where persons gleefully post their show & tell from (gasp) Parks. How can that be ? *Certainly* they must have "disturbed" and "removed" the "soil" blah blah.

And if/when you can find authority figures to say that you have fallen afoul of these things, then : CONGRATULATIONS : You are the latest victim of "No one cared till you asked" phenomenon.

Ok, what do they "give" ? Tickets ? Arrests? Jail ? Confiscations ? Then I'm sure you have examples (links) of these type things that occur for routine such-sites, where no-such-specific-rule exists. Right ? Please let me see the links. Me thinks we will hear the sound of crickets.

I wouldn't ask if detecting were legal....

Camping is allowed. Camping will "disturb" more than any metal detectorist.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:48 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Bill_Ace_350 View post
... Camping will "disturb" more than any metal detectorist.
And do you know what the difference is between those campers and md'rs is ? Those campers didn't go ask: "Hi, can I Please disturb the soil ?". Yet for some reason we md'rs feel that we're supposed to go ask "Can I ?" on our end.

Shame on those campers for not asking !

Old 05-22-2020, 08:57 PM

Great timing on this post. I've been away from metal detecting for a while and I'm itching to pick it up again. I moved to Texas a few years ago and just don't know where I can go.

Tags
texas