Which Tesoro (or something else)?

bindibadgi

I'm a noob, so I've been reading like a mad thing, and trying to figure out what would serve me as a beginner detector, possibly to be shared amongst the family as well. We’re all beginners (we’ve done a little panning for gold and emeralds etc, but no detecting).

Currently I'm leaning towards getting myself a Tesoro Compadre as my first detector. I'd like to learn without all the bells and whistles, and maybe they can come later. I've heard some sad things about Tesoro, but I still think that would make a good starter tool for me.

We have a few old gold towns around us, so a bit of prospecting would be on the cards, as would possibly some trips to the beach, but most work would likely be coinshooting around town I guess. The budget sadly won’t stretch to a PI machine for the gold, or to a second machine for now. I’ve convinced myself that the Tesoro Compadre would suit our needs as beginners, and not be outgrown even if we progress.

I'd consider stepping up to the Mojave, but detectors are expensive here in Australia (for my budget at least), so I don't know if I can justify it. What conditions do people think would make me wish I could adjust the sensitivity or the ground balance (or swap the coil)? I’m guessing I’d use those if I stray too close to the waterline at the beach, but it’s probably not worth it just for that. Are there areas/types of ground that would frustrate me with the Compadre, or is it likely to do most everything I’d come across?

I’ve heard some sad rumours about Tesoro, but their machines are well regarded, and sound like they are well built, even if the warranty might not be what it once was (if it can be honoured at all).

I don’t expect everyone to have knowledge about Australian conditions, but I’m not in the big smoke, so I don’t have the opportunity to see machines in action or talk to people about them in person. Prices around here are not very friendly, and the best I can find is nearly three times the RRP in the USA(!!), so I strongly suspect that posting it here would be my best bet, which probably means warranties aren't much good to me whichever manufacturer I choose.

I've considered a few other machines, like a Garrett Ace 250 or a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV or a Fisher F22, but all of these compete more in price with the Mojave than the Compadre. They also don't inspire me quite as much in terms of the detecting zen that the Tesoros seem to encourage.

Thanks all!

Last edited:
So what's your budget?

I started with a 250, in iron infested sites it just didnt work for me.

Botom line is:

1, you get what you pay for
2, if your like most of us you will always wast something better,. So what you get you will think the grass is greener and if you just get to the next detector level, you will find it all!

I will say I believe the guys who started with single tone machines, I believe they tend to be better hunters.

Thanks Big Treble. Yeah my thinking was that starting with a single tone machine (with no screen or other doodads) would force me to use my brain a bit more and that should in turn make me a better hunter. Let's hope my brain can handle it!

My budget is unfortunately small, and limited by my geographical disability (i.e. being in Australia)! The Compadre would run me about $300, and the Mojave (along with the others I listed) more like $450. I don't think I could stretch further than that to be honest. That's Australian dollarydoos, and that's with me getting the machine shipped from the US. If I was to buy locally, the Compadre is suddenly $450 and the Mojave $550!

Of course, there's the used market, but it's not big here Down Under. That is unless I don't know where to look, which is a distinct possibility!

I'd go with a used Vaquero if you can find one. They can be had rather cheaply and are pretty versatile. If you're not dead set on a Tesoro, you can get a White's TREASUREpro pretty cheaply. It's an entry level detector but offers some high end features like automatic ground balancing. Or for a little more you could get an Equinox 600. Perhaps you can find a US seller willing to ship to Australia? I get a decent discount on FedEx shipping. Please let me know if I can maybe help you somehow.

Can't you find something locally used? You have Craigslist I believe, look there for starers.

I'd never pay that for a new Compadre. :shock:

Paging Sandgroper (?) on this forum, he’s from down under there :lol:

I like my Compades, with your higher currency coins I think you’ll be able to pay off a machine quicker than we could in the US, but my Compadres have served me well.

That's a good point actually. Our coins should be a bit easier to find because they're thicker and mostly bigger. $2 coins seem to have been designed to fall out of people's pockets too (even though they're not the biggest ones). I've found a lot of those without a detector at all, so maybe that offsets the higher investment somewhat! :lol:

We do have a Craigslist, but nobody seems to use it. I searched for "metal detector" and got no hits anywhere. We also have another site called "Gumtree" which seems to be much more popular. On there I see no-name stuff until I get to $275 for a Minelab Go-find 44 or $370 for a Go-find 66. The next one along is an X-terra 705 (dual pack gold) for $690. That seems like a better deal, but it's out of my price range I'm afraid.

There has to be plenty of good older Minelabs available in Australia...a Explorer or there's the Sovereign if you don't care to look at a screen. Both work excellent at the beach as well as in the dirt, especially if you're looking for the older, deeper coins. We still run them here in the States...

You'd think Minelabs would be easy to get second hand here, but they just seem to hold their value too well!

I think what I'll do is try to find the best price on a Mojave and then keep my eye out so when I inevitably decide I need more gadgets I'll know what to add to the stable.

Anyone got any tips on where I might be able to get a Mojave for a good price and how I might get it to Australia? That could be tough! :roll:

Why would you buy a new detector that basically has no warranty now? Do you know someone down there who can work on a Tesoro? My buddy just won a brand new cibola and it was a DUD straight out of the box. Can you say stuck because that's what he is ….

All brands have duds but at least with others you can get them worked on still......

Why would you buy a new detector that basically has no warranty now? Do you know someone down there who can work on a Tesoro? My buddy just won a brand new cibola and it was a DUD straight out of the box. Can you say stuck because that's what he is ….

All brands have duds but at least with others you can get them worked on still......

Just last night you asked kozman what he wanted in trade for his tesoro Tejon on another forum.Now your beating up on tesoro again.You crack me up calabash.:laughing:

As for tesoro,I have limited time on them but I think I’ve had more fun than any other machine I’ve owned.And I’ve found just as many coins and junk as I have with every other machine .I would suggest a tesoro Mojave,very nice machine,easy to use and a lot of fun.And you can’t lose money,they will hold they’re value,used they’re around $180,,and they don’t stay up long in the classifieds.

Ive never used tesoro, but I think an Ace 200 would be perfect. Not a bounty hunter, so you won't feel the need to upgrade right away, and it has digital target ID values...which most machines in that class DO NOT. That number that shows up on the screen can tell you alot about your target before you even dig it... I do like running my bounty hunter from time to time.. Just beep and dig, dont get easier than that. Plus I cant tell you how much stuff you WILL dig with no TID (target ID), that you WOULDN'T dig with TID. Good luck in your decision!

I know an electronics engineer, so repairs should be possible. A complete DOA is another story, yes.

The issue I face is that a warranty, from any company, basically carries about a $200 premium down here, because that's how much I have to pay over and above getting something sent from the US. Well that's one issue anyway. Finding someone in the US willing to ship here is not trivial either!

With any company the postage alone usually makes even a good warranty too expensive to make use of, so I kind of forget about warranties anyhow. All brands will have duds as you say, but from what I've read, Tesoro has at least as good a reputation as any when it comes to the robustness and longevity of their units.

That is rather tempting, although I had pretty much decided on the Mojave. I'm just trying to find a way to get one of those to me for a reasonable price!

Sadly, my philosophy is at odds with my financial reality at the moment. I usually subscribe to "buy quality and you only cry once," but with various health related expenses in the family, it's really hard to justify much expense (and my definition of "much expense" is pretty low!).

I just have that niggling feeling that if I get a Compadre, I'll wish I'd bought the Mojave. I don't know how bad my dirt is until I get a machine over it, and I'd hate find out the hard way.

Get the Mojave.
I have shipped detectors to Oz and its not cheap for Air Mail. Tried the cheaper Surface mail traveling by canoe over the pond. Took 3 months. And I believe you get nicked Import Customs fees. You have to find someone who would put a low value on it. Try this Oz Forum https://forum.kimbucktwo.com/buying-from-the-us-t30457.html#p303481

Take a look at The Golden Mask and Pirate detectors as a Tesoro alternative.
You may be able to get a better price than listed. https://thrace-detectors.com/brand/42/pirate-md.html

There is an older Minelab Musketeer XS on OZ ebay right now at $25 with bids.

Back
Top Bottom