Gridding vs. wandering....

ohiochris

Elite Member
Any questions ? :lol:

Attachments

• 20180421_204919.jpg
    20180421_204919.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 248
Wander with other detectors, until "hunted out".

Get Equinox, grid hunt, find stuff others "missed".

Equinox= Good

Others= Bad

:laughing:

I'll start-out wandering just to get an idea on what's there. If I make a good find or two, or have open-access to the site, I'll grid hunt.

Wander with other detectors, until "hunted out".

Get Equinox, grid hunt, find stuff others "missed".

Equinox= Good

Others= Bad

:laughing:

I'll start-out wandering just to get an idea on what's there. If I make a good find or two, or have open-access to the site, I'll grid hunt.

Same here , I like to get a feel for a site when I first get there so I wander around and sample the area. Once I am satisfied there is decent potential I grid the heck out of it.

I drew the picture and started this thread because there are people who never realized what they are missing when they never grid. There was a time when I didnt realize it , Im glad someone taught me the difference. When wandering you usually miss more ground than you hunt , you can literally wander a place for decades and still be missing half the site.

I tried at a few sites.
At this one things didn't go exactly as planned.
This is the one I would use most of the time.Works for me.:laughing: I do as Gauntlet does and just get a feel for the site. If I find some good targets I'll grid from there.

I'm a wanderer myself. I tend orbit old cellar holes after hitting the immediate area. The thrill is using the small coil and picking off good relics in places where I know others have slammed.

I have a theory that detectorists in the past were not using these smaller coils or their machines were really fighting these iron infested areas. Been getting a few good flat buttons and small items like thimbles. :yes:

You can wander a great site full of goodies , miss everything , give up on it and never go back. Thats because you may actually hit like 30% of that site. Its up to you , but you should never complain about not finding anything , you made that decision.

Can you grid a large area ?.....sure you can. Break it up into smaller sections using landmarks. Grid the place one section at a time. Now its not a large area , its a group of small areas. ;)

Wander if you must , but you should at some point grid those areas. Some sites you better grid before someone else does.

I always start out with the best of intentions to grid an area. But after a while I get bored and start thinking, "I wonder what's over there? or over there? or over there?" And the wandering starts. Call it short attention span or being impatient. But I prefer the term "wander lust".

Back
Top Bottom