Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > War Relic Hunting

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-10-2022, 04:54 PM
maxxkatt's Avatar
maxxkatt maxxkatt is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: North Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,214
Default looking for Civil War relic sites in metro Atlanta area

anyone not hunting Atlanta now, or did hunt in the past that is willing to share with my come Civil War relic hunting site in north Metro Atlanta?

In spite of extensive research, hard to find good CW relic sites any more.

please respond with private message.

__________________
CTX3030, Nox 800, AT Pro, Vanquish 440, Simplex+: hunt Civil War Relics and silver coins. US Army veteran. shout out to all veterans and patriots! No longer a metal detectorists, but rather a "Gold and Silver" detectorists.

Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 09-11-2022, 09:02 AM
atomicbrh atomicbrh is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Central MS
Posts: 612
Default

Originally Posted by maxxkatt View post
anyone not hunting Atlanta now, or did hunt in the past that is willing to share with my come Civil War relic hunting site in north Metro Atlanta?

In spite of extensive research, hard to find good CW relic sites any more.

please respond with private message.
The thing that irks me is when a battlefield preservation group uses donated money to buy up battlefields and then never detects it allowing all the artifacts that should have been preserved and displayed to rot in the ground. All they do is stand on it and do "expert" talks/videos boosting their own ego.

The second thing is when battlefield preservation groups use donated money to buy up battlefields and the people in charge use it as their own personal playground to detect artifacts.

The department of the interior is even worse.
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #3  
Old 09-11-2022, 10:09 PM
maxxkatt's Avatar
maxxkatt maxxkatt is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: North Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,214
Default

Originally Posted by atomicbrh View post
The thing that irks me is when a battlefield preservation group uses donated money to buy up battlefields and then never detects it allowing all the artifacts that should have been preserved and displayed to rot in the ground. All they do is stand on it and do "expert" talks/videos boosting their own ego.

The second thing is when battlefield preservation groups use donated money to buy up battlefields and the people in charge use it as their own personal playground to detect artifacts.

The department of the interior is even worse.
That happened in the City of Dallas, GA a site of the Civil War battle of Dallas, GA was open to everyone. Then the city bought the property a couple of 100 acres and instantly up went the No Relic Hunting Signs. I called the city manager and he told me they have a resident detectorist that is preserving all the relics. Yeah, inside job with brother-in-law or some other relative is more likely.

Just sucks, but what can you do?

__________________
CTX3030, Nox 800, AT Pro, Vanquish 440, Simplex+: hunt Civil War Relics and silver coins. US Army veteran. shout out to all veterans and patriots! No longer a metal detectorists, but rather a "Gold and Silver" detectorists.

Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 09-12-2022, 08:33 AM
atomicbrh atomicbrh is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Central MS
Posts: 612
Default

Originally Posted by maxxkatt View post
That happened in the City of Dallas, GA a site of the Civil War battle of Dallas, GA was open to everyone. Then the city bought the property a couple of 100 acres and instantly up went the No Relic Hunting Signs. I called the city manager and he told me they have a resident detectorist that is preserving all the relics. Yeah, inside job with brother-in-law or some other relative is more likely.

Just sucks, but what can you do?
How do you become the "resident detectorist"?
Just another example of government officials using public funds for their own private goals.
Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 09-14-2022, 08:52 AM
maxxkatt's Avatar
maxxkatt maxxkatt is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: North Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,214
Default

Originally Posted by atomicbrh View post
How do you become the "resident detectorist"?
Just another example of government officials using public funds for their own private goals.
that is what he called it. He is the only one they will let detect the property. I figure he is related to some politician in Dallas, GA.

Small southern towns that are still on the main edge of development of Metro Atlanta still operate like they did 50 years ago. Controlled by a handful of local prominent citizens. They bankroll the politicians who do the bidding of their masters.

__________________
CTX3030, Nox 800, AT Pro, Vanquish 440, Simplex+: hunt Civil War Relics and silver coins. US Army veteran. shout out to all veterans and patriots! No longer a metal detectorists, but rather a "Gold and Silver" detectorists.

Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 09-21-2022, 10:57 PM
Tom_in_CA's Avatar
Tom_in_CA Tom_in_CA is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 17,876
Default

Originally Posted by atomicbrh View post
How do you become the "resident detectorist"?
.....
I am the "resident detectorist" wherever I go. Presto: problem solved.
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #7  
Old 09-22-2022, 09:46 AM
Leave-No-Coins-Behind's Avatar
Leave-No-Coins-Behind Leave-No-Coins-Behind is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Keystone State
Posts: 7,490
Default

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
I am the "resident detectorist" wherever I go. Presto: problem solved.
So true and it works in other places too!

__________________
Equinox 800

Oldest coin: 1760 Colonial Half Penny; Oldest US coin: 1787 NJ Copper; Oldest US silver coin: 1811/09 Capped Bust Dime; 2020 FTY Clad: $1,635.36; 2021 FTY Clad: $1,496.91. Most coin amounts found on one single various of days: Quarters-165; Dimes-103 (2Xs); Nickels-53. 2022 FTY Silvers: 27

Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 09-25-2022, 12:57 PM
maxxkatt's Avatar
maxxkatt maxxkatt is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: North Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,214
Default deleted - posted elsewhere

this post deleted and posted elsewhere.

__________________
CTX3030, Nox 800, AT Pro, Vanquish 440, Simplex+: hunt Civil War Relics and silver coins. US Army veteran. shout out to all veterans and patriots! No longer a metal detectorists, but rather a "Gold and Silver" detectorists.


Last edited by maxxkatt; 09-25-2022 at 01:13 PM.
Reply With Quote


Reply


Tags
atlanta, civil war, relic hunting

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.