• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

ACE250 Coil busted.. what now?

Seaking406

Elite Member
The large coil (12x9?) coil that came with my ACE250 is not working properly anymore. I was able to trace the fault down to where the cable goes down into the coil. When it's connected to the unit, and then powered up, the unit will start creating a racket of pings and pongs and the indicators go up and down in an uncoordinated manner, basically it's busted. If I press the cable hard over to one side and hold it still, the mayhem stops, but as soon as the cable starts to unbend it all starts up again.

this started to happen after I had removed the coil from the unit to install the sniper coil. I went to change coils and this happened.. less than 10 hours on the coil..

(A) is it worth the effort to go through Garret to see if they will replace a busted coil?

(B) If answer A is no, then what is a good replacement coil to compliment the sniper coil that i had recently bought.. As superb as it is, I would still like another coil capable of sweeping a larger area than what the sniper is capable of doing. No use buying another same large coil to see it fail like the first one..

Thoughts of ideas?

Thanks in advance.. Spring is coming to our area soon.. might see 40'F sometime soon.. would love to get out there again..

I would definitely contact Garrett. In my experience, they have been more than helpful and even more than reasonable. I wouldn't be surprised if you end up with a new coil at no cost to you. Contact them and keep us posted.

A - Garrett seem to look after people very well, can't hurt to email / call them

Ditto, give them a call, even if you only have to pay shipping, they may repair it at no charge...

Many thanks, I've sent them off an email tonight, fingers crossed that they're as good as many say..

If getting a replacement coil from them is a bust,. what is another alternate coil that i could pick up that would compliment the ACE250 with Sniper coil?

Cheers

Did you reset the machine after changing the coils? Try holding the power button down for about 5 seconds after powering it up.

Did you reset the machine after changing the coils? Try holding the power button down for about 5 seconds after powering it up.

Yes indeed, tried that. One of the first things that I did try.. The fact that it stops going crazy when I bent the cable hard over indicates a connection problem at the coil...

I recommend the stock coil on the 250 if they are still available. Idk maybe they will give you a new coil at refuced price?

I agree with everyone else. Contact Garrett. Sounds like they would replace it under warranty.

If there's only 10 hours on the coil/machine, it sounds like it should still be under warranty. If so, Garrett will definitely make things right at no charge. In my opinion, it's best just to call them tomorrow (Monday) rather than waiting for an email response. You'll get someone right away, and start moving toward a resolution almost immediately.

Even if it isn't under warranty, it'll be worth talking with Garrett - they were extremely reasonable on an out-of-warranty repair on my Propointer. Repair will almost certainly be far less expensive than buying a new one. At the very least, it will give you another option or cost comparison point if you decide to look for an aftermarket coil.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Oh well What next large coil?

Just heard back from Garret, and not quite what I had hoped for, unfortunately.

They sent me a very nice response, that I should have it repaired and/or serviced from the shop from which I had purchased it from but seeing how I bought it while vacationing in Panama City FL and I live in Nova Scotia, that option doesn't work.

Though they agree that I did all the trouble shooting tests correctly to prove that it is indeed the coil that is dead, they would want me to ship the coil AND the control unit to their main shop for evaluation, to see what they can do about it..

Unfortunately, that option doesn't work for me either as I'm in a condition/situation that though this is a new hobby for me, it's about the only enjoyment I have since coming back from Florida and I don't want to be without it for any period of time. (not counting the costs of shipping cross border, insurance etc)

They did recommend that I contact a Canadian distributor (they provided me with the contact information) so I sent them an email asking for what they could do for me..

Fair enough response from Garret and though I haven't heard back from the Canuck shop yet, I have an inkling of an idea what the response will be about replacing the coil..

SO.. instead of purchasing another large coil from Garret that might not last any longer than I will, I am now looking around to purchase another larger coil from a third party company that would work well with my ACE250..

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Though the Sniper Coil really works incredibly well with my MD, I need something larger for big field sweeps.. that little 4" Sniper takes for ever lol.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations or suggestions (if you have that one, a little info as to why you think it's the best one to go for..)

The temps are in the low 50's this week and I am thoroughly enjoying dirt fishing, though the wife wishes I wouldn't come home so dirty ;)

Cheers

Don't underestimate small coils. You tend to walk slower and find things you would miss with a larger coil. They also are good in trashy areas.

Don't underestimate small coils. You tend to walk slower and find things you would miss with a larger coil. They also are good in trashy areas.

I fully agree and I do enjoy mine a whole lot, but at times, I need to pick up the pace especially with the missus alongside that I could easily do with the previous large coil, hence why looking for another one to replace the dead one.. But not sure what to get.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom