2 cent ?

Pioneer

Can anyone explain how the last two letters "T & S" are almost invisible on this 2 cent coin I found in Minnesota? Is it an error or just rubbed away on that small spot?

Attachments

• 2 cent - 05.jpg
    2 cent - 05.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 264
  • 2 cent - 06.jpg
    2 cent - 06.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 254
Based on the marks on the back in roughly the same spot, my guess is it is somehow rubbed off. maybe an inconsistency in the thickness of the coin in that spot and it didn't fully come through when it was minted?

The missing letters could be attributed to a filled die. Filled dies most often come about when grease gets into parts of the die which prevents the details from coming up when the coin is minted.

On the obverse the "WE" is also missing. If it has the small motto it would have some value! Nice find, I haven't found one yet. HH Jerry

The two cent piece is an exceptional find! Despite the wear, yours is in great condition; and the possibility that it's a grease filled die error makes it unique. Way to go! :thumbsup: Personally, these are among my favorite coins, as they were the first to bear the motto, "In God we trust." Your find gives me some hope; I would love to find a two cent piece here in the upper Midwest. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom