Why is so difficult to find a hunting buddy?

I was fortunate to tag along with two elite treasure hunters. It was eye opening. I was so nervous but they were so patient. I am very thankful for the experience. I will never forget it. I think it’s important to pass knowledge down so the hobby continues. There is more than just YouTube videos.

I mostly hunt solo for a number of reasons. First of all my schedule is flexible and I enjoy the freedom to go and return as I wish.
Second I have worked very hard to establish an excellent reputation among the people of my area because I am so careful. Somebody else can easily destroy all of that work by damaging landscaping, lawns or property.
Third, I’ve noticed lots of people want to go with me but not for me to go with them. It’s because I have some excellent permissions but they have none. I used to take people fishing but they often “stole” my secret spots and destroyed the potential of them. Now I conduct all of the training and programs for my MDing club and I’ve shared many tricks and techniques for getting permissions and I’ve realized the members do not try them. So I don’t feel obligated to hand out good sites.
Selfish? Sure. But honest. Lol.

I don’t want the competition or the loss of freedom to wander where I want without having to babysit.
On the other hand when my wife wants to go with me, I have a great time because we are out together enjoying the sunshine.

Absolutely! Knowing the family is interested and joining me is an increase in excitement and creates a desire to do my homework and research to keep the outings enjoyable.

Some years back, I had the maintenance contract on the big sandy area where they held the annual fair. I had the mission to clean it up shortly after that occasion. On two different occasions I told a couple other gents to meet me there and we would do some hunting. I had to arrive a couple hours early to get the mess up and in the dumpster and after that do the hunting On both occasions a year apart these invitees were already there ahead of the invited time and were cleaning the ground up with their detectors. They were both shocked when I told them they had to leave. They were shocked to see me get out of my truck a couple hours prior to the time they were suppose to meet me. Since then I just hunt my areas alone. Greed has no part in a hunting friendship.

I mostly hunt solo for a number of reasons. First of all my schedule is flexible and I enjoy the freedom to go and return as I wish.
Second I have worked very hard to establish an excellent reputation among the people of my area because I am so careful. Somebody else can easily destroy all of that work by damaging landscaping, lawns or property.
Third, I’ve noticed lots of people want to go with me but not for me to go with them. It’s because I have some excellent permissions but they have none. I used to take people fishing but they often “stole” my secret spots and destroyed the potential of them.

X-2

Some years back, I had the maintenance contract on the big sandy area where they held the annual fair. I had the mission to clean it up shortly after that occasion. On two different occasions I told a couple other gents to meet me there and we would do some hunting. I had to arrive a couple hours early to get the mess up and in the dumpster and after that do the hunting On both occasions a year apart these invitees were already there ahead of the invited time and were cleaning the ground up with their detectors. They were both shocked when I told them they had to leave. They were shocked to see me get out of my truck a couple hours prior to the time they were suppose to meet me. Since then I just hunt my areas alone. Greed has no part in a hunting friendship.

:exactly:
Seen this before too. Sure changes the way you feel about hunting partners..

I stopped helping hunting 'buddies' after many of them trashed several sites I showed them.

now I only hunt with friends I've known for years.

I really liked your last paragraph, better to try to turn a friend into a hunting buddy than turn a hunting buddy into a friend indeed that's what I'm looking for. Don't want someone to see me as a competition but instead to see me as a friend.

Yes

Third, I’ve noticed lots of people want to go with me but not for me to go with them. It’s because I have some excellent permissions but they have none. I used to take people fishing but they often “stole” my secret spots and destroyed the potential of them. Now I conduct all of the training and programs for my MDing club and I’ve shared many tricks and techniques for getting permissions and I’ve realized the members do not try them. So I don’t feel obligated to hand out good sites.

:goodpost:

When I seek a detecting permission, I always feel that property owners are more likely to grant permission for a lone detectorist. And I never did like being responsible for someone else's actions. I know what you mean about ruined secret fishing spots, had that happen before.

I hunt alone for these same reasons. I've lost permissions and one was probably one of my best (a bunch of 1800 coins) because a buddy dug terrible plugs and it reflected badly on me.
I have put in tons of research on spots especially colonial sites and everyone wants to piggyback off that while they don't want to put in the research.
My silver site where I pulled 200+ silvers was great until another clown got on it and left his trash all over and didn't know how to dig a plug. I'm out there to find stuff not to clean up after idiots.
I drove 2+ hours to hunt a spot that was hyped up to only get there and find out there was very little to find and the guy that hyped it up always wants to go with me because I find stuff and brings up the fact he took me to the spot hours away
Hunting alone is peaceful and I absolutely love it!

I detect alone most of the time. If I am meeting someone to detect I will wait till they get there to detect, not start on my own.

I usually detect alone. Some times my son will come to visit and we hunt together. I have hunted a few times with a friend but he moved. Hunted saturday with a friend looking for a ring that a young lady lost. Unfortunately we were not successful. I was very hopeful as the ring had belonged to her deceased father.

But there are not a lot of people that i want to hunt with. Now if i could get to Puerto Rico i would be more than happy to hunt with you.

Spent three years in the Navy there and learned to love the island and the people. I and my family hated to leave.

rn

I am 66 years old and not as physical as I use to be. I hunt mostly parks or other public lands and my main reason for finding a hunting buddy is personal safety. Of course it is always nice to be able to share your finds with someone else. I do not ask or expect anyone to take me to their private locations.

I imagined a lot of disgruntleness in this hobby based on the demographics of participants but this is next level. Best of luck to those hunting with a friend today. Beautiful weekend here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some "hunting buddies" you meet on the forums are just trying to gain an advantage. They want access to your good sites/permissions but may not have any or want to share theirs. So, its meet at a hunted out park, and then go from there, but someone has to be first, and if you share a good site, there is the stress of whether they will reciprocate. That is human nature, but I just don't enjoy that horse trading aspect.

I have enjoyed hunting with friends, tho, so I would put it this way -- better to try to turn a friend into a hunting buddy than turn a hunting buddy into a friend.

I think this is very good advice. The exception can be someone you met through a forum and over time you decide that person's values are much like your own. A good clue also is that that person has hunting buddies.

my hunting buddy died, a great friend in Georgia that was Chipk's friend too. old hunt partners went bonkers personally, or did not share spots with me. i gave up get it now or its gone demo spots to them even when i could not go. i had my best private permission that took me 20 yrs to get read me the riot act before the first hunt.. no one else hunts... regardless. NO ONE. made a few folks mad but this is a 3 generations of families friends and they banned their own family members for sneaking in etc.. so it is what it is.

ChipK.. i hope to see ya next year in Florida maybe.

Hunting alone , almost

I have 3 hunting buddies, one is about 50 miles away, the other 2 are about 250 miles away,but we still meet and hunt but not as often,we spend several days together before heading home,and we all have a great time and I looked forward to each hunt, we are 70 plus years of age and Im handicap but have a great time with my friends. When its only me i do get out and hunt and my wife is oproud that im not a couch potatoe. She is happy for me.

Newbie Looking to get out and hunt

My name is Don, I live in the East Bay, Oakley to be exact. Purchased an Xp Deus, Xp WS5 headphones and a Garret pro pinpointed. Just received my East Bay permit. Anyone in the area Want to go out and share some of your knowledge. That would be awesome. I'm a 55yr Union HVAC Mechanic, Love Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Shooting, Reloading, Welding now Metal detecting. Any like mind individuals interested?

Yeah….I’ve found that by actually being FORCED to do the work of finding places to hunt in my area because nothing was HANDED to me has served me well. Whenever someone asks the question “how hard could it be?” the response should always be “well, YOU give it a shot and get back to me”. It’s HARD to do, very much more so on public ground! I don’t care for the “tag along” thing, I’d rather get together with people on my level. First, I know they’re exactly as serious as I am. Second, I know they have battled the same road blocks as I have. And I know they are DRIVEN. Some people just are NOT, but still want to go find Seated coins in half an hour!:lol:
I’m fine hunting my area alone…no time constraints, no looking after a noob, none of that. That’s how I like it.

Back
Top Bottom