"Beyond Oak Island" Vero Beach episode

1715Hunter

Hey, all-

Sorry, I've been MIA due to many different things, although I did get to Cape Cod in October, and found a sterling ring (not Nat'l seashore, don't worry!)
Anyway, I was watching "Beyond Oak Island" last night, where Gary and the guys are detecting on Vero Beach. Gary got a hit which was a little twisted piece of aluminum that he said was debris from the Challenger explosion.

I went to my finds cabinet, where I have this odd little piece I found my first week detecting. It is either from Cocoa Beach (right below Cape Canaveral), or the Vero Beach area, I can't remember.

Any thoughts? Thanks
Metal bit 1.jpg

You can see what looks like a scorch mark on the left

Metal bit 2.jpg

"Debris from the challenger explosion" ? Really ??

We find scores of those aluminum molten turd shape nuggets at certain beaches near me. They are nothing more than aluminum cans having been tossed on to bonfires and BBQ grill fires/flames. They melt and turn into these little turd nuggets.

Fortunately they're light weight and mother nature quickly takes them out during storm erosion episodes.

Yeah, someone else said that, too- It seems a little heavy for a beer can nugget, but I trust your judgement. Gary knows a lot, but he's definitely made some errors in identification. Although I might just ask about debris when I go to the Space Center in March... Thanks!

"Debris from the challenger explosion" ? Really ??

We find scores of those aluminum molten turd shape nuggets at certain beaches near me. They are nothing more than aluminum cans having been tossed on to bonfires and BBQ grill fires/flames. They melt and turn into these little turd nuggets.

Tend to agree with Tom...

These little nuggets of melted aluminium turn up all over the place when you are detecting and are mostly melted drinks cans or BBQ trays...

In the UK we occasionally get aluminium debris fields from WW2 aircraft crashes, but to try to attribute a single blob of aluminium to a significant event is nearly impossible without some fancy scientific analysis of the actual composition...

Gary knows a lot, but he's definitely made some errors in identification.

Funnily enough I was watching an episode tonight where Gary found what was obviously a cog from a pocket watch or small clock...Even though he knew what it was, he kept pushing that it might be made of gold when anyone with half a brain was thinking "brass", which indeed it was confirmed as a bit later....

When TV show survival is based on ratings, debris from the Challenger, sounds much better than, melted can from a beach party. However, considering the size of the Challenger debris field, and the violent severity of the disaster, it could quite possibly be authentic.

I guess it could be part of that one thing and would be cool if it could be proven. But let's face it, it could also be part of a bazillion other things as well.

I’m that first pic toward the upper right it does look like the object in question is a piece of CAST aluminum….looks like a cast break. Perhaps I’m looking at it wrong. I do agree that the whole, “A blob of aluminum? Found on a beach? Close to Cape Canaveral? Could it be that….” is way beyond worn thin. You know why these guys are smiling and laughing a lot? Because NOBODY thought it would be this easy to keep stroking this nonsense for this long. I like the idea of what Gary has done ON HIS OWN over the years….we all wish to be successful full time treasure hunters! But when it’s that easy to make money NOT finding anything of PROVEN SIGNIFICANCE…then it’s a matter of who you were, are and who you want to be. Bullsh*t is a commodity in which some trade more heavily than others.

I saw the episode also, and when gary said that about it being part of the challenger I cringed...Theres almost no way to verify that. :blink:
But the aluminum slag I find on the beaches in So. Cal. dont look anything like that, they are dark grey, and look like crumpled up aluminum foil.

Back
Top Bottom