Bad experiences asking for permission, after getting permission, and in public places

when I was detecting all the time no one ever bothered me I think they were to intimidated to say anything i am 7 ft 1 inch tall so that's what intimidates them seeing a 7ft1in bear with a bunks hermit prospecting pick in their hand i guess i can understand why they are intimidated if they do stop and talk to me they usually figure out i am just a gentle giant LOL

I haven't had many bad interactions. One guy yelled at me while I was curb stripping and I yelled right back. He stopped yelling and asked me to be careful if I was near the gas line.

My friends were detecting the curb strip in front of the governor's mansion. Nevada's First Lady asked them what they were doing and they explained that from the sidewalk to the street was City property. That wasn't what she wanted to hear and they didn't push the issue and moved along.

I haven't had many bad interactions. One guy yelled at me while I was curb stripping and I yelled right back. He stopped yelling and asked me to be careful if I was near the gas line.

My friends were detecting the curb strip in front of the governor's mansion. Nevada's First Lady asked them what they were doing and they explained that from the sidewalk to the street was City property. That wasn't what she wanted to hear and they didn't push the issue and moved along.

Your friends were not too bright to push their luck there.

Steve

When hunting parks I just hunt and mind my own business. I don't make a mess, I don't leave holes and I pick up other peoples litter. I only hunt the oldest parks and I am at them often enough that the maintenance guys have all seen me, know I am not breaking any rules, and they just give me a friendly wave when they pass by. Earlier this past summer, I did have one young girl who was emptying the trash barrels come up to me and tell me I couldn't "dig in the park". I politely told her that I knew the city park rules and that what I was doing was perfectly within the scope of the park regulations. I offered to show her the regs, but she just said she was going to call her boss and have him come talk to me. I told her I would welcome the conversation with him. I detected at that park for another two hours and he never showed up.
In terms of curbstrips, I hunt them fairly often but I usually try to let the adjacent homeowner know I am there, what I am doing and that I will leave it as I found it. I also ask if there is a sprinkler system in the strip, just to make sure they know I am being careful. I have had a couple of people ask me not to and I respected their ask, but more often than not, the conversations turn into granted yard permissions.
I don't try to hide my activities because I am doing nothing wrong. I don't hunt at night because I hunt in the older parts of town that have some questionable characters milling about and situational awareness is necessary. Darkness does not help in that regard.
I can only say that if you know the rules where you are hunting and stay within their boundaries, you should be bold in your pursuits of the treasure you seek.

You are living proof that’s it is better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Back
Top Bottom