Equinox 800 counterweight

ThatGuyAgain

Forum Supporter
Hey all!

So I’ve been using my Equinox 800 for about a month now and have already made a few updates to the stock kit. I added a quick-disconnect folding mechanism for the control unit (3D printed), swapped out the original rods for a DetectED carbon rod set to improve the rigidity, then swapped the original arm cup for an aluminum one from DetectED as well. It swings a lot better than it did at first, but I do notice the weight of the 15” coil after ~30 minutes or so. I had looked into counterweight systems and really like the look of the Steve’s Detector Rods system. The only problem is that I just invested in the DetectED rods and have a hard case that fits the collapsed setup perfectly.

So now I’m trying to figure out how to get the same benefit while keeping my current setup. I came across this thread (http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,157201,164879) talking about the counterweight required to balance each of the stock coil sizes. My Leatherman Surge weighs 12.23oz. If I 3D print some kind of sheath for it that would attach to the back of my rod by clamping to the DetectED cuff, I could make a counterweight that also has some utility! It wouldn’t completely balance out the weight, but would at least make the 15” feel more like the 6”.

Has anyone tried counterweight systems or done a DIY counterweight system before? I’d love to hear your experiences with them.

Hey all!

So I’ve been using my Equinox 800 for about a month now and have already made a few updates to the stock kit. I added a quick-disconnect folding mechanism for the control unit (3D printed), swapped out the original rods for a DetectED carbon rod set to improve the rigidity, then swapped the original arm cup for an aluminum one from DetectED as well. It swings a lot better than it did at first, but I do notice the weight of the 15” coil after ~30 minutes or so. I had looked into counterweight systems and really like the look of the Steve’s Detector Rods system. The only problem is that I just invested in the DetectED rods and have a hard case that fits the collapsed setup perfectly.

So now I’m trying to figure out how to get the same benefit while keeping my current setup. I came across this thread (http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,157201,164879) talking about the counterweight required to balance each of the stock coil sizes. My Leatherman Surge weighs 12.23oz. If I 3D print some kind of sheath for it that would attach to the back of my rod by clamping to the DetectED cuff, I could make a counterweight that also has some utility! It wouldn’t completely balance out the weight, but would at least make the 15” feel more like the 6”.

Has anyone tried counterweight systems or done a DIY counterweight system before? I’d love to hear your experiences with them.

Here's a thread on the subject:
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=291695
I ended up buying Steve's detector rods, but I bought mine without a counterweight. I knew I could always fashion my own if needed. I might actually make one for when the 15" is attached as well. That sucker gets heavy quick!

I actually just got three separate recommendations from friends for Steve’s Detector Rod system and ended up chatting with Steve over the phone about his designs. In the end, he had everything on-hand to do a custom design for me and it was still going to cost about the same as the approach I was planning (turns out threaded connector inserts for carbon fiber rods are pricey). So I abandoned my DIY approach and ordered a new blue and black rod system that will still fit my hard case!

Since I took this pic I have upgraded to the DetectEd shaft and arm cuff but my set up is the same. Since there are no slots in the Detect Ed cuff to utilize the zip ties, I clamped the sheath belt loop under the arm cuff clamp. Plenty sturdy and although probably not a 1:1 counter balance , it helps and serves two purposes.

Attachments

• Nox counter balance turned.jpg
    Nox counter balance turned.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 459
A counterbalance that includes a Leatherman tool? I like it! Since you are 3d printing, you have many attachment options. For instance, one thought would be a beer holder, but the beer would get shaken up, among other problems with that idea. So, what is good shaken? A martini! OK, that may still be problematic, but keep at it. Creating useful things is fun!
I got Steve's rod with counterbalance, and like it a lot. While I was deciding whether to buy it, I tried jamming a heavy-base candle holder into the back end of the rod. If it wasn't so bulky and goofy looking, I might have kept it because it really balanced the machine out well. My advice for a better counterbalance weight? Determine the max length & width you are comfortable with, and concentrate the weight out as close to the far end as possible. Make adding or subtracting weights as easy as possible. Look at the design of stabilizer bar systems for compound bows. They are for counterbalance as well as vibration dampening. For a metal detector, just concentrate on the counterbalance aspect, and fine tune the size, shape, and balance!

It’s been a year, so I thought I should update this one. I bought a counterbalanced shaft from Steve for my Equinox 800 back in October of last year and absolutely love it! I go back and forth between the Nox and my Deus II, but the counterweight on the Equinox makes it much nicer to use for long periods. I usually use it with the 11” or 6” coils, but I do very rarely go out with the 15”. Even that monstrosity isn’t too bad for an hour or two with the counterweight installed.

So if you’re debating one of Steve’s detector rods, I’d definitely recommend them.

Back
Top Bottom