Newbie looking to keep it under $400

Draclar

Hi All,
After reading through these threads and researching a few brands, i think the Vanquish 540 may be the machine for me.
Id like to keep my cost under $400 and was wondering if i should be considering another machine in this price range.
Is a pinpointer really necessary with the 540?
Are there any forum sponsors that offer a discount for forum members that i should consider purchasing from?

The 540 is a excellent choice of a MD for the price.

Where do you plan on using it mostly?

GLHH!

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

A pinpointer is necessary with any metal detector. It’s probably the the most important piece of equipment you’ll buy for recovery of your target. Don’t skimp on the pinpointer,buy one regardless of what brand it is.
Now,at a budget of $400, your in a good position in today’s used market. Don’t be afraid to buy used,Ive bought dozens of machines used and never had a issue with any of them. And you’ll more than likely get a great machine and probably a pinpointer with it used at $400.

The 540 is a excellent choice of a MD for the price.

Where do you plan on using it mostly?

GLHH!
Well good question, id say for now in the state forest across the street from me for starters. A friend of mine has a brother with 40+ acres up in New Hampshire and he recently got a new MD and is itching to go.
Ive done a bit of Geocacheing and there are a ton of hiking trails near me.
I read up a bit in the Dos and Donts thread and another about getting old maps for my area along with permission to access.
There may be an occasional trip to the beach as i live about 30 minuets from the coast.
Like the title says im a Newbie to the hobby and hesitant on spending too much but also can afford to spend a little more for something decent. I suspect itll be something ill stick with and the idea has always intrigued me.

Hello and welcome to the detecting addiction, or rather forum. :D

See the very recent topic how important is a pinpointer. Bottom line is you can detect without it, but once you have one your never want be without it.

On that model I am of no help. I found after searching and reading, watching videos, prices, etc for weeks even anything can be found to look good or bad. I made my purchase and still wonder what it leaves behind in the ground - as everyone does at any price point.

I would recommend looking at the Nakto Simplex+ at $254.15 it has amazing depth, target separation, wireless headphones in the upgraded combo, waterproof, etc. Many claim it is on par (or often exceeds) most mid range models. Lots of videos of it on YouTube as well, and forum posts. See the Vanquish 540 vs the Simplex. That would leave enough for a pinpointer and basic goodies too in your price range.

Regardless you can always upgrade later by saving, selling finds, cashing in the clad change, and trading/selling current gear too. Or start a detector collection as many seem to do.

I reentered the hobby recently planning to spend maybe $500... I'm at over $1200 now. My detector, a upgraded search coil, pinpointer, digging trowel, finds pouch, headphones, rechargeable batteries, etc... Against better judgement I have kept a spreadsheet of all the goodies I purchased to get restarted in the hobby in the last 1.5 months. I'm already saving up for a Minelab Equinox 800 eventually too as it seems to be the best by a wide margin of anything I've read/watched, and with a military 15% off that helps in price - unless another detector turns my head before then. :laughing: The only upgrades beyond that requires spending lots more for a XP Deus or CTX 3030.

Best of luck and happy hunting

Last edited:
Simplex all the way plus you could get wireless headphones and pinpointer under 400$

I second the Simplex. I've owned mine for over a month and love it. I've heard many good things about the Vanquish too, so I don't think you'd be disappointed with either machine. The Simplex would allow you more room in your budget for a good pinpointer though. Good luck and happy hunting!

I do not own either of the two machines. But from what I read the Vanquish works better at the beach Something to consider.

The Simplex machine was my 2nd choice but the reviews seem to give the edge to the 540. The Multi IQ and the similarity to the Equinox 800, is what had me leaning towards it.
I also thought the Simplex+ took AA's but now i see it has a Lipo battery.
Ok i think you guys have me reconsidering. If i can do the MD and Pinpointer for under 4 bills, then i think the frugal side of me is convinced.

$254 for the Simplex without wireless headphones and the Nokta Makro PulseDive for around $100...leaves enough of your budget for a find bag or shovel/small digger if you want.

Simplex with the wireless headphones will run you around $330 so with pinpointer you'd be a tad over your desired budget. If you get the non-wireless package you get a headphone adapter that will allow you to use any wired headphone with a 1/4" plug I believe. You can add wireless later or what I'd recommend is get the Garrett Z-Lynk setup and use that. The Garrett headphones are MUCH nicer IMO. Of course you don't need headphones but they are nice to help pick up those quite signals that you might miss without them or to stay stealthy when others are around.

Whatever you end up getting, leave enough in your budget to get a nice pinpointer, such as the Garrett "Carrot" or Pro-Find 35.

With your budget, I'd suggest either the Simplex + pinpointer or the 440/540 + pinpointer.

Havent found this out yet but is the Lipo battery replaceable or swapable on the Simplex+.
I can stretch the budget some towards $500 (funny i initially thought $250ish, then it was $400), if it means getting the 540 and a decent pinpointer.
Was hoping to get a few more recommendations on forum sponsors.

Edit: I came across another forums post that showed a tear down of the Simplex+ and the battery is not easily replaced. The consensus was to send it back to the factory when and if it ever required replacement. Small concern as i expect the Lipo battery to last long enough until i either get bored or want to invest in a pricier MD.

Last edited:
Whatever you end up getting, leave enough in your budget to get a nice pinpointer, such as the Garrett "Carrot" or Pro-Find 35.

With your budget, I'd suggest either the Simplex + pinpointer or the 440/540 + pinpointer.

So whats the trick to not having interference issues with the pinpointer and the MD? I see a number of people discussing it, but why cant you just shut off the pinpointer when not in use and move the MD coil away from the hole when your using the pinpointer?

So whats the trick to not having interference issues with the pinpointer and the MD? I see a number of people discussing it, but why cant you just shut off the pinpointer when not in use and move the MD coil away from the hole when your using the pinpointer?

Buy the Nokta pinpointer which also works with the wireless headphones or if you go with another brand use the mute or place the detector 5-6 feet away while you dig and pinpoint. Of course you want to turn off the pinpoint between holes. Especially the ones using a 9v battery because those are stupid expensive and the life is not that long. Maybe 20 hours if you're lucky. The Nokta is rechargeable. It will be my next pinpointer for sure. Gets really good reviews too.

Yes that was before the newest update. The Simplex updated 2.77 or 2.78 has a Mute function, pressing the pinpoint button (far left) of the Simplex quickly mutes/unmutes the detector.

Good point it seems some sit the coil right by their dig, which is ever stranger with wireless headphones and no headphone cable tether to worry about. However everyone does turn off a pinpointer when they are done finding a target in the ground - otherwise the pinpointer will go into a lost mode alarm if you left it on anyway. The Garrett has a metal snap in the holster to help prevent that too by having it sound off.

Buy the Nokta pinpointer which also works with the wireless headphones or if you go with another brand use the mute or place the detector 5-6 feet away while you dig and pinpoint. Of course you want to turn off the pinpoint between holes. Especially the ones using a 9v battery because those are stupid expensive and the life is not that long. Maybe 20 hours if you're lucky. The Nokta is rechargeable. It will be my next pinpointer for sure. Gets really good reviews too.
Nubster,
Are you talking about the Nokta Pulsedive unit or is there another rechargeable Nokta PP out there?
Im assuming you are talking about the Pulsedive but i havent found very many reviews on it. I love the idea of not having to deal with 9V batteries but if the Carrot is a better pinpointer, then ill deal with 9V batteries.
Im just over $400 with the Simplex+ w/Green Wireless headphones and the Pulsedive but may just go back to the Simplex+, use my Sennheiser headphones and go with the Carrot PP.
I could be pushed either way at this point. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

Last edited:

The Pro-Find is supposed to have special circuitry to help avoid that when they get too close.

However, I've never experienced problems with interference b/w my metal detector and either the Garrett Carrot or the Pro-Find 35.

Nubster,
Are you talking about the Nokta Pulsedive unit or is there another rechargeable Nokta PP out there?
Im assuming you are talking about the Pulsedive but i havent found very many reviews on it. I love the idea of not having to deal with 9V batteries but if the Carrot is a better pinpointer, then ill deal with 9V batteries.
Im just over $400 with the Simplex+ w/Green Wireless headphones and the Pulsedive but may just go back to the Simplex+, use my Sennheiser headphones and go with the Carrot PP.
I could be pushed either way at this point. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

Yes. The Pulsedive. I've seen a number of people say it's better than the carrott but that was also on some of the Nokta/Simplex Fb pages so there's some bias I'm sure.

The Pro-Find is supposed to have special circuitry to help avoid that when they get too close.

However, I've never experienced problems with interference b/w my metal detector and either the Garrett Carrot or the Pro-Find 35.

My Simplex and carrot can not be within feet of each other or the Simplex loses its mind. I have to mute the detector or move it no less than 4 feet away.

My Simplex and carrot can not be within feet of each other or the Simplex loses its mind. I have to mute the detector or move it no less than 4 feet away.

I'm curious if you'd have the same problem with a Pro-Find 35.

Back
Top Bottom