Elementary...My Dear Watson

Silverhorse65

Elite Member
I've been detecting a local elementary school grounds that's been around since the early 1900's. I'll normally detect for an hour or two at a time. I've probably been there about once a week since early August. I didn't know what to expect at first, usually elementary schools mean lots of pennies with some nickels and dimes interspersed. This school yard has been much better than expected though. I've pulled close to $50 in clad, plus all the silver pictured. Sorry, but this one is going to be pic heavy.

Attachments

• 1918 Merc 10182021.jpg
    1918 Merc 10182021.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 520
  • 1950 Rosie 10182021.jpg
    1950 Rosie 10182021.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 523
  • Perkins 37 Merc.jpg
    Perkins 37 Merc.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 521
  • Perkins 24 Merc.jpg
    Perkins 24 Merc.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 515
  • Perkins 39 Merc.jpg
    Perkins 39 Merc.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 521
  • Perkins Merc.jpg
    Perkins Merc.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 527
  • Perkins Rosie.jpg
    Perkins Rosie.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 510
  • Perkins Silver Ring Three.jpg
    Perkins Silver Ring Three.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 522
  • Perkins Sterling Ring Two.jpg
    Perkins Sterling Ring Two.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 509
  • Perkins Sterling Ring.jpg
    Perkins Sterling Ring.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 512
  • Religious Medallion 10102021 silver.jpg
    Religious Medallion 10102021 silver.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 528
Me thinks that place hasn’t been hunted very well, until now! Never gets old, does it?:yes: Well done Mr. Horse!

Very nice pile of silver, congrats. That school has been good to you. Hope there is more there for you. What am I saying, theres always more. Good luck, Mark

:wow: WOW :wow: looks like you found some nice virgin ground, congrats on all that Ag! NEVER be sorry about being pic heavy.

Royal Congrats to you...another totlot hunter! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

KT never managed to get onto any really older school totlots and grounds, but was always amazed at the amount of coinage, and the occasional decent ring present! Just keep plugging away on it! Once you get most of the clad out of the way, you will open it up for deeper and better finds! :D:D:D:D

Congrats on all the silver! That sites really producing for you!
Thanks K, just wish it were easier to find more like this! I often wonder if that's what it was like in the 70's and 80's?

I like your persistence! And it's paying off. Congrats on the silvers!
Thanks Grey, persistence is a key to this hobby:yes:

Me thinks that place hasn’t been hunted very well, until now! Never gets old, does it?:yes: Well done Mr. Horse!
Thanks IDX, it's been so much fun I've even done some after-dark hunting there as you can see in the one photo.

Very nice pile of silver, congrats. That school has been good to you. Hope there is more there for you. What am I saying, theres always more. Good luck, Mark
Your right Mark, there's always more. I keep going back thinking "this will be the time I don't find anything", but it just keeps producing.

That’s some great hunting :thumbsup: !!!
Thanks Sweeper!

:wow: WOW :wow: looks like you found some nice virgin ground, congrats on all that Ag! NEVER be sorry about being pic heavy.
Always enjoy others hitting the jackpot as well! "777"

Definitely some nice hunting, congrats on all the oldies!
Thanks CD, not quite as old as that East Coast stuff though:laughing:

Nice silvers! What an excellent hunting ground!
Thanks Saver, now I just have to find the next one:D

Royal Congrats to you...another totlot hunter! :laughing::laughing::laughing: You know, I had another honey hole like this last Spring. It was right next to a tot lot. I showed up and there was another guy hunting the tot lot. I didn't go hunt right away because I didn't want him to know I was pulling old silver just feet from "his" tot lot. Then I thought to myself, "you're crazy self, he's probably finding the gold rings":laughing:

KT never managed to get onto any really older school totlots and grounds, but was always amazed at the amount of coinage, and the occasional decent ring present! Just keep plugging away on it! Once you get most of the clad out of the way, you will open it up for deeper and better finds! :D:D:D:D
Absolutely KT!

good show.
Thanks Tom, just trying to rep this lonely area of the Country stuck in the middle of the two Coasts:(

Wonderful finds..I especially like the last ring...definitely vintage 1960's..
Thanks, I love finding all the vintage stuff as well, especially the history of some of the relics.

Wish we had old untouched school grounds.:no:
I feel your pain, public ground that produces like this is few and far between here as well. I've been lucky enough to find a couple of areas, but have been to many others to find these. Good luck on your hunt for the pot at the end of the rainbow!

Wow - that's an awesome haul of silver! Congrats on a great hunt, looks like you found a fairly untouched site!

Older schoolyards are my favorite places to detect - you never know what you might find. It's hard to find schools that haven't been extensively remodeled in recent years. One older school near me has its old playground paved over with asphalt - I often wonder what's under that blacktop.

Wow - that's an awesome haul of silver! Congrats on a great hunt, looks like you found a fairly untouched site!

Older schoolyards are my favorite places to detect - you never know what you might find. It's hard to find schools that haven't been extensively remodeled in recent years. One older school near me has its old playground paved over with asphalt - I often wonder what's under that blacktop.

You're right, it's definitely becoming more and more difficult to find virgin ground as they remodel or tear down these older buildings. I'll bet there's lots of trick or treats under that blacktop! You'll just have to wait for them to decide it's time to replace it.

Back
Top Bottom