XP Deus 2 and EMI

GeoW

Forum Supporter
Just watched an XP sales video and as usual the XP Deus 2 was so filled with EMI if had it been me I would have been ashamed to air it.
Why are users saying so little about this awful defect in this detector? I can't get comfortable using mine with all that hash and trash and garbage going on in the background.
It does seem that every video of this particular salesman is prefaced by an EMI warning.
What am I missing?

Must be his location. I rarely have EMI issues with mine. Maybe it’s because I mostly use Fast based programs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use mine in the city all the time. Could be the frequency set being used. If you’re having EMI problems, it might be worth trying a different program. Fast uses higher weighted frequencies and behaves pretty well for me in most locations.

Last edited:
You write like you have an agenda but how about a link to this video you are referencing. I dont have issues with EMI on my Deus but would like to see what you are talkign about.

You write like you have an agenda but how about a link to this video you are referencing. I dont have issues with EMI on my Deus but would like to see what you are talkign about.

Sorry, link to or mention of his name is forbidden on this forum. I do have an agenda… you got that right, but i'm sure you are one of his minions so it really shouldn't matter to you.. :laughing:

Never had a problem with my Deus 2 and EMI

Are you relic hunting or hunting at or near civilization… street lights, air conditioners, machines, etc.?
Never was bothered by city hunting with analog machines.. That problem was solved in the late '70s. Wireless digital has reinvented that booger..

Deus 2, Equinox and Legend are very sensitive detectors and definitely can be adversely affected by EMI using their Multi modes in urban settings, near some Wi Fi sources, airports, first responder/police communications, power lines and transformers, electric cattle and dog fences and especially underground power lines and wireless sprinkler systems. I used to have similar issues with my former V3i and DFX too.

If you live or detect in areas with little or no EMI from those sources you are fortunate. Those detectors can go from a super noisy mess to very quiet and stable with little or no EMI around.

Noise Cancel adjustments for EMI don't do anything more than reduce the effects. They don't cancel EMI when it is bad.

It does seem that multi freq machines are going to be more prone to EMI and it makes sense that it would be the case. The particular video in question is really a mess of EMI, he probably should’ve waited til that calmed down to be able to really present what he wanted. Even my FBS machines can become pretty much useless in bad EMI, and Jeff is absolutely right….Noise Cancel doesn’t “get rid of EMI” in most cases…it just lessens the effect if you’re lucky. If the chatter still makes the audio unintelligible your only choice is to lower the Sensitivity or slap on a smaller coil if it’s available for your machine.

In bad emi the D2 was pretty much useless to me with the 11 inch coil. ..9 inch I believe woulda solved that problem,but I only had a 11 so yea,it was bad.
Personally I wouldn't benefit with a Deus 2 over a Deus 1,,I'm a dirt hunter and not a beach hunter

Agreed on SMF noise cancellation doing basically nothing. It's about as effective as trying to quite a loudspeaker with a tissue.

The only method that I've seen that can counteract EMI, is choosing a single frequency that is out of the EMI frequency range for that particular area.

At some sites, my Vanquish 440 is unusable due to high EMI, and no option to choose a single frequency. My Simplex often has the same issue by operating at a single 12 khz. My legend cures the EMI with the selectable SF, just as any other selectable single frequency detector would. Then of course by doing so, the advantages of SMF are gone.

Last edited:
Yeah, noise canceling doesn’t do much for me either. On the times I did get EMI, I cycled through the programs until I found one that ran more quietly (usually Fast or Sensitive). Park and especially DeepHC were unusable at some locations. I run a Fast based program most of the time and I use the 9” coil so I’m definitely less effected than those using the 11 incher.

Mine seems to deal with the beach EMI spots i hunt pretty well. But you can't hunt under a pier with power. You can tell an electrical storm is coming though. And it doesn't like being by an Excalibur on the beach. Strangest noise i ever heard:lol: But it may have to do with how hot the excal is? Dunno?

Sorry, link to or mention of his name is forbidden on this forum. I do have an agenda… you got that right, but i'm sure you are one of his minions so it really shouldn't matter to you.. :laughing:

Hard to be a minion of someone if you dont know who it is but by all mean continue to spout garbage when you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

Hard to be a minion of someone if you dont know who it is but by all mean continue to spout garbage when you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

Just type Deus 2 and Digger into the YouTube search function and you will eventually go right to the latest videos.

GeoW probably does know what he is talking about if he owns an XP Deus 2 (ll) simultaneous multi frequency metal detector. If there is enough EMI in the detection area, the Deus 2 will be disturbed by it and the user will definitely hear it and see a ton of jumpy numbers even with the coil off the ground.

The only thing that GeoW might not realize or is exaggerating just a little bit is the "defect" he mentioned. This EMI problem can happen with any VLF, especially high gain simultaneous multi frequency VLFs like this topic has shown.

If this is GeoW's first XP Deus product, he may not be used to the sometimes audibly sparky sounds that can be heard even on the original Deus and the ORX if the sensitivity is set a bit too high. Same goes for Deus 2. EMI plus the normal normal Deus sparky noise of these hot detectors can be hard to get used to and deal with, especially EMI.

The original Deus does not have nearly as much trouble with EMI as Deus 2.

If this is GeoW's first XP Deus product, he may not be used to the sometimes audibly sparky sounds that can be heard even on the original Deus and the ORX if the sensitivity is set a bit too high. Same goes for Deus 2. EMI plus the normal normal Deus sparky noise of these hot detectors can be hard to get used to and deal with, especially EMI.

I can understand that. I remember feeling the same way years ago when I sold my trusty XLT and picked up an F75. I couldn’t make heads or tails of all the random beeps and boops coming out of that thing. lol

A little sparkyness (is that a word?) doesn’t bother me much anymore. Other than FBS, seems like pretty much all modern detectors are a lot sparkier than those old machines from back in the day. They’re also a lot deeper, faster and more versatile. Just the price we have to pay for more performance I guess.

So jmaclen you saw the video too. That much "spark" should not be heard with any detector.
I do understand EMI as it was once an issue with older detectors under power lines but that was fixed in the mid 70s. Haven't been bothered by it since until the new digital machines appeared.
I do have three XP detectors as well as the Deus II and I don't think I'm exaggerating the issue considering the D2 is said to be a "game changer" and is as has been said over and over a $1600.00 machine.
My issue is really the salesman in this case having the gumption to turn that noisy SOB on and claim to test it on the same old preconfigured setup that's been debunked but he's still beating it to death and has for the past 6 months.

Back
Top Bottom