Post your best find ever!

Got permission in May to hunt the homesite of Daniel McGirts. McGirts was a Revolutionary War officer who became a turncoat and joined the British. After the war, he was banished to NE Florida where he had a plantation and then became a pirate.

Found these two items about 20 feet apart. The coin is a 1783 Georgis Triumphos (Tory's Penny). Minted in England to honor George Washington for winning the war (George Triumphed) since they did not know what Washington looked like, they used a bust of King George III who LOST the war.

The second item is a Victorian Lady's coin purse. Sterling silver overlaid with 10K gold, it was usually filled with rose petals or perfumed pieces of cloth and worn with a chain around the neck or waist. Valuable since the ladies rarely bathed back then.

Very unusual find the purse.
Definitely trophy case material,,,and the coin to boot.

I love this story. Alwways have, always will.

That's pretty cool right there. I've only been at it for less than 6mos now but can't wait for the day I find my first cache. I found a diamond ring in my first few weeks so I feel lucky already but a cache would be awesome and would probably keep me up at night just wondering what its story is. Great find !
HH and what a awesome thread this is. To imagine all this stuff came out of the ground, Almost to never see the light of day again until one relentless MDer'ist worked his or her butt off to dig up History. Best Hobby Ever.

Last edited:
I guess this is the one I dont think I will duplicate

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I guess i'llgo with this one

I guess i'llgo with this one

Attachments

• 1st seated (up close).jpg
    1st seated (up close).jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 777
I do not have a photo of my best coin find, but a 1921 SLQ in EF-40 is hard to top. Found in the Back Bay Fens in Boston, opposite of the Victory Gardens.

Back
Top Bottom