Doane gang treasure in bucks county

bigstemz

Banned
My Gf is from bucks county and spend enough time there as it is. I love Ralph stover park, its scenic, has a awsome stream and is all around a fun time. Now i love it more, supposably somewhere on its property is 100K in gold coins buried by this gang in the 1700's. Im researching it now. If anyone is from the area and would like to come along for the hunt id be happy to have some company! and yes we would split it, thats like a billion dollars in todays economy :shock:

is that park a local or state park?

I used to rock climb and that was one of the places we hit. I am from Chester county ,out near Downingtown. There is an old mill and a covered bridge near there to. Looks like alot of relic possibilities. What is the rules like up there in Bucks? Is Ralph Stoffer park a county park? Have you found anything there? I bet there is arrowheads near the Tohickon Creek. I up for a road trip. 2 other guys from the forum live near me. keep in touch.

I used to rock climb and that was one of the places we hit. I am from Chester county ,out near Downingtown. There is an old mill and a covered bridge near there to. Looks like alot of relic possibilities. What is the rules like up there in Bucks? Is Ralph Stoffer park a county park? Have you found anything there? I bet there is arrowheads near the Tohickon Creek. I up for a road trip. 2 other guys from the forum live near me. keep in touch.

Let me start off by saying, I dont have a metal detector yet but I am getting myself ready for when I do, when that will be will have to be left to the economy for now.

I spent about 15 solid years up in that area (I am from philly) camping, fishing, tubing, hunting and just having a good time. I read this post and started researching the details of this Doane Gang, pretty interesting stuff. After a few hours of reading I sent an email to the Ralph Stover State Park office inquiring about detecting up there and what parts are State Park and where it's not and even went on to ask if the Delaware River and Canal were off limits and if I could get permission and if so from who. Sorry that got winded!! Anyway I hope to have an email from them tomorrow and I will let you know.

Heres a photo of the covered bridge, theres more than one up there but this is the Frankenfield covered bridge.

frankenfield_noname.jpg

was up lootlooker?

Its some nice area up that way. I don't believe in ghosts but someone was telling me stories about a haunted covered bridge up there:roll: I hope those areas are not off limits. Stay in touch.

Fred, I have a bucks county parks permit for detecting. Stover is a state park so thats a different story. The Tohickon creek that flows through stover goes right through Tohickon park (connected to stover) which is on my list of allowable parks to detect.

If you want to get a permit go to core creek park thats the main bucks county parks office, takes 2 seconds to fill out the paper and they give you a permit. One catch is it does ask on the permit if you are a resident of bucks county. Where you might be able to use the girlfriends address if they ask for details but they didnt with me. I just said yes I live here, signed my name and off I went with permit in hand. Very simple to get.

The lenape indians used to be in this area too, Tohickon means - deer bone creek. So yes, probably lots of arrowheads around.

Bucks county, Pennsylvania: The Doane Gang was a murderous band of outlaw brothers who amassed a considerable quantity of money and jewels during the Revolutionary War period. They buried their cache, estimated at $100,000, in the wooded hills in Bucks County, but before they could dig it up, all were killed or captured. Their cabin hideout was located near the mouth of Tohickon Creek near Plumsteadville and it is somewhere in this area where their huge store of loot remains hidden. Tohickon Creek is also called Stover Park Creek. The Doane outlaw gang is responsible for hundreds of legends and stories dating to the 1770’s. The last hideout of the gang was a cave along the Delaware River near Point Pleasant and it was here that they hid or buried $19,000 in gold coins that have yet to be found.

Bucks county, Pennsylvania: Dr. John Brown was supposedly a member of Captain Kidd’s pirate crew in the late 1600’s. After Kidd was sent to the gallows, Bowman settled on Bowman’s Hill, now a part of Washington Crossing State Park, where he reportedly buried his portion of accumulated pirate loot. After the doctor’s death, searches were made for the reputed treasure, but it was never found and is believed to still remain cached on the hill.

Get your permit and I'll meet you there! :D

sounds like a plan

The lenape indians used to be in this area too, Tohickon means - deer bone creek. So yes, probably lots of arrowheads around.

Bucks county, Pennsylvania: The Doane Gang was a murderous band of outlaw brothers who amassed a considerable quantity of money and jewels during the Revolutionary War period. They buried their cache, estimated at $100,000, in the wooded hills in Bucks County, but before they could dig it up, all were killed or captured. Their cabin hideout was located near the mouth of Tohickon Creek near Plumsteadville and it is somewhere in this area where their huge store of loot remains hidden. Tohickon Creek is also called Stover Park Creek. The Doane outlaw gang is responsible for hundreds of legends and stories dating to the 1770’s. The last hideout of the gang was a cave along the Delaware River near Point Pleasant and it was here that they hid or buried $19,000 in gold coins that have yet to be found.

Bucks county, Pennsylvania: Dr. John Brown was supposedly a member of Captain Kidd’s pirate crew in the late 1600’s. After Kidd was sent to the gallows, Bowman settled on Bowman’s Hill, now a part of Washington Crossing State Park, where he reportedly buried his portion of accumulated pirate loot. After the doctor’s death, searches were made for the reputed treasure, but it was never found and is believed to still remain cached on the hill.

Get your permit and I'll meet you there! :D

If I can get a permit , I am there. Keep in touch.

This sounds really interesting!!! if anyone gets any more info about this, i'd love to join the search. im less than an hour from bristol, pa. please let me know.
thanks,
wendy

I'd be interested. I live near Langhorne, and just started MDing again after a 20 year layoff. Have an old Whites 5000/d, but I'm looking to upgrade soon.
Marc

I would definitely be interested as well. I live in South Jersey but born and raised Bensalem and my mom still lives there. Would love to join up...

According to this it says " Their cabin hideout was located near the mouth of Tohickon Creek near Plumsteadville and it is somewhere in this area where their huge store of loot remains hidden." The mouth of this creek is not in Stover park. Wouldnt the mouth of this creek be where it runs into the Delaware River? Could the searching be in the wrong place???

Did some reading on this when I lived back in Frenchtown, New Jersey. Just accross the river from that area. Never did get around to refining my research however. Sure worthy of more followup....keep us posted and good luck.

DS

www.StoutStandards.com

Howdy -- I'm from Lower Bucks --- Levittown, and I've done a little metal detecting here and there at local schools where kids played football and soccer years ago.

Found a few old coins from the 1950s, but that's about it.

If you want to team up in Bucks, that sounds great. My name is Dave Sommers -- I have a Garrett Ace 250 which seems to work pretty well, although I don't have a lot of experience.

Here's my cell phone. Give a call, and maybe we can team up. I have lots of time these days in the week, and also weekends.

215 989-7722

Dave --

Marc -- I'm from Levittown, and I got a Garrett Ace 250 detector a few years ago ... and have been itching to try it out.

so far, I've found some coins at old school playgrounds, and some other interesting things at various spots.

But it definitely takes a team... so if you want to call and go sometime, here's my cell phone -- 215 989-7722

Dave Sommers

I live in Middletown Twp, in Levittown.

I have time in the weekdays, and sometimes weekends. give a call. Thanks

Dave

Me, my uncle and cousin would be interested if you guys detect there. There is a ton of ground to cover in that region but luckily most of it is undeveloped so if the treasure was buried and forgotten chances are no one has stumbled across it accidentally. The best bet would be a bunch of people with large coils working grid patterns. A 2 box would be nice, I wish I had a TM808. :)

i am literaly sitting on the doane gangs treasure. its not in bucks county, the doanes were to smart for that. they didnt go far with it but they brought it over here to berks county. the property that it is hidden on belongs to my grandfather. but good luck in your search for other treasures

i am sitting on the doans tresure. its not in bucks county they were to smart for that. the brought it to berks county and was burried on my grandfathers property. i am in the procces of procuring large metal and wooden chests from a rock wall built by the doans

Back
Top Bottom