CTX 17" Coil

North Shore

Why you so expensive? I really want it, I've already gone all out with the CTX itself. Is everyone paying msrp for theirs? I am leery to get a used coil of all things.

Mine came as a freebie promo from minelab when i bought my CTX.

If you're looking to add another coil to the CTX i whole heartedly recommend the 17. You can quickly cover a lot of ground with it and it's DEEP. works great in fields and on the beach.

however it adds some weight to an already heavy detector so keep that in mind.

Mine came as a freebie promo from minelab when i bought my CTX.

If you're looking to add another coil to the CTX i whole heartedly recommend the 17. You can quickly cover a lot of ground with it and it's DEEP. works great in fields and on the beach.

however it adds some weight to an already heavy detector so keep that in mind.

My only skepticism is that some of the respected reviewers didn't notice much of a difference in depth in mineralized soil and I'm in Massachusetts which tends to be mineralized generally from what I read.

My only skepticism is that some of the respected reviewers didn't notice much of a difference in depth in mineralized soil and I'm in Massachusetts which tends to be mineralized generally from what I read.
If you purchase a CTX book by Gary Drayton, you'll hear first hand how the bigger coil undoubtedly gives a depth advantage.

I've owned three CTX's. Without a doubt, the 17" coil increased depth SUBSTANTIALLY! I mostly hunt the beach and our beaches are often laiden with black, mineralized sand. Of course we take those rough conditions up another notch by adding conductive salt water. With both of those unfavorable conditions, I still use the 17" coil to reach depths that are beyond the grasp of most detectors, especially those with 8-11" coils.

Finally, MSRP is hype. Talk to a forum sponsor and price them out.

If you purchase a CTX book by Gary Drayton, you'll hear first hand how the bigger coil undoubtedly gives a depth advantage.

I've owned three CTX's. Without a doubt, the 17" coil increased depth SUBSTANTIALLY! I mostly hunt the beach and our beaches are often laiden with black, mineralized sand. Of course we take those rough conditions up another notch by adding conductive salt water. With both of those unfavorable conditions, I still use the 17" coil to reach depths that are beyond the grasp of most detectors, especially those with 8-11" coils.

Finally, MSRP is hype. Talk to a forum sponsor and price them out.

Just the feedback I was looking for, thank you DaviDs

I’ll second David,the 17” is what I’ve found almost all of my old silver and copper with. The 11” CAN go deep,if conditions allow. The 17” simply has a bigger field. It finds deep targets consistently for me,and I use the harness for weight control if I’m swinging more than 15-20 minutes between targets. The 17” coil is my number one coil,hands down.

I bought the 17in coil two weeks ago for $300 ($230USD) and did a few air tests on it and noticed it goes a lot deeper on coins than the 11in coil. I've only been able to test it out once on a beach, and all the coins were shallow so I don't have much experience with it yet. It's significantly heavier than the 11in coil, but I hope to use it often on the beaches this winter.

I’ll second David,the 17” ...It finds deep targets consistently for me,....
I bought the 17in coil ($230USD) and ... it goes a lot deeper on coins than the 11in coil.

I frequently see folks with E-trac's and Sovs gridding out low spots on a beach. After they've moved along, I'll go to their low spot with the 17" coil and start pulling targets. One guy circled back around and said "WTH, I just searched there!".

As far as weight, yup its a little heavier. A lift assist device like a Pro Swing harness really helps. It you don't like harnesses, find a way to add a few ounces of weight to the back end to "balance" the detector with the bigger coil. Seems odd adding weight to the machine, but it works. Another idea is to buy a GPx battery. It is heavier, lasts longer, and will better balance the CTX. =)

I'll have to get it, I've already dropped the dough on the CTX, it's like getting a Corvette but getting automatic transmission or something.

Back
Top Bottom