Coin: Julius Caesar 'war elephant'.

Doug

Elite Member
Day out in a local field produced this Roman coin and by far the earliest silver coin I have found.

Thanks for looking..........Doug.

Just out of the ground.
CXejTr6.jpg

A9fR90d.jpg

"Julius Caesar, 100-44 BC. Silver denarius, struck April-August 49 BC.

Elephant advancing right, trampling on horned serpent, CAESAR in exergue / Emblems of the pontificate: simpulum, aspergillum, securis, and apex."

f2N7VHT.jpg

Good lord! I absolutely can't imagine digging such historic coins and relics! Amazing!!!!!!!

:wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow:

A Silver Coin dated 49 years before the birth of Christ. A absolute stunning example of Roman History. Even in England that is a eye popper on any standard. I don't know if the Julius Caesar's Roman troops toga's had pockets but if so one had a hole in it. Congrats Doug on one fantastic recovery. Trapper

Great Gimlis Ghost! Sweet Shards of Narsil! Holy Hannibal! A War Elephant Coin! Thats not an Eye popper! Thats an Aspergillum puckerer!! :laughing:

Do you have to submit that find to the British Royal Relic thingamajiggy?

Awesome find. And I'm glad that our east coast friends have something to be jealous of.

Thanks for sharing.

Absolutely stunning! Congrats on the find! And it's quite impressive that historians can even figure out a time period that the coin was minted, thousands of years ago, down to a couple of months!

MINDBLOWING!!! What a find, big congratulations to you - what a treasure of history!

Not all coins of Caesar are rare, but they are all pricey due to the demand. That supply and demand thing keeps interfering with my collecting. :)

-- Tom

Back
Top Bottom